• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MOTV8

• Shifty

• Desertdawg

• Two Fangs

Top Posters In This Topic

After he dusts teh bimmer it seems like an odd video cuz he's just dicing with P2's! :edward: Hey, since teh Porsche guys are obviously enjoying the extra aero-normous wing they got, when are they gonna give teh Lotus some GT1 aero bits??? I say drop a freakin F16-size wing on that mofo!

Ya, teh Perches are definitely back in it. Didn't they increase teh restrictors on teh Evora? And it still is teh suck... :facepalm:

Corvette Racing Mosport American Le Mans series preview

By any other name, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park – the track formerly known as Mosport, eh – would still be as fast. With its roots firmly anchored in the '60s and its character unchanged for more than 50 years, the 2.5-mile circuit in the Canadian countryside near Toronto is decidedly Old School. With daunting high-speed corners and soaring straights, it is not a track for the timid. The weekend of July 23rd Corvette Racing's drivers will return to the historic and quick 10-turn circuit for Sunday's Mobil 1 presents the Grand Prix of Mosport.

Posted Image

If a track can suit a race car, then Mosport was custom tailored for the Compuware Corvettes. The Chevy team has scored nine victories there since 2001, including its maiden win in the GT category in 2009 and a breakout victory last season that propelled Oliver Gavin and Jan Magnussen to a runner-up finish in the GT championship.

Along with its new name, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park will see a pair of new wide-body Corvette C6.Rs and a revised Corvette Racing driver lineup for this year's Grand Prix. Magnussen has returned to the No. 3 Compuware Corvette that carried him to victory at Mosport with Johnny O'Connell in 2007, 2008, and 2009. He's now teamed with Antonio Garcia, a pairing that finished second in the preceding round at Lime Rock Park and currently stands second in the GT drivers championship.

They'll face stiff intramural competition from teammates Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R. Gavin and Milner are atop the driver standings on the strength of two wins and four straight podium finishes in the four rounds of the American Le Mans Series contested this season.

"For sheer speed, Mosport is one of my favorite tracks," Magnussen declared. "It's such a fantastic feeling when you do a fast lap, because you know there is a big, big penalty for making a mistake."

Garcia will make his Mosport debut alongside his experienced teammate in his first year as a full-season driver with Corvette Racing. What advice does the Dane have for his Spanish co-pilot? "Just remember it's not your car, so give it all you've got!" Magnussen quipped.

Posted Image

Garcia is taking a measured approach to Mosport. "I've been watching videos and in-car cameras, and leading up to the race I will talk more precisely with Jan to learn what to do – and especially what not to do!" he said. "They tell me that it is a fast and somewhat dangerous race track. I'm used to those kinds of circuits, so I'm looking forward to it."

With three career wins at the Canadian course, Gavin knows Mosport's nuances. "Every driver looks forward to going there," said the Englishman. "The characteristics of the Corvette C6.R car seem to suit that layout, and I'm anxious to see how much of a step forward we've made from last year. I've had some great races there, including a fantastic win with Jan last year. Mosport always seems to bring out the best in Corvette Racing."

The two-hour, 45-minute Mobil 1 presents the Grand Prix of Mosport will start at 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, July 22, and will be broadcast same day on ESPN2 at 1 p.m. ET. Live coverage is available starting at 11:45 a.m. ET on ESPN3.

:Jake: Take off, you Gila Bend hosers, your coverage is an hour behind!

I'll just make sure to ignore you and teh Shifter during the race so you don't spoil it for me....

Should be a tasty race...lotsa speed, very few 'roomy' run-off's before you become a tree-hugger.... :edward:

Huh? Did someone say something??? hey this ignore thing is fun! .

ALMS: Muscle Milk Paces Practice 1 At Mosport

Klaus Graf tops time charts in first official practice at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park...

Turning its first laps of the weekend, Muscle Milk Pickett Racing's HPD ARX-03a ended up quickest in Saturday morning's practice for the Grand Prix of Mosport.

Klaus Graf nailed down a best time of 1:07.404, outpacing the the P2 class-leading No. 055 Level 5 Motorsports of Christophe Bouchut by a considerable 3.56 seconds.

Friday's overall pacesetter, the No. 37 Conquest Endurance Morgan-Nissan of Martin Plowman was third quickest overall and second in P2 with a 1:11.014, while the No. 9 RSR Racing Oreca FLM09 of Bruno Junqueira made it three different categories in the top-four overall.

