NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

A question about trannys...

anmracing2

If I were to get a 6 speed (T-56) and running 4:11, is it better to have first and second close or wide? Would it be better to have 2:66>1:78; 1st > 2nd respectively or a 2:97>2:07; 1st > 2nd respectively? Is it better to have the gearing spread out for hard acceleration when your winding it up to the higher RPM's before shifting. I'm looking to be a street driver not a drag racer and I don't want a "granny" gear because I'm wanting to put the 4:11 Sure Grip back in but if I do, I'll need a tranny that can sustain higher speeds for a longer period of time. I thought about keeping the 3.55 open end in and if I did that, then a 5 speed would be fine. But it's too cool to say I have 4.11.....

Andrew ask your self this question "What RPM does the Gold Bar Car Come alive?" in the C5/C6 it wakes up at 3500 RPM and redlines at 6500. in the 71 vette it was 2400 RPM and redline at 5500. when you know the RPM powerband then go to this site http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html and input the information. It will calculate your speed MPH. then play with the RPM number and watch the MPH. Doyou want to be doing 25MPH at the top of First? and then 35MPH at the Top of Second? For reference in the C5/C6 at the top of Second is around 80MPH. In your example (assuming a 25" tall tire) The 2:66>1:78; 1st > 2nd Jump is 39MPH > 58MPH at redline (assuming 5500RPM) the other choice The 2:97>2:07; 1st > 2nd Jump is 35MPH > 55MPH at redline (assuming 5500RPM) Another exersize The 2:66>1:78; 1st > 2nd jump means. You are doing 39MPH at 5500RPM in FIRST gear. You shift into SECOND and you are still doing 39MPH. The Engine is now doing 3700RPM. Is that your power band? The 2:97>2.07; 1st > 2nd jump means. You are doing 35MPH at 5500RPM in FIRST gear. You shift into SECOND and you are still doing 35MPH. The Engine is now doing 3900RPM.

Granted this is in my el camino and not my vette. My el camino has 4.10 gears with 28inch tall tires. I had a wide ration lt1 t56 and then switched to a narrow ratio ls1 t56. As far as gearing only is concerned. For daily street driving the wide ratio was much much nicer. The transitions from gear to gear were much more even and flowed well. With the short ratio I drive it like a 3speed. 1st, 3rd, 5th. The reason being when you use all gears it constantly feels like I am racing and sounds like it too. The rpm drop from gear to gear just isn't enough for normal driving. The skipping gears works fine also if you want to do that. The tight narrow ratio is awesome for hard driving situations since you stay more in the powerband. Relaxed street car I would go wide. Fun race car I would go narrow.

So I guess I had it backwards.From the info you and Chad gave me, it looks like I'm gonna probably go with the gears that are wider apart with the 4.11s. Thanks for the info. I'm kinda surprised there wasn't more feedback on this type of question.

There are probably not too many people that have had the chance to actually compare the narrow and wide gears. Especially when considering just the t56 transmission. I only had done so due to needing to do a 6speed swap to keep my 4.10 gears. Then the particular adapter style clutch being used wasn't able to hold the power level. So was kinda random that I even ended up trying both.

I have been thinking about this for a long time but it just accured to me that I didn't really know what the difference is. I'm torn between the T56 or the TKO600. My other concern is having to cut the floor to get the 6spd to fit. That's why I'm considering the 5spd. Now that the interior is done, I want to tear it apart again...... LOL!!!

I'm not so concerned with the shifter. They even have the pistol grip so no matter what I do, it will get that and still be in the same spot as the original. The problem is the size of the case. Keisler has a new case that fits the car but only in the 5spd. I'm more partial to the T-56 though.

I just had a place make my tunnel for the t56 if you want to see. Carpet and everything is still out. Was $400 to have it done, so not on the cheap side. But really is needed inorder to use the correct crossmember mount for correct driveline angle. The only real complaint people have about the 5 speed is the rather big ratio drop between 4th and 5th gear. The 5speed is basically a 6speed without 5th gear. For example I usually cruise around in 5th gear on the streets being I have 410 rear gears. Not to say I couldn't use 4th, but 5th is more of a nice spot for me. With taller 355 gears, 4th would probably be fine. Sounds like this is going in a car with trans in front like my camino rather than say a c5 with it in the rear. So depending on the year, the style of speedometer is something to consider as well. Some of the trans only have provision for electronic speedo. My t56 has the option to run either mechanical or electric. Keisler and I believe some other companies now, have tunnel patch panels for some of the various cars. Not sure on price or fitment of the pieces, but have seen them while researching.

