Z going under the knife

Loud Pedal

I don't think that a stock C5 drive train would handle what you've got in the LS7...since it's not stock. :lol

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loud Pedal

• Drewstein

• HOXXOH

• Bigfoot

Guest LOUDMIKE

I don't think that a stock C5 drive train would handle what you've got in the LS7...since it's not stock. :lol

There are plenty of stock C5 drivetrains out there with over 500 to the tire. Will it handle it on a continuous basis on the drag strip. Probably not. The stock C6 usually doesnt. But for everyday cruising and an occasional romp you bet. Just all depends on driving habits and how the car has been maintained.

If I could do it right now for my C5, ..I'd do an RPM tranny, differential (4.10's just because), axles, mini-tubs for them bigger stickies already mentioned, twin disc clutch, brake upgrade, coil-over conversion *with* the 427 ..then ProCharge it. But .. that's just me. Oh wait-a-minute! That *is* my punch list! Gonna take a few years, but it is in progress :) -Frank (altho I am really drawn to the Rat 427 .. and not just for the bore x stroke -very evil grin- )

• 2 weeks later...

I too wonder what an LS7 in a C6 would be like.

I have that and it's like a waste of money.

Better motors with just as many or more cubes are available for less money.

I too wonder what an LS7 in a C6 would be like.

I have that and it's like a waste of money.

Better motors with just as many or more cubes are available for less money.

Christopher Martin (theSubfloor on CF) has one too. 9.95 1/4 mi. NA. I think he's into it for less than the price of your turbos. He does his own labor, so that makes the overall cost less.

when is it suppose to be done?

As always, waiting on vendors. No heads... Goal is to finish and fully tune by the Prescott show.

Christopher Martin (theSubfloor on CF) has one too. 9.95 1/4 mi. NA. I think he's into it for less than the price of your turbos. He does his own labor, so that makes the overall cost less.

Sorry but a LS7 is more than the price of my turbos.

I can get a 427 from several good shops including Katech, ERL & Livernois for less than you can get a new LS7 for. Used is hard to compare, but it's still possible to get a used motor which makes more power than a LS7.

The aftermarket will trump factory motors every day and time. Hell, a H/C LS3 will beat one to death. No reason to get the LS7 unless you want to be able to tell everyone it's a LS7 so you feel cool.

I have an LS7, and motor cost alone there's better deals out there. Doing your own work has nothing to do with parts cost.

No reason to get the LS7 unless you want to be able to tell everyone it's a LS7 so you feel cool. I have an LS7...

:funnypost:

Can't wait to see the Viper, Mike!

As always, waiting on vendors.

That is the story of my life right now. :banghead

Here's wishing you continued success on the build! :thumbs

:funnypost:

Can't wait to see the Viper, Mike!

I though you might like that.

I bet your 454 LSX is cheaper than a LS7. I can get a 427 LSX for around $5k.

Personally I wouldn't run an iron block on a street car. But the LSX from Livernois ran 180mph in the 1/4 so that's a good reason to have one.

Aye Drew .. when I have the funds I will search for the best bang for the buck .. I know there are some killer combo's out there that work out to the 427 displacement I am lookin for. Not stuck on an LS-7 ..but if there is a deal to be had when I can do the deed .. (evil grin) ..now .. I useda tell people my Duster had 340 cubes (was a 440) .. and my Road Runner had 383 cubes (was a 426 wedge) ..so the '427' number is minimum .. Katech has a very nice '500' case that would be fun to play with ..among others. I just need at least 427 ..so I can stick those very cool emblems on from the late '60's Vettes. -Frank

Aye Drew .. when I have the funds I will search for the best bang for the buck

.. I know there are some killer combo's out there that work out to the 427 displacement I am lookin for.

Not stuck on an LS-7 ..but if there is a deal to be had when I can do the deed ..

(evil grin)

..now .. I useda tell people my Duster had 340 cubes (was a 440) .. and my Road Runner had 383 cubes (was a 426 wedge)

..so the '427' number is minimum .. Katech has a very nice '500' case that would be fun to play with ..among others.

I just need at least 427 ..so I can stick those very cool emblems on from the late '60's Vettes.

-Frank

I completely agree. Paying for a name isn't my deal.

Katech has some good options of course. Ask the guys at LPM, we threw everything but the kitchen sink at mine and it took it like a champ.

Aye Drew .. when I have the funds I will search for the best bang for the buck

.. I know there are some killer combo's out there that work out to the 427 displacement I am lookin for.

Not stuck on an LS-7 ..but if there is a deal to be had when I can do the deed ..

(evil grin)

..now .. I useda tell people my Duster had 340 cubes (was a 440) .. and my Road Runner had 383 cubes (was a 426 wedge)

..so the '427' number is minimum .. Katech has a very nice '500' case that would be fun to play with ..among others.

I just need at least 427 ..so I can stick those very cool emblems on from the late '60's Vettes.

-Frank

I completely agree. Paying for a name isn't my deal.

Katech has some good options of course. Ask the guys at LPM, we threw everything but the kitchen sink at mine and it took it like a champ.

