• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MOTV8

• Shifty

• Desertdawg

• Two Fangs

Top Posters In This Topic

Desertdawg

Corvette got some great coverage in that race, I guess securing first and second place, plus the pass of the day helps.. :lol

I likes that Tequila Patron one, looks like an [british accent] ad-ver-tis-ment [british accent] :smilelol

Corvette Racing tests at Le Mans

Posted Image

When 10-year-old Jordan Taylor first visited the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2001, the youngster immediately understood that this event was special. Now 11 years later, Taylor is returning to Le Mans – not as a spectator, but as a driver in the world's most prestigious sports car race.

On Sunday, June 3, the 21-year-old college student from Florida will fulfill a lifelong ambition when he participates in the Le Mans Test Day with Corvette Racing. Taylor will be teamed with Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia in the No. 73 Compuware Corvette C6.R – drivers who have a total of seven victories at the legendary Circuit des 24 Heures du Mans. The rookie driver must complete 10 laps on the immense 8.5-mile course during Test Day to be eligible to compete in the storied 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 16-17.

The Test Day is crucial for the Corvette Racing team as well. It will be the only opportunity to run the new wide-body Corvette C6.Rs on the circuit before the start of practice and qualifying on June 13. The Corvette Racing engineering team is eager to see how the revised body design, enhanced aero package, updated suspension, and optimized Michelin tires perform on the high-speed course that combines purpose-built track sections with public roads.

"I went to Le Mans in 2001 and 2002 to watch my Dad drive in the race," Taylor said. "I remember going around the track, seeing the cars at Indianapolis corner, watching the drivers parade, and taking it all in. I thought how amazing it would be to someday compete in the race.

"Le Mans seemed so massive," he recalled. "We left the paddock and it took 20 minutes to drive to another corner. That was when I realized just how huge the track is."

Along with undeniable speed and uncommon maturity, Taylor brings an impeccable pedigree to endurance racing. He is the son of championship-winning driver Wayne Taylor, who won the LMP1 class at Le Mans in 1998. Jordan, runner-up in the 2011 Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series GT championship in a Chevrolet Camaro, made his debut with Corvette Racing in the season-opening Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring in March. He took the lead in the GT class in his first stint in the No. 3 Corvette C6.R that ultimately finished second in the 12-hour enduro.

"I've been talking with Jan and Antonio about Le Mans since our first test in January," Taylor said. "They've told me what to expect and given me advice on how to focus on the race. I've driven the track on video games and studied onboard camera videos to get up to speed. I've watched Steve McQueen's Le Mans movie with my Dad, and he's told me about racing in the rain and driving from daylight into darkness. All of this input is great, but it's still going to be a whole new experience when I get to Le Mans."

Taylor's teammates are eager to teach their young co-driver about the intricacies of the race. "Le Mans has something different that every driver has to learn," said Garcia. "After you do Le Mans two or three times, you get in the rhythm and everything flows. This is the perfect year for Jordan to come to Le Mans as a rookie. In previous years, we've gone straight into Le Mans race week, but this year the pre-race test will give him a bit more time."

Magnussen agreed: "That's the key, to try to help him to find his own rhythm," he said. "I told him not to worry so much about lap time in the beginning, just find the rhythm and the speed will build."

Along with the challenges of Le Mans, Taylor also will face a grueling travel schedule in June. After driving the Autohaus Motorsports Chevrolet Camaro in the Chevrolet Grand-Am 200 in Detroit on Saturday, June 2, he'll fly overnight to Le Mans for the one-day test on June 3. Then it's back to the U.S. for the next Grand-Am round at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on June 8-9, followed by another transatlantic dash to Le Mans for scrutineering (technical inspection) on Monday, June 11. After a week of preparation, practice, and qualifying, the 24 Hours of Le Mans will conclude at 3 p.m. local time on Sunday, June 17. Then Taylor jets back to the U.S. for a Grand-Am race at Road America on June 21-23.

Richard Westbrook also will be commuting between the U.S. and France. The Englishman will share the No. 74 Compuware Corvette C6.R in Le Mans with Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner. He'll also compete in the Grand-Am series with the Spirit of Daytona Corvette Daytona Prototype.