Dyson Racing's pair of Lola-Mazdas continued to struggle, with the No. 16 Lola B12/60 Mazda of Guy Smith only able to muster the fifth quickest time overall, and more than four seconds slower than Graf's pace-setting lap.

In GT, the No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 RSR of Joerg Bergmeister led the way from both Corvette Racing C6.R's, while Damien Faulkner topped the time charts in GTC.

No major incidents were reported during the 60-minute session.

Practice 2 is on tap for 2:10 p.m., followed by qualifying one hour later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check teh wing!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, so nice.....now if only everyone behaves... :lol:Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake: :Jake:

:smilelol Exactly! Teh Mags 1st, teh Olly 2nd, teh Bimmer 3rd for all you non-streamers not on ignore. :Jake:

Corvette Racing Qualifies One-Two for ALMS Grand Prix of Mosport Magnussen Wins Pole with Record-Shattering Run, Gavin Second with Sub-Record Time BOWMANVILLE, Ontario, Canada, July 21, 2012 – Corvette Racing blew away the GT track records at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park today en route to qualifying first and second for Sunday's Mobil 1 presents the Grand Prix of Mosport. Jan Magnussen qualified the No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R on the GT pole with a time of 1:15.478 (117.285 mph), eclipsing the record set in 2008 by 1.385 seconds. Oliver Gavin also obliterated the previous mark, taking the second spot in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R with a blistering 1:15.782 lap (116.814 mph). Magnussen's pole was his first in ALMS competition since October 2009, and the first for Corvette Racing since August 2010. The Dane was understandably elated after his record-setting run on the fast 2.5-mile Canadian circuit. "I didn't think a GT car could go that quickly here!" he exclaimed. "It was a fantastic lap, and a great job by the team to give me this car to qualify. There is so much time to be gained when you get into the flow of this track. I actually surprised myself – on one of my laps, I didn't look at the time and went four tenths faster! "We've been working around the race setup all this time – this really is our race setup with less fuel," Magnussen explained. "The car was so smooth and easy to drive. It felt like my mid-corner speed was up everywhere and I hit every mark. It felt super strong in Turn 5 where the car goes light over a crest. I nailed it just right by landing in the right position to get a good exit out of 5. I am so proud of Corvette Racing today!" Gavin enjoyed a .229-second advantage over the third qualifier, the No. 55 BMW. "It was a great qualifying session for Corvette Racing and a fantastic lap by Jan – he absolutely nailed it," Gavin said. "The entire team has been working very hard, and it's great that we got a one-two in qualifying. "I think a call I made with the setup toward the end of practice bit me in qualifying," he revealed. "I'm a little disappointed in myself for making that call. The Corvette C6.R really is spectacular here; the way it drives and feels, it's a joy to drive. The team has done an excellent job over the last few races, and I hope it continues tomorrow." After three runner-up finishes in the last four ALMS races, Magnussen and co-driver Antonio Garcia are gunning for their first victory in Sunday's two-hour, 45-minute race. "Starting on pole is the best you can wish for going into the race," Magnussen said. "Hopefully Antonio can go out there and control the pace. He picked up this track very quickly and is right on the pace. The competition is so fierce there is no room for mistakes." "This is our first pole of the season, and I think it's appropriate that it came at Mosport," noted Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "Mosport has been very good to Corvette Racing in the past, and this track always seems to come through for Corvette. The other element today is a great tire developed by Michelin. Combine that with the work of this crew and the skill of our drivers, and this is the result – a definitive one-two for Corvette." Beauty, eh? :shifter:

Mosport....PWNED :Jake::Jake:

Teh visual stimuli...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

"DAMN, THAT was FAST!"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did ya read where Bimmer is snivelling about having to run through a smaller restrictor? Gee, how's it feel to run with everyone else biotches? :bang

Corvette Racing Second in ALMS Grand Prix of Mosport

Magnussen and Garcia Take GT Championship Lead with Runner-up Finish

BOWMANVILLE, Ontario, Canada, July 22, 2012 - Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen scored their fourth podium finish in five American Le Mans Series races in today's Mobil 1 presents the Grand Prix of Mosport. Their No. 3 Compuware Corvette C6.R started on the GT pole after setting a qualifying record Saturday at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. Garcia led the opening 47 minutes in his first race at Mosport, and Magnussen was in contention for the victory on the final lap.

