Frustrated $1k at Bromley's and car still flooding

dss LT1

Doug's work is OK if you want a race car. He has no attention for keeping cars original or street driveable.

I would use him for a car that I plan to race, but never a street driver. He likes to strip them to the bone, overkill the ignition and fuel, lop off the accessories and say that you don't need things like a/c and power steering.

Sorry you had to find this out the hard way.

I would have been furious if someone hacksawed an original Holley for an LT1. Something like that should NEVER be done to an original part, that's what aftermarket parts are for.

I hope all is well and you get the car back the way you want it and it drives well.

Guest Simpson36

Quite some time ago, I suggested the forum would be more valuable to it's members if there was an area for rating vendors.

http://arizonavette.net/forums/index.php?s...c=1316&hl=forum

What I got in reply was a big lecture about how the forum was not for the purpose of 'bashing' vendors and take your problems off the forum and settle them privately, blah, blah. :cuss

Interesting that those same individuals who refused to provide a specific area to rate vendors now have sympathy and advice for someone who had their original LT-1 butchered by a shop that apparently has a reputation for doing just that.

Sorry to rant here, but to quote one of the posts in the thread above "I felt it needed to be said".

Desertdawg

Steve,

Go re-read the first page, there is no "all out bashing" of Bromleys going on, there is someone posting a problem and lots of help offered to get him back on the road.

My post was the first to really say something about the repairs he had done, and that was just to suggest to him to go get it ratified.

dss LT1 did post about the good work that Bromleys did for him, so it isn't like all Bromleys does it rip them apart.

Sorry if you see it different...

Guest Simpson36

Dawg;

Methinks you are the one who needs to 'go re-read' postings.

I did not say anybody was bashing anybody, nor did I say that "all Bromley does is rip them apart", so your 'explaination' misses the point.

Howver, since you brought it up, the 'reason' given for refusing to put up a vendor rating area was that it would be used for bashing vendors or getting the forum involved in a conflict Yet, here we have a moderator calling Bromley incompetent, so apparently that's useful information and not considered bashing.

Several local vendors participate in this forum and Bromley certainly could explain his actions here if he chose to. THAT would be useful information . . .

Vendor and product ratings are all over the web and in many forums. You can make all the excuses you want, but had this forum provided some form of rating for vendors, perhaps we wouldn't see statements like "Sorry you had to find this out the hard way" after a member throws $1000 down a known rat hole.

If Bromley knew his performance would be posted and effect that rating, either good OR bad, then perhaps there would not be a need to 'suggest' how to 'ratify' a butchered original carb . . . after-the-fact.

That's the way I see it . . . .

I give up, you win!

Dwayne, you're too nice!

The comment should be when you pay the bills and put the hours into this forum that I do then you too can have a "rate the vendor" section until then STFU or switch to "the other forum". Anyone that's spent anytime around forum's knows this is an age old argument and I don't see a section for that on CF either. But then again they won't say a bad word about any of their vendors cause they are collecting the green from them. Sorry Steve, I don't want to start a war but I vote we leave things just the way they are! :thumbs

Yet, here we have a moderator calling Bromley incompetent,

where ????

I never said his work was bad. I just said that Doug has a tendancy to build race cars instead of street cars. He likes his cars with no frills and plenty of power.

I never would have thought that he would take a hacksaw to a vintage carb like that, I am astounded.

As far as vendor rating --- just read through the posts by other users. You will quickly learn from other ACE members what places they like and which ones they do not. I see no need for Arizona Vette Net to have to get between users and vendors by putting a rating system. If we had a rating system and someone had a bad experience then it could be said that Arizona Vette Net is driving business away from a vendor.

By having it done in posts like this other users can read the FULL issue and not just a "this place sucks" rating with no explination. It also offers the vendor a place to reply and state what he did and how he plans to fix it. If a vendor does or does not reply here is up to them.

This way also we can give our opinion -- like mine stating that Doug builds good cars for race but I don't think he keeps street drivability in mind.

How would you rate this on a good/bad scale? He build good race cars with awesome power and track reliability -- that would be a "good". However - in my opinion - he doesn't keep daily driver / road cruiser in mind. Would that then be a bad? In my opinion it would be, but I prefer long distance cruising. To someone wanting a 1/4 or road course car this would be another "good". And the fact that I am an admin / moderator has no inpact upon what I say here. When I post I am just another member, another voice in the crowd of 300+. My opinion here in a post is not Arizona Vette Net policy or rating -- it's my opinion and that's it. When I am stating policy it will be in a post about policy and rules.

Let people read the posts and lets keep Arizona Vette Net out of the rating business.

I also agree with the NO RATING system. As you all know, there are 2 sides to every story.

I have been working with Doug very closely over the last 5 weeks or so and I find that he cares very much for the cars. I told him up front what my goals and objectives were and Doug and his dad did an outstanding job. I must add that he performed all work the way I would have done it if I was so inclined. He cleaned, painted and replaced parts he worked on and let me know exactly what he saw and we formulated a plan for the future as well. He treated the car just like it was his own. You don't find many service guys like that.

I for one will continue to frequent his shop.

My 2 cents....

• 2 months later...

Well here is an update... Doug found a place that would restore my original carb to new. He agreed to pick up about half of the bill. I thought this was a good offer considering the basics of the carb were 34 years and almost 100k old. About 6 weeks later, I received the carb back and it looks great. They welded new metal on the air horn so that the choke could be re-mounted. Unless you knew the history, you would never guess this carb had been damaged. All of the parts were restored and replated. All of the choke parts are new and work great. I'll be storing it in a box for now rather than remounting it on the car. If I ever have the engine rebuilt it will go back on.

Well here is an update... Doug found a place that would restore my original carb to new. He agreed to pick up about half of the bill. I thought this was a good offer considering the basics of the carb were 34 years and almost 100k old. About 6 weeks later, I received the carb back and it looks great. They welded new metal on the air horn so that the choke could be re-mounted. Unless you knew the history, you would never guess this carb had been damaged. All of the parts were restored and replated. All of the choke parts are new and work great. I'll be storing it in a box for now rather than remounting it on the car. If I ever have the engine rebuilt it will go back on.

:thumbs:cool:cool:cool

Glad things worked out well - one thing we know for sure from all this is summed up with the word "integrity"