Corvette Racing has a long list of items to check off during the eight-hour Test Day.

"With the new bodywork and suspension, we need to test the Corvette C6.R's straight-line speed, evaluate the balance in braking zones and high-speed corner entries, and run through all of the different Michelin tire options," Gavin explained. "Of course we want to be fast, we want to be quick, but there is a list of things we want to tick off – make sure the car is reliable, consistent, and comfortable for the drivers.

"You always think eight hours is so much time, but it just goes by in a heartbeat," Gavin continued. "A lap at Le Mans is more than four minutes, so to do one timed lap you're looking at 12 minutes with an out-lap and an in-lap. Every time you make a change, the time just runs like sand through your fingers. You've got to make every run count and make every single outing worthwhile."

For Milner, the Le Mans Test Day will mark his return to the circuit where he scored his first victory with Corvette Racing last year. "Things always change in racing, but this year the team has taken the biggest step since the transition from the GT1 class to GT," Milner noted. "The good news is that it's still a Corvette, and we've seen in the first three rounds of the American Le Mans Series that we're competitive. Everyone who works at Corvette Racing has a no-compromise attitude, and they will do everything they can to make the cars fast, safe, and reliable."

Corvette Racing's next event is the Test Day in Le Mans, France, on June 3, followed by the 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 16-17.

:Jake:

And finally, it becomes official, rather than rumor: ALMS to Circuit of The Americas in 2013 Acclaimed Texas facility welcomes Global Leader in Green Racing BRASELTON, Ga. (June 1, 2012) – The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón (ALMS) announced today that its 2013 season will include a race at Circuit of The Americas (COTA) – the soon-to-be-completed motorsports, entertainment and business development complex in Austin, Texas. The ALMS event will take place during the spring portion of the 2013 race schedule, which will be announced later this year. Located less than 15 miles from the Texas state capital’s central business district, the unique 3.4-mile Circuit of The Americas will serve as a leader in sustainability through high-performance operations, design, research, education and partnerships, track developers say. “The opportunity to partner with the Circuit of The Americas and bring North America’s premier sports car racing series to fans across Texas, at what is going to be one of the finest road-racing facilities in the world, is a natural fit for all involved,” ALMS President and CEO Scott Atherton said. “The addition of Circuit of The Americas to our schedule will be very well-received by our fans and stakeholders alike. We know we have a lot of ALMS fans in Texas, and for our teams, manufacturers and sponsors, Austin and the surrounding region represent an important new business market.” COTA’s configuration includes 20 turns and a 133-foot elevation change as cars travel counterclockwise. Featuring architectural components from several world-renowned road courses, the $400 million facility will accommodate up to 120,000 fans and will be one of only 26 Grade 1-certified motorsports facilities in the world. In addition to its state-of-the-art racing accommodations, COTA will include a visitors center featuring outdoor live music space and a museum; a 40,000-square foot conference/media center; the ability to service technology, business and education needs; and a large medical center offering paramedic services, and EMS and medical student training, with other proposed amenities highlighting the complex’s master plan. “Our vision is to bring premier sports and entertainment programming to Circuit of The Americas and to partner with motorsports organizations that put a premium on innovation, fan experience and environmental sustainability,” Circuit President Steve Sexton said. “The American Le Mans Series – with its highly competitive, customer-focused programming and its well-known commitment to Green Racing – certainly fits that vision. The ALMS at Circuit of The Americas will be an endurance race, which will be another thrilling experience for fans. We know ALMS fans to be extremely loyal and engaged, and we look forward to showing them a great time in Central Texas.” The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón is the certified Global Leader in Green Racing and is the only motorsports series to comply with the Green Racing protocols developed by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and SAE International (SAE). These organizations see Green Racing as a way to foster technology developments for tomorrow’s production vehicles, enhance national energy security and reduce carbon emissions. “The American Le Mans Series is the model for sustainability in the motorsports industry,” added Edgar Ferrara, sustainability director for the Circuit. “The Series’ commitment to environmental stewardship matches our own, as Circuit of The Americas has joined the Green Sports Alliance and is the first road racing facility to join the alliance. It’s rewarding to partner with a motorsports series that’s truly in sync with a cause that matters to us.” “Knowing of Circuit of The Americas’ focus on innovation and sustainability, the opportunity to showcase our cars, our teams and our pioneering role as the recognized Global Leader in Green Racing just makes it that much better,” Atherton said. “Our competitors are looking forward to the challenge and intrigue of racing on what will be a world-class motorsports venue, and our Series is thrilled to welcome Circuit of The Americas as a key round for our 15th championship season.” Round 4 of the 2012 American Le Mans Series season is the Northeast Grand Prix from Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Conn. The race airs live, Saturday, July 7, at 4 p.m. ET on ESPN2. ESPN3 streams the race live, beginning at 2:45 p.m. ET. The Series’ official website, ALMS.com, offers live in-car cameras, timing and scoring, and a live broadcast feed for viewers outside the U.S. The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón is based on the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans and is North America’s premier sports car racing championship. It features multiple classes of purpose-built prototypes and production-based GT cars that race on the same track at the same time. The ALMS holds events annually throughout North America on premier urban street circuits and top permanent natural terrain road courses. As the Global Leader of Green Racing, the American Le Mans Series enjoys a leadership role in motorsports for the furthering of alternative fuel technology and use. It also illustrates deeper the Series’ relevance to its list of prestigious manufacturers and affluent consumer base. The ALMS is the only motorsports body in the world that allows multiple street-legal alternative energy sources - E10 and E85 cellulosic ethanols, isobutanol, clean diesel and hybrid technologies. Mo venues, mo better! Imagine if they were to tack down Inde! :3gears:

