NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Cures for Hard Water Streaks?

TigerVette

Finally got a chance to wash the cars since we moved here. No more Virginia mountain water for me, so any good products that help cut down the hard water streaks left behind after a wash? I remember there being some cleaner attachments for hose nozzles by Mr Clean, but never heard anything on them. Feedback?

Finally got a chance to wash the cars since we moved here. No more Virginia mountain water for me, so any good products that help cut down the hard water streaks left behind after a wash?

I remember there being some cleaner attachments for hose nozzles by Mr Clean, but never heard anything on them.

Feedback?

Two things too consider.

Streaking is caused by wipeing, this equals scratches, stop wipeing and use your towel to pat dry streaks magically disapear!

Make sure you are washing and drying with the cars paint temps at 75-85 for optimum temp for the pores to lay at rest.

Take one of my detail classes for sure that should help you greatly!

Finally got a chance to wash the cars since we moved here. No more Virginia mountain water for me, so any good products that help cut down the hard water streaks left behind after a wash?

I remember there being some cleaner attachments for hose nozzles by Mr Clean, but never heard anything on them.

Feedback?

My neighbor bought that Mr Clean thing, total joke.

Streaking is caused by wipeing, this equals scratches, stop wipeing and use your towel to pat dry streaks magically disapear!

Sorry, streaks wasn't the best description - it's water spots. Oh no, not doing any wiping. Eek! It's simply the residue left after the wash.

I'm very familiar with several detailing techniques, just never had to deal with hard water. Interested to see if there's any options, other than expensive filtration and softening systems. Rubbing/waxing spots out isn't the solution, needs to happen at the water level first.

My neighbor bought that Mr Clean thing, total joke.

Go figure. Thanks for the heads up.

I think the best solution is a water softening system.. Don't wait for one of Roberts detail classes, he's been promising them for a year now.. :toetap

I think the best solution is a water softening system

Yea, I did find a few portable systems but for the $$$ it's really worth doing the softening system at some point then. Darn.

First off dawg that struck deep brother real deep. 2nd maybe you thought I thought you were not clear but I heard you just fine. The money to buy soft water systems and or filterations systems are a huge expense. But if you prefer having more toys for us boys I am all about it. If you wash your car out of direct sunlight and the temps are between 75-85 deg. You will never have water spots if using proper roll off methods and drying tech. Do as you will. Happy detailing.

• 1 year later...
oldmxdog61u

I have a 44g tank in my garage fed by my home ro drinking water system that feeds our refridgerator and faucets. The 44g is more than enough to wash my car. In phx the water is HARD, over 800 ppm TDS. RO takes that down to about 20ppm which is spot free territory. Suds her down, rinse and blow her down. No spots.

You can also use a clay bar. I washed the caddy yesterday morning and I still had tons of spots. I went over the entire car with a mothers clay bar and spots were gone. Total cost was $18 bucks for the kit at wall mart.

• 2 months later...

When I got my grandsport a week ago we went for a 260 mile drive. I had lots of brake dust and bugs on it so I thought I would wash it down. Biggest mistake I have made in a long time. The hard water spots have taken days to remove. I found the detail spray and micro fiber towels works on the painted surface but the windows are driving me crazy. I have tried regular window cleaner that did nothing. I tried Invisible Glass spray that helped but not a complete removal of the spots. We tried using a little viniger which seemed to cause a smear. If we followed the viniger with the Invisible Glass spray they look pretty good. What a giant PITA! I may never wash it again.

When I got my grandsport a week ago we went for a 260 mile drive. I had lots of brake dust and bugs on it so I thought I would wash it down. Biggest mistake I have made in a long time. The hard water spots have taken days to remove. I found the detail spray and micro fiber towels works on the painted surface but the windows are driving me crazy. I have tried regular window cleaner that did nothing. I tried Invisible Glass spray that helped but not a complete removal of the spots. We tried using a little viniger which seemed to cause a smear. If we followed the viniger with the Invisible Glass spray they look pretty good. What a giant PITA! I may never wash it again.

I'm curious how you washed it? I wash everything with hard water and it's all about technique tp prevent water spots.

