NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Should I or.. Shouldn't I?

Phoenix FRC

Should I use the black out over the center brake light?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Phoenix FRC

I installed the blackouts over the:

-tails

- the backup lights

- and found myself asking this question... Should I do the center brake light too?

I took a few pice for show & tell.

It was tricky to not get the flash to show the tails, but with some effort I was able to eliminate most of the reflection.

I also have some of the blackouts for the front turn signals :thumbs

With center brake light covered.

With out center brake light covered.

Trying to show you what it looks like

A better pic of the blackouts at night of course.

I say cover it! :yesnod

Just to spark discussion here, are you the least bit concerned about liability if you get rearended? I've been rearended twice on the 51 and I'd be afraid the person would claim they didn't see my brake lights. When I had my black 5.0 Mustang I covered my headlights but not the rearend. I figured I was at fault if I hit someone or something else but on the rear they could blame you. Just playing devils advocate! I love the look! :thumbs

I say cover it! :yesnod

Just to spark discussion here, are you the least bit concerned about liability if you get rearended? I've been rearended twice on the 51 and I'd be afraid the person would claim they didn't see my brake lights. When I had my black 5.0 Mustang I covered my headlights but not the rearend. I figured I was at fault if I hit someone or something else but on the rear they could blame you. Just playing devils advocate! I love the look! :thumbs

you of all people should know that failiure to maintain control of you vehicle and rearending someone regardless if you saw their brake lights or not will still never be the fault of the person getting rearended!

i have never seen the person that got rearended get a ticket - it's always the person that did the rear end-ing!

so on that note i agree with everyone else - cover it it to make it match - on a side note, i wouldn't have blacked them out to begin with - but that's just me!

Phoenix FRC

That's why I was asking.

I covered it.

I have to do some removal of the turnsignals to install the blackouts for them, I might get it done tonight thou-

That plastic isnt all that dark, it just makes the tails look black. Maybe because the red is also a dark color.

Thanks for the Vote, I installed it whenn it was 5 to 0. :cool

I say cover it!  :yesnod

Just to spark discussion here, are you the least bit concerned about liability if you get rearended?  I've been rearended twice on the 51 and I'd be afraid the person would claim they didn't see my brake lights.  When I had my black 5.0 Mustang I covered my headlights but not the rearend.  I figured I was at fault if I hit someone or something else but on the rear they could blame you.  Just playing devils advocate!  I love the look!  :thumbs

you of all people should know that failiure to maintain control of you vehicle and rearending someone regardless if you saw their brake lights or not will still never be the fault of the person getting rearended!

i have never seen the person that got rearended get a ticket - it's always the person that did the rear end-ing!

so on that note i agree with everyone else - cover it it to make it match - on a side note, i wouldn't have blacked them out to begin with - but that's just me!

Not concerned with ticket, I'm talking civil liability and trust me juries can do some stupid things. I'm not sure but I think the NHTSA has minimum standards for automobile lighting. If you purposely deminish that I think a jury could find you liable, if not totally at least partially. Also would your insurance company honor your coverage if you alter the visability? Just questions I have to ask.

I say cover it!  :yesnod

Just to spark discussion here, are you the least bit concerned about liability if you get rearended?  I've been rearended twice on the 51 and I'd be afraid the person would claim they didn't see my brake lights.  When I had my black 5.0 Mustang I covered my headlights but not the rearend.  I figured I was at fault if I hit someone or something else but on the rear they could blame you.  Just playing devils advocate!  I love the look!  :thumbs

Nope, not always the "rear ender's" fault. I had some angry bastard with MASSIVE road rage brake check on me while I was changing into a different lane and I spun him out into a light pole. He claimed a dog ran out in front of him. The cop didn't believe his story and gave the guy multipel tickets (exhibition, obstructing the flow of traffic, etc). The officer told me that he hears that story quite a bit, but there is never a dead or injured animal on the scene.

I got the satisfaction of honking and waving good bye to the jerk while I was driving by him and his "Crustang" being loaded onto a flat bed. :howdy

I expected a lawsuit, or at the least a call from his insurance company, but nothing ever happened.

(Side note: I was driving an old beater truck with a heavy duty grill guard. After washing the Ford stink off of it, there wasn't a scratch to be seen on my pickup.)

That's why I was asking.

I covered it.

I have to do some removal of the turnsignals to install the blackouts for them, I might get it done tonight thou-

That plastic isnt all that dark, it just makes the tails look black. Maybe because the red is also a dark color.

Thanks for the Vote, I installed it whenn it was 5 to 0.  :cool

Hey, I never got to vote. :toetap It says I already voted in this pole.

Because of that, and for the record, I say no. (that's the rebel hermit in me talking)

Phoenix FRC
That's why I was asking.

I covered it.

Because of that, and for the record, I say no. (that's the rebel hermit in me talking)

Well Mr, I didn't see this until I was 100% complete with the install.

i think your out numbered but still the two of you, Eddie & Kipp have me asking this question again.

I'm going to see how well its stuck on there. it is just a sticky tape and its clear tape too.