COTA’s configuration includes 20 turns and a 133-foot elevation change as cars travel counterclockwise. Featuring architectural components from several world-renowned road courses, the $400 million facility will accommodate up to 120,000 fans and will be one of only 26 Grade 1-certified motorsports facilities in the world. In addition to its state-of-the-art racing accommodations, COTA will include a visitors center featuring outdoor live music space and a museum; a 40,000-square foot conference/media center; the ability to service technology, business and education needs; and a large medical center offering paramedic services, and EMS and medical student training, with other proposed amenities highlighting the complex’s master plan.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:Jake:Corvette Racing Tops GTE-Pro Times :Jake:

Posted Image

Corvette Racing finished the Le Mans Test Day in first and fourth in the GTE Pro class after Oliver Gavin managed to put his #74 Compuware Corvette C6.R on top of the time sheets with a 3:58.971.

His rookie teammate Jordan Taylor managed to place fourth, despite an encounter with the tyre wall at the Porsche Curves.

The pace was encouraging for the Corvette team, with Gavin’s lap more than a half a second quicker than the qualifying pace last year at the 8.5-mile circuit.

“We made some changes to the suspension and gearbox, and the track was coming in,” said Gavin. “The balance of the car was good. We didn’t get a run on new tires because of rain and yellow flags, but the tires were reasonably fresh and I wanted to see what we could do. I think the chassis is very close and the engine department is making big steps forward. I’m with the best team in the pit lane and the crew has done a stellar job of preparing the cars.”

Teammate Taylor only arrived at the French circuit minutes before the session, after he took an overnight flight from the Chevrolet Grand-Am Detroit 200 on Saturday, in which he co-drove the class-winning Camero GT.R. Taylor’s Le Mans debut started well before an abrupt end when he hit the tyre wal at the Porsche Curves. Taylor was uninjured, but the #73 Corvette sustained enough damage to end his afternoon.

“Racing takes you from the highest highs to the lowest lows,” Taylor said. “I was living the dream, driving at Le Mans, and the dream just ends when you lose it like that. I know the crew can put the car back together, but it shouldn’t have happened.”

“I was only supposed to get my 10 laps in and I guess I got a bit greedy trying to learn the track and get up to speed quicker,” he explained. “My times were coming down every lap, but I went for it in the Porsche Curves and it caught me out. The hit felt bigger than it was, so I’m glad about that, but I feel terrible for everyone.”

Before Taylor’s off, co-drivers Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia put the #73 Corvette near the 4-minute mark on a day of mixed conditions.