The No. 45 Porsche of Joerg Bergmeister and Patrick Long finished first on the track, but was subsequently excluded from the results for a technical infraction following a post-race inspection. The No. 01 Ferrari of Scott Sharp and Johannes van Overbeek was declared the winner, and the No. 3 Corvette, third across the stripe, was promoted to second. Garcia and Magnussen's runner-up finish vaulted them into the lead in the GT driver standings ahead of teammates Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner, who finished 10th after the Corvette crew changed a malfunctioning transmission in the No. 4 Compuware Corvette C6.R.

The closing laps of the two-hour, 45-minute race featured a Porsche-Corvette-Ferrari freight train as the three cars raced nose-to-tail. Magnussen kept the pressure on the class-leading Porsche for nearly an hour. Van Overbeek joined the fray as the frontrunners encountered traffic, and pulled off a pass on Magnussen coming out of Moss Corner on the last lap.

"I'm sure we had a better car than Joerg, but he was fast in some crucial places that made it impossible to pass," Magnussen said. "I knew I was risking my position, but I had to have a go at Joerg. We got together a little, I lost momentum, and Van Overbeek just went up the inside - it was a fair pass, he saw a gap and went for it."

Garcia drove a strong opening stint in his debut at the fast Canadian circuit. He started from the GT pole, and led the first 30 laps. After pitting under the second of three full-course cautions, the Spaniard emerged ninth in the GT category. He methodically drove back through the field to P2 before handing off to Magnussen at 1:44 into the race.

"My first race at Mosport had a bit of everything," Garcia said. "At the start of the race, Tommy and I had a really clear run, and we could make a safe gap to the BMW and Porsche. When the yellow flags came, things started to turn for us, with the No. 4 Corvette having a problem and then the restarts. I was held up behind a prototype coming into the pits, and the run into our pit box was partially blocked so we lost some spots. I was behind cars that hadn't pitted so traffic was difficult, but step-by-step I was able to gain positions. I think our tires were better, and I could pass cars and close the gap to the Porsche."

The race's first full-course caution came 15 minutes after the start when the No. 4 Corvette stopped on the back straight with no drive to the rear wheels. The car was towed to the paddock, where the team performed a 20-minute gearbox change. Milner returned to the race 20 laps down to the leaders.

"I was coming out of Turn 5, putting the power down and suddenly lost drive going from second to third gear," Milner reported.

Oliver Gavin took over the No. 4 Corvette at the 1:47 mark and drove to the finish. "It's never nice to have days like this, but you know that at some point in the season you're going to have a bad weekend - and I hope this was it," Gavin said. "We're still not sure what happened with the transmission, but the guys did a fantastic job of replacing it and getting us back in the race. This race had so much promise after qualifying; now we've just got to pick ourselves up, move on, and get ready for Mid-Ohio."

For the third race in a row, the No. 3 Corvette C6.R won the Michelin Green X Challenge in the GT class with the best score for clean, fast, and efficient performance. "Our third straight Michelin Green X Challenge win is a testament to the hard work that GM Powertrain has done with the calibrations for cellulosic E85 ethanol," said Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan. "It's very important for Corvette, Chevrolet, and General Motors to represent the fact that have the environment in mind even when we are racing. This win again demonstrates the dedication of GM and its engineers."

Garcia and Magnussen unofficially lead the GT driver championship at the midpoint of the season with 80 points, seven points ahead of Gavin and Milner (73) and BMW drivers Hand and Mueller (73). Chevrolet is atop the GT manufacturer standings with 94 points over BMW (81), Ferrari (75), and Porsche (69).

Posted Image

Sadly, had Jan not tried teh low-percentage 'all or nothing' pass, CR would have got a P1 instead... :facepalm:

VenomOnWheels

A sweet, opportunistic move Van Overbeek put on Mags during that last lap. Cast iron balls I suspect.

A sweet, opportunistic move Van Overbeek put on Mags during that last lap. Cast iron balls I suspect.

While there is no doubt Johanes was driving well, I doubt he'd have had that opportunity had Mags not tried that 'hail-mary' desperation pass...

VenomOnWheels

While there is no doubt Johanes was driving well, I doubt he'd have had that opportunity had Mags not tried that 'hail-mary' desperation pass...

You're right. I've watched the replay over and over and while I understand that Ian was hoping to cut under, I don't know why he set-up so wide into the corner with VO right on his bumper. That's a big window he opened.

Pause the video below at 12:40 and advance it frame by frame to 12:50. VO dove in so late and carrying so much speed that he was trail braking all the way to the apex. Rear end may have broken loose if he didn't have the Vette to rub against through the turn.