The Keisler setup looks good to me and yes they do have a patch panel in a kit. It looks like most of the places selling this have some type of patch. The kits I'm looking at usually have the correct cross member and the short driveline for the 5 speed. I'm waiting for one of them to get back with me to see what they have in the 6 speed kit. I can fabricate the tunnel so I'm not too concerned about that. If I have too. I hate that I just put the carpet in and I had to cut a hole for the shifter in the correct spot; now if I go with any type of Tremec, I"ll have a big hole on the side of the console in the carpet. Sux having to buy another carpet... Yes, I noticed the drop from 4th to 5th as opposed to 5th and 6th also. The TKO600 with the .64od had a cruising speed of 77mph at 2500rpm where the T56 has a final .62 gear which puts it at 79mph at 2500rpm. (Thanks for the link Chad) With a drop of 36% on the TKO vs 38% I'm probably going to go with the less expensive of the two just because the cruising speed seems the same but I still want to hear what the vendors have to say about the differeces too. I also wanna get some ideas from peeps who have experience with this too. Since I'm gonna run the 4.11, I would probably cruise the same as you. This car is no longer a track car so I want to be comfy when rolling down the street. It would be nice on the freeway if I have to drive it to work. 20 miles in a 4.11 car with an oe 4spd is no fun on the freeway... LOL!!! That would mean the 3.55 would be awesome for that kind of driving though but damn, I do have that 4.11.... Yeah, its an old car that needs to be updated in the driveline area for sure.... The speedo is no big deal either, the kit I'm looking at has the mechanical and electrical also. I would really like to see how your El Camino turned out. Let me know when we can stop by... Andrew

Keisler is having major problems shipping their RS transmission. People have been waiting for nearly a year after they paid for their trans, and still do not have them. I bought a t56 magnum from American Powertrain, close ratio, car has 3.73 gears. APT has been very good to work with. Cannot comment on the trans drivability yet. I installed it yesterday. I am waiting on the driveshaft an hydraulic master cylinder.

8+ years ago when I ordered my tranny from keisler there was a major wait time too (say 6 months). bummer they are still that slow.

Looks like the RS has been discontinued, before it was even delivered. Keisler,now has another new trans that supposed to available in the next couple of months. It is supposed to be even better than the RS trans.

Its good to know about the shipping issues. I'm sure if I ask how long it will take to get it, they will lie and say a few days..... I guess I would have to wait for it to arrive before actually tearing the car apart so I can drive it while waiting.

• 3 months later...
anmracing2

Well, here we go..... Placed the order now its a waiting game... NowI need to rebuild the 4.11's. Everything on this car has my blood, sweat and lots of tears but I dont know if i'm gonna tackle doing the diff. Sems easy enough but I got so much other stuff to still work on. Cant wait for the trans to come in. maybe I'll do an install party..

Ran 4.30's in my '69 Road Runner for almost 9 years.. chrysler 4-gear (fairly wide ratio) ..started with a 383 and ended with a 426 wedge motor. Seem to remember tachin 2700rpm at 75 or some such on the hiway ..cross country drives about once a month or so from SoCal to Phoenix to visit relatives while I was active duty.. Car averaged 17mpg with the 426 wedge (11:1 compression, dual carter 750 AFB's) .. only pulled about 14mpg with the 383.. both ran headers, I used a single 750 AFB on the 383) Think the 383 worked a bit harder to pull that beast at 75 altho it would peg the speedo just fine if required on any given day. I would have liked to run an overdrive for hiway driving for a fact .. just never had the opportunity to do so. The Chevelle ended up with a close ratio T-10 in it after destroying an M-21 and an M-22 so called 'rock crusher' ..I ran 4.10's in that car with fairly tall back tires (30" or so) ..the motor (tunnel-rammed L-88 based Rat) was an rpm fiend and got happy at 3500 and pulled hard to the 7600 redline. ..due to the 332 duration, .617 lift cam in it. It was fun on the freeway ..the lope would smooth out about 75mph. The vette will get 4.10's in it as soon as I can swing it :) I am ..after all .. a gearhead :) -Frank

• 1 month later...

I just got finished redoing the 4.11 :banannarainbow: Can't wait to put it back in. Gonna wait for the trans though. May as well do it all at once. I am stoked! Can't wait to start tearing her apart again.... Dang, I got her put together just in time for the Good-Guys show and now she's gonna get torn apart again....

I'm not so concerned with the shifter.

Perhaps you should be... :devilwinking:

:jester

finallyavette

I'm going to pick up the TKO600 from Amp Performance in Tempe this week. There are a ton of copies of the Kiesler setup now. I looked at: Hurst Drivelines American Powertrain Kiesler and a few other no name shops All in the same price range, so I figured I would suck it up, pay the tax and support a local business.

Bromley's Corvettes

I could have saved you the tax. I buy from AMP. Posted Image

finallyavette

Well you are going to be getting a telephone call - you qualify as a local business as well :D I gotta learn to ask around in the ace crowd a bit more.