“All’s good,” Garcia said. “We have been trying different things today, getting the 2012-spec car dialed in to this track. At Le Mans, every lap always counts, even if it rains for a while. You never know what the weather and track conditions will be in qualifying and the race, so you try to get as much information today to work with next week when it matters. Compared to last year, the new car is a major improvement.”

Richard Westbrook, who will partner Gavin and Tommy Milner in the #74 Corvette, was unable to attend the test day. However, Milner is confident this wont be too much of an issue.

“It’s always good when your car number is on the top of the timing screen,” Milner said. “Compared to last year, the driveability of the car is better and the speed is there. This team is working very well together – the engineers, the crew, and the drivers are all in tune and have the same mindset. When race week arrives, we can focus on getting into a rhythm, getting Richard comfortable in the car, and go on from there.”

Corvette Racing’s team manager Gary Pratt believes his cars and drivers are ready for the race.

“All of the drivers are really comfortable with the cars,” Pratt noted. “They feel they can be aggressive and attack the course. That’s a great way to have a car to start the race. We may sacrifice a little on the straightaway to have the cars good in the corners, and I think that’s better for the race."

I wish it would have been streamed... :toetap

+1 :yesnod

Teh Olly blurb...

2012 Le Mans 24: Successful Le Mans Test For Oliver Gavin

Corvette Racing’s Oliver Gavin ended the official Le Mans Test Day by posting the fastest GTE-Pro time in the afternoon session and was only edged to second overall in the combined morning/afternoon session by just under a tenth of a second. His fastest time of 3:58.971 was quicker than last year’s qualifying time, and bodes well for the 24 Hour race in two weeks.

After heavy overnight rain and thunderstorms, it was a cool, damp track which greeted the 61 cars on Sunday morning for the only official test day before the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The GTE-Pro class, in which the Corvette Racing entries feature, includes some of the most iconic names in the automotive world and the competition between Aston Martin, Corvette, Ferrari and Porsche is a fierce as ever. After a steady start in the morning session, big steps forward were made.

"We made some changes to the suspension and gearbox between the morning and afternoon sessions, and the track was coming in once some rubber had been laid down and it was cleaned up a bit," said Olly after his fast lap. "The balance of the car was good. We didn't get a run on new tyres because of rain and yellow flags, but they were reasonably fresh and I wanted to see what we could do. I think the chassis is very close and the engine department is making big steps forward. I'm with the best team in the pit lane and the crew has done a stellar job of preparing the cars."

Oliver shared the running of the No. 74 Corvette C6R with Tommy Milner for the test sessions as their endurance team mate, Richard Westbrook, was in the USA on Grand-Am duty. Also on duty, but required to make the trip as he is a Le Mans rookie, was Jordan Taylor in the No. 73 Corvette. After co-driving the GT class-winning Camaro GT.R in the Chevrolet Grand-Am Detroit 200 on Saturday, the 21-year-old took an overnight flight to Paris and then hopped on a helicopter to Le Mans. He arrived at the circuit just before the start of the afternoon session at 2 pm, and promptly completed his required 10 laps.

Jordan’s Le Mans debut then ended abruptly in the tyre wall at the entrance to the Porsche Curves. He was uninjured, but the No. 73 Corvette had right-side body damage and did not return for the remainder of the afternoon session. "Racing takes you from the highest highs to the lowest lows," Jordan said. "I was living the dream, driving at Le Mans, and the dream just ends when you lose it like that. I know the crew can put the car back together, but it shouldn't have happened.

"I was only supposed to get my 10 laps in and I guess I got a bit greedy trying to learn the track and get up to speed quicker," he explained. "My times were coming down every lap, but I went for it in the Porsche Curves and it caught me out. The hit felt bigger than it was, so I'm glad about that, but I feel terrible for everyone."

Olly and the whole Corvette Racing team will be back in Le Mans for Technical Scrutineering on Monday, 11th June in preparation for the race on 16/17th June.

That LMP driver was looking for a better front down-plane, Jan, teh gentleman that he is, loaned it to him until that stinkin' Lotus Evora knocked it off... :toetap

Teh much anticipated Le Mans GT preview...