Holy Crap! You don't have the kitchen sink mod yet?

Dave the Viper is there! Screw LS7 bitches i got a V-10!lol!!!! :banannarainbow::partydance:

Game on, garter snake !!!! :lol

This will be fun :partydance:

Holy Crap! You don't have the kitchen sink mod yet?

I sold the C5 before Mike could add that to the car. Posted Image

Sorry but a LS7 is more than the price of my turbos.

I can get a 427 from several good shops including Katech, ERL & Livernois for less than you can get a new LS7 for. Used is hard to compare, but it's still possible to get a used motor which makes more power than a LS7.

The aftermarket will trump factory motors every day and time. Hell, a H/C LS3 will beat one to death. No reason to get the LS7 unless you want to be able to tell everyone it's a LS7 so you feel cool.

I have an LS7, and motor cost alone there's better deals out there. Doing your own work has nothing to do with parts cost.

:agreeIf you are going to buy a new LS7 outright from GM, but I only said "I think he's into it for less than the price of your turbos."

IIRC, he bought a used LS7 for around $6K and sold his LS2 for $4K. After doing his own labor, he only had a $2K out of pocket expenditure. Sounds like a cheap way to an extra 105 HP. He later added a cam and ran 9.95.

Mike G. and I spent less than $4K to run 10's and Victor is real close with an almost bone-stock LS7. Steve (Uvetta) spent somewhere around $12-14K on an aftermarket H/C LS3 427 and has a PB of about 11.20. So maybe money is not always the answer.

I'm sorry that you're not happy with your deal. You spent a lot of time and money to get a lot of paper HP so you feel good.

How about getting a timeslip to go along with the dyno chart this Saturday at Speedworld. If I read Victor's post (copied from Speedworld's webpage) correctly, they're allowing almost anything to run. It might make you feel better about the expense.

I agree you can get more bang for the buck with a motor besides the LS7. I'm definately adding a good chunk of weight to the front of the car. I may have to put a bumpin' system in the back just to even even out the distribution. :lol I'm thinking the LS7 might find its way into the 68 Camaro. :rockon2:

I'm thinking the LS7 might find its way into the 68 Camaro. :rockon2:

Yep sir! Sounds rightfully evil to me. :thumbs:edward:

:agreeIf you are going to buy a new LS7 outright from GM, but I only said "I think he's into it for less than the price of your turbos."

IIRC, he bought a used LS7 for around $6K and sold his LS2 for $4K. After doing his own labor, he only had a $2K out of pocket expenditure. Sounds like a cheap way to an extra 105 HP. He later added a cam and ran 9.95.

Mike G. and I spent less than $4K to run 10's and Victor is real close with an almost bone-stock LS7. Steve (Uvetta) spent somewhere around $12-14K on an aftermarket H/C LS3 427 and has a PB of about 11.20. So maybe money is not always the answer.

I'm sorry that you're not happy with your deal. You spent a lot of time and money to get a lot of paper HP so you feel good.

How about getting a timeslip to go along with the dyno chart this Saturday at Speedworld. If I read Victor's post (copied from Speedworld's webpage) correctly, they're allowing almost anything to run. It might make you feel better about the expense.

I don't think you're reading my post correctly nor do you understand my thoughts on 1/4 times.

I'm advocating spending as little as possible for the same or more power without paying for the LS7 name.

If my car were together I would love to attend the Speedworld event. The passenger turbo let go for some oiling issue (we suspect) which is one of the reasons the turbos are being upgraded. When the snail failed it sent some metal through the motor (found on the drain plug) so it's at ERL being torn down and rebuilt to ensure no serious damage was done. The motor is fine other than some bad rings and a spot on a piston where there was a valve collision. The valve currently in the head is fine so it had to happen prior to my ownership and I was not told about it.

If quick 1/4 mile times are your thing then good for you. I don't have to go to the track to validate my expenditure. One tip of the throttle does that, and when I leave liter bikes in my wake it's even more satisfying. We're different people who like different applications of power. I didn't see your vette at the drag event I attended in Wilcox. Arm drop racing with no limit and no timing. I was there.

I can post video after video of me racing in "Mexico" that back up my dyno graphs. That's my playground.

I'm always looking out for other forum members and trying to remind them exactly what you said, it's not the dollar spent. Make that dollar go far.

Guest AZviperMike

The best part of all of these builds is we each have our own ideas and thoughts on what is best. Some like the Ls7 and others maybe an Ls2 or Ls3. Look at NicD's car i believe he is running an LS2 in the Camaro, or look at what my LS6 did it ran the same numbers as a LS7. 1/4 mile racing is fun and it shows really who the real drivers are but you could take the best 1/4 mile guy against some of the best street racers in Arizona and put them head to head in their respective elements and get results that favor each driver based on their element. Tom's 10 second C6 is unbelievable it daily drives and run's 10's. I would have to bet Tom would destroy Drew's car in a heads up 1/4 mile because of its build and Tom's driving. Now Drew's car if it ever returns to AZ will probably crush most everyone in a 100 plus mph run!