NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

E85: The Mystery, The Magic, The Fuel

Two Fangs

Nic and I have talked, I would not have minded finding him first since it would have saved me money going right on the dyno but alas I was told he was no longer at AZDyno Chip and went another route.

I would love his input as I work to increase gas mileage, transition from Tuner Studio to HP Tuners and figure out some of these cold issues, idle issues and my thoughts on leaning it out further.

However he is a busy guy so I am not sure how he feels about that, however I have a Dyno Plot, log files, and everything else already uploaded and ready to rock.

He's a good guy, as is Mike (Parker, or screen name Two Snails). While I don't expect either one to teach any of us the art of tuning, I'm sure they can clarify some confusing aspects, terms, or theory, behind the "black art" as we all attempt to get our heads around some of the concepts. Just be careful in making rather large or radical adjustments in your tuning without a complete understanding of what it is you're trying to accomplish...it could be very costly. They'll help us when they can, and that's where this section comes into play :thumbs

Keep banging away at it...it's the only way to learn. :thumbs

Nic....can you successfully tune a car without placing the correct stoich value in the PCM ?

If I remember correctly, you then convert your stoich value to Lambda and then add or subtract from Lambda to reach your target AFR.... I hope I understood that correctly ?

By the way, give me the freebies Barkin' BubbleBee was asking for on his GTO :thumbs

Bummer that turned ugly.

Absolutely, as long as you have a good reason to get around something and not just doing it to alter fueling since load should be taken into account in most circumstances. Think of the stoich AFR table as a global fuel multiplier, most importantly one that does not skew load tables. Am I assuming you want to go about it that way on E85 so you don't have to write custom pids for your scanner so the AFR readings still make sense on a gas scale that everybody uses?

That's OK, I don't really wanted to be associated with that guy's half assed setup and I should have realized a month ago that he was just fishing for information and had no intention of paying me to tune his car since he is all buddy buddy with Rhett.

Nic and I have talked, I would not have minded finding him first since it would have saved me money going right on the dyno but alas I was told he was no longer at AZDyno Chip and went another route.

I would love his input as I work to increase gas mileage, transition from Tuner Studio to HP Tuners and figure out some of these cold issues, idle issues and my thoughts on leaning it out further.

However he is a busy guy so I am not sure how he feels about that, however I have a Dyno Plot, log files, and everything else already uploaded and ready to rock.

I would still like to know who told you that I don't do work with those guys as that's just an outright lie. I help out a few shops including ADC because they are my friends and I have known them for quite some time.

I have helped as much as I can through email back in September and offered to tune it for you but I don't do remote tuning nor do I teach people how to tune. In your post on LS1tech back in September when you posted the log I posted the following, "Well after looking at the log I see a few things. Burst knock active when it shouldn't be, decel fueling richness due to injectors not being setup correctly, WOT airmass way off for a stock Z06, and extremely rich tip in part throttle conditions. This all can account for a mileage drop but how much I really can't say."

I would still recommend ditching those injectors as there is not a single shred of actual information available for those things and generating an offset table would take a lot of work and time that could be easily alleviated by getting the right type of injector. Getting the Ford 42lb injectors or the Siemens deka 60s would be your best bet.

Nic....can you successfully tune a car without placing the correct stoich value in the PCM ?

If I remember correctly, you then convert your stoich value to Lambda and then add or subtract from Lambda to reach your target AFR.... I hope I understood that correctly ?

By the way, give me the freebies Barkin' BubbleBee was asking for on his GTO :thumbs

Bummer that turned ugly.

Absolutely, as long as you have a good reason to get around something and not just doing it to alter fueling since load should be taken into account in most circumstances. Think of the stoich AFR table as a global fuel multiplier, most importantly one that does not skew load tables. Am I assuming you want to go about it that way on E85 so you don't have to write custom pids for your scanner so the AFR readings still make sense on a gas scale that everybody uses?

That's OK, I don't really wanted to be associated with that guy's half assed setup and I should have realized a month ago that he was just fishing for information and had no intention of paying me to tune his car since he is all buddy buddy with Rhett.

No....I'm all about using the proper stoich value and going from there, no good reason to re-invent the wheel for me. :) It's confusing enough when you're trying to get your head around just understanding basic concepts, theory, and terminology, without throwing in customization into the mix :facepalm:

Yeah, the recent activity over there has gotten a bit ugly at times.

But, if you're doing charity work, I'm first in line !!!! :smilelol:bolt:

I know and I want to come to you Nic but since I started with Mike it would be throwing away money and we all hate to do that esp. in my current situation. I hope to be able to come see you sometime in the next few months and have you go through it I will work towards the 42lb Ford Injectors. But I really just want to find out some information on my recent questions I have on the HP Tuners site and LS1tech as well as the Corvette forums. I am really pushing myself to get used to HP Tuners even with how different it is compared to Tuner Studio.... I just can't find what I am used to yet with fuel maps, ve tables etc its all different so far and I am not sure yet. Either way I will keep hoping for help until I can afford to have you take a real look.

• 2 months later...

With the official government 45 cent/gallon subsidy expiring at the beginning of the year, has anyone seen what the current pump price per gallon of E85 is in the city ?

Last week it was 3.10 at Western States petroleum. One good thing about the subsidy ending, letting t expire kills the crazy import taxes on ethanol. Hopefully this opens the Brazilian ethanol market where we can get the good stuff made from sugar cane. And, they have a tremendous supply.

Last week it was 3.10 at Western States petroleum.

One good thing about the subsidy ending, letting t expire kills the crazy import taxes on ethanol. Hopefully this opens the Brazilian ethanol market where we can get the good stuff made from sugar cane. And, they have a tremendous supply.

Yeah, I read that the tariff amounted to 54 cents/gallon. With the EPA still mandating E10, I wonder how quickly the import ethanol will begin to flow and what impact on pricing it will have on E85 at the pump :popcorn:

• 3 months later...
FNBADAZ06

So in a nut shell,,,,,, This E-85 can be used in the Vette,, Right ?????

With supporting hardware and tune, yes....E85 can be used in a Vette.

Two Fangs

Nic can tune it. You will need bigger injectors, possibly a pump and fuel lines.