Posted Image

While prototypes dominate this year’s entry, the 80th Le Mans 24 Hours still features a stellar field of GT machinery that will be vying for top class honors in both production-based categories.

The best of the American Le Mans Series meets the FIA World Endurance Championship for the second time after an enthralling battle seen at Sebring, while additional entries, in both the GTE-Pro and GTE-Am categories, should add some further excitement.

GTE-PRO (9 Entries)

After a packed 18-car entry in 2011, the top production-based category sees a mere nine cars for this year’s race. While its a noticeable drop, the main contenders (minus BMW, which has switched focus to its DTM program in Europe), have returned and have each upped their game.

Corvette vs. Ferrari vs. Aston Martin vs. Porsche... Each of the four manufacturers holds a legitimate shot at victory, which could make the fight for top honors in GTE-Pro the most interesting battle this year.

THE CONTENDERS:

Corvette Racing (Corvette C6.R): Returning as defending class winners, the Pratt & Miller squad ride plenty of momentum, having won the last two ALMS rounds with its wide-body Corvette C6.R. After nearly three years of hard work and persevering, it appears the factory squad is at the top of their game in the GT(2) category.

Posted Image

The bow-tie brigade features a freshened-up driver lineup this year, as 21-year-old Jordan Taylor makes his Le Mans debut in the No. 73 Corvette with Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia. The squad’s No. 74 car, though, will likely be the one to watch with Long Beach and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca winners Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner being joined by Richard Westbrook.

An heavily updated car that’s two inches wider and featuring new suspension and bodywork, Corvette is in prime position to take its unprecedented eighth class victory at La Sarthe and two in a row in the highly competitive GTE-Pro ranks. A test day accident for Le Mans rookie Taylor may have come as a slight setback but the team is certainly up for the task.

AF Corse (Ferrari F458 Italia): Corvette’s main competition will likely come from a pair of screaming Prancing Horses, which have been on form since the FIA WEC season-opener at Sebring. As one of the most accomplished GT teams in the world, AF Corse has achieved nearly every major victory and championship, except for Le Mans.

Given the strength of the Ferrari F458 Italia and the all-star driver lineup the Amato Ferrari-owned operation has assembled, 2012 could be AF Corse’s year to shine at La Sarthe. Both the No. 51 car of Gianmaria Bruni, Giancarlo Fisichella and Toni Vilander as well as the Andrea Bertolini, Olivier Beretta and Marco Cioci-driven No. 71 Ferrari will likely be knocking on the door for the victory, as long as reliability, a known fault for the 458 Italia in endurance races, remains strong.

Team Felbermayr-Proton (Porsche 911 GT3 RSR): Perhaps the strongest entry from the Porsche contingent, Team Felbermayr-Proton will be seeking its second class victory at Le Mans with the same lineup that took the German squad to the top step of the podium in 2010. The trio of Marc Lieb, Richard Lietz and Wolf Henzler could be tough to beat, although their wide-body Porsche may be lacking in aero balance.

The German manufacturer had been hoping to run a larger rear wing and splitter for this race, in the same configuration Porsche’s ALMS cars ran at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca under IMSA sanction. It could put the 911 GT3 RSRs at a slight disadvantage, although Lieb and Lietz are coming off class victory at Spa in the original configuration which they started the FIA WEC season with.

THE SPOILERS:

Aston Martin Racing (Aston Martin Vantage V8): Returning to the GT ranks for the first time since its GT1 class victory in 2008, Aston Martin Racing has plenty to prove as it aims to turn its V8-powered Vantage into a race winner. Already four races into its 2012 season, the Prodrive squad has shown impressive pace with its heavily revised beast that may be enough for a class win on Sunday.

Posted Image

The driver lineup of Darren Turner, Stefan Mucke and Adrian Fernandez has been strong in both FIA WEC and ALMS competition this year, with the only major concern coming from the reliability side. A loose wheel dashed hopes of a win at Sebring, while gearbox failure resulted in an early retirement at Spa. However, the car led both races, showing its outright speed. AMR heads into Le Mans with a revised cylinder block, hoping to put their bad luck behind them.