I think what I want to do is do a brake check, the brake lights really jump out thru the tint on those covers.

I'll get some help by having someone push on the brake and I'll take a pic of the brake lights.

Maybe I should put a set of those LED tails beind the black-outs. ;)

I took pictures this morning, I'll post them tonight when I get home.. I don't have FTP software at work..

Thanks & Later!

That's why I was asking.

I covered it.

i think your out numbered but still the two of you, Eddie & Kipp have me asking this question again.

I'm going to see how well its stuck on there. it is just a sticky tape and its clear tape too.

I think what I want to do is do a brake check, the brake lights really jump out thru the tint on those covers.

I'll get some help by having someone push on the brake and I'll take a pic of the brake lights.

I took pictures this morning, I'll post them tonight when I get home.. I don't have FTP software at work..

Thanks & Later!

i bought a set of LED tails for my truck, and let me tell you - they suck (or at least the ones i bought at auto zone sucked)

the problem was this - when the tail lights were on, they were super bright, when i would step on the brake pedal, it looked the same, just more LEDs lit up - so unless you can take them back, or return them to the "sender" if you don't like them, i would steer clear

Phoenix FRC
That's why I was asking.

I covered it.

Thanks & Later!

i bought a set of LED tails for my truck, and let me tell you - they suck (or at least the ones i bought at auto zone sucked)

the problem was this - when the tail lights were on, they were super bright, when i would step on the brake pedal, it looked the same, just more LEDs lit up - so unless you can take them back, or return them to the "sender" if you don't like them, i would steer clear

Thanks, that's a good tip... I appreciate it.. :thumbs

Phoenix FRC

Here it is finished

The front end.

Black-out%20front.jpg

And the rear end...

Black-out%20rear.jpg

So what do you think?

Guest Sidewinder

The sticky tape used for the third light is very strong, don't worry about losing it.

Guest UVETTYA

I think it looks damn good! :thumbs

Now you need to lower that puppy. :D

How about a closeup pic of the top of your rear window after the tint job? The more I look at mine the more I'm disappointed with it. If yours looks good I'm calling that guy to fix mine...

Steve

That's why I was asking.

I covered it.

Thanks & Later!

I saw it earlier, just decided yet. Mine showed up last Thursday, and I'm not sure I like them at all. I didn't permanently install any of it, except the front corner lights (hard to tell what it would look like with those not being installed). Then I wanted to see it again without them :crazy

Too much of a pain. I just need to park my car next to another black Z06 that has the blackout package for a sort of "before-and-after" view of the whole thing.

I've noticed as I get older, the more and more I'm avoiding the "Lick and Stick" approach to customizing my cars.

Phoenix FRC

How about a closeup pic of the top of your rear window after the tint job? The more I look at mine the more I'm disappointed with it. If yours looks good I'm calling that guy to fix mine...

Steve

Lower huh?

How much does that cost?

I think I saw a kit for the rear for like $98.00, how about the front?

If it's cheap I'd be all over that but come to think of it... that's another thread. :D

I'll snap a pic of the rear window directly.

You can lower on factory bolts for free.

If you want to go lower that will cost extra for the longer bolts.

You can lower on factory bolts for free.

:cool How do you lower on factory bolts

Guest XLR8TNC5
Too much of a pain. I just need to park my car next to another black Z06 that has the blackout package for a sort of "before-and-after" view of the whole thing.

I've noticed as I get older, the more and more I'm avoiding the "Lick and Stick" approach to customizing my cars.

Sidewinder has his black Z06 all blacked out with my old blackout kit. Looks hot! Im thinking of ordering another set for myself again. I thought I wanted to change the whole stealth black on black thing, but I changed my mind again and I am missing my black outs! His blackouts are the screw on ones so they aren't going anywhere and i have yet to find another set just like em. Damn. Im betting if I gave him back his chrome Z06 Sway Bars, he would probably give me back my black outs. lol. Hmmm? NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Ill keep the chrome sway bars! hehehe

LOL.

Later,

Tanya

Steve

Lower huh?

How much does that cost?

I think I saw a kit for the rear for like $98.00, how about the front?

If it's cheap I'd be all over that but come to think of it... that's another thread. :D

I'll snap a pic of the rear window directly.

Tom, you can lower it in less than an hour for free (plus a possible alignment). The factory ride height bolts will allow about 3/4" - 1" in the rear and more up front. If you want to go farther than that, then it's really just a matter of buying the proper hardware. Much less than the $98 you saw.

If I were you, I would consider having the curb in front of your house ground down some more if you plan on lowering your car. It's already a tricky angle to get in and out of your driveway at stock ride height without scraping.

If I get time tonight, I'll leave you some copies and information of when I played around with that option. It really was relatively easy, but I have decided to wait until I need to replace the tires again before doing it. Then I will only have to deal with the alignment once. Plus, I'm waiting until I get a chance to measure the corner weights of the car as stock before I mess with the suspension.

On a side note: can anyone out there tell me how BFG DR's handle in the twisties?