Motor Pull Party

Buccaneer

I may pull my NEW motor back out this weekend. Just wondering if anyone would care to stop over and give me a hand? Will post otherwise if a No-Go on that as soon as possible.

Requirements:

Must know how to operate a wrench with minimal supervision, no rookies please. ASE cert a + or lots of experience will do, No management type, wife does a good job of that...LOL! BTW: No barely pop till after the motor is out, sorry. :drinkers

Also, to whoever needed the welding done, now would be a good time to do that...HINT!

Sorry... I'll be out of town this weekend, as will a lot of the other folks. Good luck with the engine pull.

By the way, why did you decide to pull it back out?

Only 72 miles on new motor and its knocking...NOT a happy camper right now. machine shop said pull it and they will take care of it.

Ok, management (wife) just informed me that this weekend is off limits for me to do any corvette bodywork, engine work or motor pull in the garage :banghead So, I'll try again for June 3rd/4th weekend.

Have a nice holiday weekend :flag:party

F22trainer
Ok, management (wife) just informed me that this weekend is off limits for me to do any corvette bodywork, engine work or motor pull in the garage :banghead So, I'll try again for June 3rd/4th weekend.

Have a nice holiday weekend :flag:party

Hey - that's great! Now I can make it!!!

I just got word my Instructor checkride is Tues...and I should be out ffrom under all the pressures of life and ready to turn some wrenches. Unfortunatly my baby will probably be getting her nose fixed, but I'll have a rental to get around...not a Mustang, I promise. :thumbs

as for Memorial Day - same to you!

:flag:flag:flag to all who served.

Desertdawg

This weekend, house full of company for the youngest kids high school graduation... :banghead

Next weekend, moving both kids into NAU... :banghead

This summer with a weekend not already planned, :banghead

Thanks guys, no problem. If someone wants to stop over...COOL! Google the address:Gilbert.

Hey Dawg - Isn't it a little early to ship the girls off to college?

Tom - I will be there bright and early.

Phoenix FRC

I'll have to google you because I'm pretty close to you and might be able to stop by.

No problem and thanks guys. Jim said he would be over around 7am Saturday. Its going to get HOT Sat & Sun so I want to get an early start.

Desertdawg

Jim,

Megan is doing her usual summer class's and work.

Sam was accepted into the Stars program for the next 5 weeks. and it only cost me $100. (plus $350 for the river rafting outing).

Both the summer sessions and stars start this weekend...

F22trainer
No problem and thanks guys. Jim said he would be over around 7am Saturday. Its going to get HOT Sat & Sun so I want to get an early start.

If you get an early start, You could count me in...thought I'd meet up with the Saturday lunch Bunch later on around 1. I'm sure you hope to be in the A/C by then!!

F22trainer

If you get an early start, You could count me in...thought I'd meet up with the Saturday lunch Bunch later on around 1. I'm sure you hope to be in the A/C by then!!

Tom,

See ya 'round 7ish...should be fun!

Motors out! Thanks a bunch Mike for coming over and helping out along with Jim and Chris. :thumbs It sure made the job a lot easier and faster. I owe you one.

So how do you like those header bolt locks Mike?... :smilelol They suck going on and coming off, but work great while there on and hold everything in place.

BIG thanks again guys!! :thumbs:thumbs

I guess I missed everyone at Dave's. I got there at 2:46 and no Vettes ;) Man, do you all eat fast as you drive... :burnout:smilelol Maybe next time.

F22trainer
Motors out! Thanks a bunch Mike for coming over and helping out along with Jim and Chris.  :thumbs  It sure made the job a lot easier and faster. I owe you one.

So how do you like those header bolt locks Mike?... :smilelol  They suck going on and coming off, but work great while there on and hold everything in place.

BIG thanks again guys!! :thumbs  :thumbs

actually they weren't too bad, until ya drop the socket down the header down pipes.

Sorry we missed ya - next time for sure.

Had fun getting my hands dirty...oh wait, that motor was so clean I didn't get dirty!

:D

Great to meet everyone! Later,

Michael

POST THE PIC'S TOM!!

:banghead I hate when that happens... :smilelol My son went to the Pavillions with his camera before I could download the pics. I'll do it when he gets back.

Yeah, that was the only saving grace today with the removal no real dirt to speak of, I did have to wash my hands afterwards though :D

How many showed up at Dave's and when did you all leave?

F22trainer
:banghead I hate when that happens... :smilelol My son went to the Pavillions with his camera before I could download the pics. I'll do it when he gets back.

Yeah, that was the only saving grace today with the removal no real dirt to speak of, I did have to wash my hands afterwards though :D

How many showed up at Dave's and when did you all leave?

Only 4 of us...1 new face, another Mike! Pretty funny guy - didn't see his 'vette though.

We must have left about the time you pulled in.

Desertdawg

Sorry I missed it, looks like you guys had fun....

Now get it back to the builder so he can fix it...

I just dropped the motor off at the machine shop today. They said they would have it torn down this week sometime. I'm hopeing for the best and may have it back in two or three weeks with any luck.

Well, then there's the other cam I want to put in it now :D and the new heads and after talking with Jim about my other TBs, the 2"ers are going on it this time with the new Prominator ECM.

When I dropped the motor off, I told the owner that I DIDN'T want to have pull the motor again. :banghead

• 3 weeks later...

MOTOR UPDATE...the continuing saga :deadhorse

I found out what happened to my new motor. I just got back from the machine shop and the issue with the motor was that the guy that put the lower end together put the wrong size (smaller) main cap bearings in and that's where the low oil pressure and the knocking was coming from. The crank, rods, cam etc.. is ok. That's the good news!

Now for the bad news!! While the motor was on the bench and the tech doing whatever, the motor rolled off the bench and hit the floor. As you can imagine, it broke. The starter area broke off and cracked the block all the way around. Talk about being pissed and seeing red!! :mad :mad :bang:devil

The owner was extremely nice and apologetic and said they would get me a brand block and take care of all the repairs at no charge, which is very cool, but I'm still out an original matching numbers block now. :toetap

Tomorrow I go back to discuss the next phase of repairs and discuss those Dart heads I wanted since they are a Dart dealer. :rolleyes The whole thing sucks BIG time and if it wasn't for bad luck lately, I'd have no luck at all.

I have no idea when I'll get things back together at this point, looks like winter to me. :banghead:banghead

Be sure to point out the "loss of value" when they broke your numbers block, maybe they will toss in the heads.... :thumbs