Flying Lizard Motorsports (Porsche 911 GT3 RSR): Always a front-runner in the ALMS, it seems like luck can never go their way at Le Mans. Can 2012 be the magic year for the Flying Lizards? With a proven lineup in Patrick Long, Joerg Bergmeister and Porsche’s latest factory driver, Marco Holzer, the No. 80 machine should be among the contenders for the class win. The question comes in whether the California-based team can finally seal the deal after seven previous attempts.

Luxury Racing (Ferrari F458 Italia): With arguably the quickest lineup in class, Luxury Racing may still have its work cut out for itself as the French squad chases top honors in its second Le Mans attempt. Former Ferrari factory driver Jaime Melo has proven his pace time and again, while French hot shoe Fred Makowiecki is considered one of the most under-rated drivers in the paddock. Dominik Farnbacher, who started the season in the team’s GTE-Am entry, completes the roster in the all-pro machine.

Don’t be surprised to see this car on pole. But will it last 24 hours, especially considering the aggressive pace the trio will likely put the Prancing Horse through? If engineer Mark Schomann can keep the drivers under control and on a steady, but fast, race pace, Luxury Racing could be a class winner.

OTHER NOTABLES:

JMW Motorsport (Ferrari F458 Italia): The odd team out in the highly competitive GTE-Pro ranks this year, JMW Motorsport will unlikely reach the podium, mainly due to British team’s Pro-Am driver lineup in the all-pro class.

Jonny Cocker and James Walker will keep the lone Dunlop-shod car in the category in with a fighting chance, but gentleman racer Roger Wills, the only FIA-rated Bronze driver in class, will unlikely be able to keep up with his co-drivers. Running with a 2011-spec car and with one gentlemen driver, this entry perhaps would have had a fighting chance for the win in GTE-Am, if the team had elected to go that route.

GTE-AM (13 Entries)

After a successful debut last year, the GTE-Am category has seen an influx of new arrivals, primarily teams which competed in GTE-Pro in 2011. While featuring the same base spec of machinery, all GTE-Am cars must be at least one year old and feature two FIA-rated Bronze or Silver drivers.

THE CONTENDERS:

Larbre Competition (Corvette C6.R): The Jack Leconte-led squad came out on top in dominant fashion in 2011 with an impressive 1-2 finish. This year, Larbre Competition has replaced its Porsche with a second Corvette C6.R with the focus of repeating fortunes at Le Mans and taking the FIA WEC title in GTE-Am.

Posted Image

Defending winners Julien Canal and Patrick Bornhauser are joined by ex-Peugeot pilot Pedro Lamy in the team’s No. 50 Corvette, while Frenchmen Jean-Philippe Belloc, Christophe Bourret and Pascal Gibon are tabbed for duty in the No. 70 entry. Despite facing increased competition, the Lamy-led No. 50 Corvette will likely be tough to beat.

IMSA Performance Matmut (Porsche 911 GT3 RSR): A dominant force in the ELMS, the Raymond Narac-owned squad switches its Le Mans efforts to GTE-Am for 2012. GT2 winners of this race in 2007, IMSA Performance Matmut will be expecting nothing less this year, especially on the heels of a runaway class win at Spa, competing as an invitational entry to the FIA WEC round.

Narac, Anthony Pons and hot shoe Nicolas Armindo, who has quickly proven to be one of the quickest Porsche drivers around, complete the lineup, the same trio that scored top honors in Belgium last month.

Flying Lizard Motorsports (Porsche 911 GT3 RSR): One of the favorites among the American contingent, Flying Lizard Motorsports doubles its chances of victory with its GTE-Am class entry for Patrick Pilet, Spencer Pumpelly and Seth Neiman. A front-runner last year until engine issues, the No. 79 Porsche should be in the hunt for the win again, notably with the late addition of the French Porsche factory driver.

Aston Martin Racing (Aston Martin Vantage V8): Running as a joint effort with Young Driver AMR, the pseudo-works Vantage could surprise in the hands of the all-Danish lineup of Allan Simonsen, Christoffer Nygaard and Kristian Poulsen. Quickest in the test day and an impressive fourth overall among the GTE-Pro contenders, AMR could be looking at a double victory if the stars align.