Desertdawg

Also there was probably zero wax or whatever protection on the paint since you just picked it up. The water spots will really take hold without anything to help seal the surface, glass included.

I had to use mcguires heavy cut cleaner to get the water spots out. then 2.0 swirl remover.

Dawg is correct on the zero wax problem. I have waxed the car and things are better. The windows still have some spots left after all my elbow greese so I will try the clay bar. Ted, as far as washing technique Rinsed car down with hose used a car wash soap in a bucket with micro fiber towel Rinsed car with hose Dried with micro fiber towel I was in direct sunlight, but this is the valley of the sun. If I waited for a cloudy day it would never get washed. I am open to any and all ideas/criticism?

I wash all cars inside my garage with the door open. No sunlight and the water drains right out. Give the car a good soaking. Spray on any bug/tar remover if necessary. Wash with a sudsy bucket of Car wash soap. Use a microfiber mitt with a deep pile or a sponge made for car washing. These hold dirt away from the paint while you wash. Before you dunk the mitt or sponge in the soapy water, dunk it in a clean water bucket or rinse off to release the dirt before you put it back in the suds. Keep the suds and dirt separate from each other. I try to go from top to bottom, front to back. Rinse liberally with water, try to sheet off the water beading. I use a soft gel blade to wipe off the remaining water beads. Use a car drying microfiber to dry. Try to pat it dry rather than rubbing or swiping. If you have to swipe, just use the weight of the towel, no pressure. Take an air source, like a compressed air hose or leaf blower and blow out the air in the cracks/lenses/emblems/door handles, body seams, and mirrors. It is extra work, but if you do it right, no runs or drips. The goal is to dry/remove the water beads without moving a cloth across the paint. The less you RUB, the better. Scratches and swirls are primarily caused by moving dirt across dry paint. That's why I stopped dusting my car. I only wash it when its dirty. If it's dusty, it's dusty. If it needs a wash, I wash it. No shortcuts. It's better to drive a dusty car than have a clean one covered in swirl marks, but that's my opinion. If you see a dried drip or spot with in the first hour or so, try to use detail spray and a soft microfiber to wipe it off, gently of course.

The windows still have some spots left after all my elbow greese

Double Ot steel wool and wire wheel acid.

Desertdawg

The windows still have some spots left after all my elbow greese so I will try the clay bar.

FYI, I usually wax the windows too, just use very little wax, rub it in really good with plenty of pressure, let dry and buff off with a microfiber...

Bugs will wipe off easier and for looks you get a little extra shine on them, it usually shows up under lights and for picture taking....

Okay guy's, lets talk about water spots on glass. I know a little about glass. The windsheild and back glass get the worst of the acid rain and all the other crap that your paint gets. Like your paint clay bar works wonders on removing the this chit. I have found 2 ways of removing chit from glass. #1 & #2 always do BEFORE WASHING YOUR CAR. #1 Spray glass withwindow cleaner, use 0000 steel wool pad to clean surface just as you would use a clay bar. Keep off the paint! Rinse well with hose and rinse off the rest of the car prior to washing. #2 With a "damp" not wet rag, place some kithen cleanser on rag and rub untill the surface feels free. Again keep off the paint and rinse well.

I have bunch of 0000 steel wool for tailpipes, never thought about using it on glass. What kind of kitchen cleaner ?

Steel wool and windex works great..used it back East to remove tree sap from windows.

Okay guy's, lets talk about water spots on glass. I know a little about glass. The windsheild and back glass get the worst of the acid rain and all the other crap that your paint gets. Like your paint clay bar works wonders on removing the this chit. I have found 2 ways of removing chit from glass.

#1 & #2 always do BEFORE WASHING YOUR CAR.

#1 Spray glass withwindow cleaner, use 0000 steel wool pad to clean surface just as you would use a clay bar. Keep off the paint! Rinse well with hose and rinse off the rest of the car prior to washing.

#2 With a "damp" not wet rag, place some kithen cleanser on rag and rub untill the surface feels free. Again keep off the paint and rinse well.