THE SPOILERS:

Team Felbermayr-Proton (Porsche 911 GT3 RSR): Class winners at Sebring, the second FIA WEC-nominated entry from the German stable is also expected to be a front-runner this weekend. Two-time and defending Porsche Cup winner Gianluca Roda is joined by countryman Paulo Ruberti and team principal Christian Ried. It’s a lineup that could fly under the radar and end up with a top result.

Krohn Racing (Ferrari F458 Italia): As one of only two American globe-trotting FIA WEC teams, Krohn Racing is another favorite for the podium and potential class victory. Upgrading to a new 2011-spec Ferrari F458 Italia for 2012, the Jeff Hazell-led group hasn’t yet achieved the level of success it enjoyed in ILMC competition last year. Will Le Mans be the turning point?

Tracy Krohn and Nic Jonsson are again joined by Michele Rugolo in what’s considered a solid lineup in the increasingly competitive field. Engine failure took the trio out of the race last year after an early lead, giving even more motivation for a trouble-free run this time around.

Luxury Racing (Ferrari F458 Italia): Joining endurance veteran Pierre Ehret in the French-run Ferrari is none other than ALMS stars Gunnar Jeannette and Frankie Montecalvo, making for a formidable trio that could surprise. While it will mark 21-year-old Montecalvo’s debut at La Sarthe, Jeannette embarks on his ninth Le Mans and first since 2008. Don’t count these guys out of a podium.

OTHER NOTABLES:

AF Waltrip (Ferrari F458 Italia): Another high-profile entry with American interest, the AF Corse-run program returns to Le Mans after a bittersweet debut for MWR co-owners Michael Waltrip and Rob Kauffman, which saw Kauffman tangle with the Audi of Mike Rockenfeller that triggered the race’s second major accident last year.

Posted Image

This time around, Kauffman and Portuguese ace Rui Aguas are joined by NASCAR star Brian Vickers, who fills in for the two-time Daytona 500 champion. Vickers, too, has had a baptism by fire, having crashed the team’s Ferrari F458 Italia in warmup at Spa in his sports car racing debut. A finish at Le Mans would likely be a victory in itself for this effort.

Prospeed Competition (Porsche 911 GT3 RSR): Stepping down to GTE-Am for 2012, the Belgian squad sees an international lineup of Porsche Supercup ace Sean Edwards, American Bret Curtis and Abdulaziz Al Faisal, the second Saudi Arabian driver to race at Le Mans. While Edwards will undoubtedly be quick, it’s unclear if the team can contend for a podium position given the increased competition in class this year.

AF Corse (Ferrari F458 Italia): The fourth AF Corse-run Ferrari in the GTE field is unlikely to make a dent on the competition, although Le Mans debutant Matt Griffin could impress. The Irishman is joined by Italians Nicola Cadei and Pierguiseppe Perazzini, the latter who shared victory in the Gulf 12 Hours with Griffin earlier this year.

JWA-Avila (Porsche 911 GT3 RSR): Regulars in the FIA WEC, ex-open wheel ace Joel Camathias joins Finn Markus Palttala and car owner Paul Daniels behind the wheel of their ex-Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche. A steady run for the trio could be rewarded with a top-five result.

JMB Racing (Ferrari F458 Italia): Le Mans stalwarts JMB Racing complete the 56-car Le Mans field this year with Frenchmen Manuel Rodrigues, Philippe Illiano and Alain Ferte, a lineup that’s unlikely to impress or make any dent in competition.

Another two class wins for teh Corvettes this year? I don't see why not! :edward:

I still wish there was footage of Test Day like teh days of GT1, after all, there was a GoPro on teh front of teh cars... :huh

Nice stuff...still can't get used to that funky Nissan!

:agree ...and I thought teh Panoz looked odd! :lol

Hey, did anyone else scroll thru teh photos and see that a freaking Ferrari stole our colors?!?! :willy:bs A yeller and black prancing pony! :crazy:hunter

Hey Shiftah, there is some youboobage up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TKTpSFk7zo