"Detailing" How to series, NEED Member Feedback

Wishbone

Ok ACE members I have been asked for a couple months now to put together a series of detail shops. Of course everybody has there level of tollerance on what and how they want their cars to look like. So I need some feedback from you. What type of detailing would like to learn more about. How can I help you kick up your cars appearence a couple of notches? How serious are you about taking care of your World class sports car and how far would you go to make it show room quality? Have you ever been approached by somebody that just gave you a world of acknoledgement for the appearence of your paint? I am going to hold classes with sign up sheets. These classes are free for all members and members only, sorry no friends with benifits. I am going to have a maximum of 8 students per class. This way I can spend ample amount of time with everybody and we can focus on what we are trying to achieve for the lesson of the day. So I need a list from members and what they want to learn about. I will start the series with lessons with the most amount of needs. I will also need to know the best days in which you can attend the training. If you have any questions feel free to call or PM me.

wickedfastvette

Sounds cool Robert! I need help, I need to learn about claybar and I want my car the best it can look so whatever that takes I want to learn it.

How can I get my engine bay clean? What can I spray down with a hose and what not? How can I get all the dust out of my a/c vents? I want my interior spotless! Those are the things that just come to me off the top. I'm game to learn some new stuff!!!

Robert, we already briefly talked about this today on the phone, but I want the works...the full Monty as it were, whithout the nudity of course. :P I fugure I have most of the painting skills down and just need a bit more practice I guess since I don't do it enough. Next victim...Philllll...Hallllll!? :) Whenever you are ready Robert, let me know.

I think everyone suffers from swirl marks. I've tried every product to get rid of them on every car I've owned. Used claybar, special products, you name it..............still visible.

I think everyone suffers from swirl marks. I've tried every product to get rid of them on every car I've owned. Used claybar, special products, you name it..............still visible.

My absolute weakness in detailing. Getting the glass perfectly clean. I've used microfibers with windex, vinegar, Stoners windshield cleaner. Always seem to have swirls or leftover residue somewhere on the glass.

One of the things that makes me cringe since moving to the southwest is the (well) water quality...is it my imagination but it's almost like a micro abrasive? I've try doing research on a filtration system that wouldn't be equal in cost to another Z, well you know what I mean, and hacen't had much luck. Mine is untreated, has very good taste, clarity, turbidity, etc....it's just got that trace of mineralization in it that shows up as a stain when it dries. I've even considered one of those "low water/no water" cleansing elixers but still not confident enough in them with their seemingly snake oil like claims to annoint my chariot wth them and hope I don't swirl myself either. Another thing is what's something ecconomical for spraying in the wheel wells to give the car that "finished" look? I too would be interested in engine compartment detailing as well.

I would get in line for the advanced class.... touchup, sanding, rotory techniques!

I may be able to help if you need it!

I've seen a lot of people stop in the gas stations out here and grab the window washer to clean the bugs off the front of thier new car! I even stopped a lady that was using it to clean the dust off the hood or her brand new paper plate, black mercedes!

Posted Image

One of the things that makes me cringe since moving to the southwest is the (well) water quality...is it my imagination but it's almost like a micro abrasive?

I've try doing research on a filtration system that wouldn't be equal in cost to another Z, well you know what I mean, and hacen't had much luck. Mine is untreated, has very good taste, clarity, turbidity, etc....it's just got that trace of mineralization in it that shows up as a stain when it dries.

I've even considered one of those "low water/no water" cleansing elixers but still not confident enough in them with their seemingly snake oil like claims to annoint my chariot wth them and hope I don't swirl myself either.

Another thing is what's something ecconomical for spraying in the wheel wells to give the car that "finished" look?

I too would be interested in engine compartment detailing as well.

I dont know what you are using or how you are applying and taking off? I also would need to know the materials that are being used as well as paint conditions. But from what you have told me makes a valid point to be mentioned.

Even if you make the corrections to your paint or myself for that matter. Correcting paint damage will not prevent from further damage put back in when using poor washing and dying dechniques. Using fillers o hide the flaws when you thought you corrected instead. Over 90% of scratches are placed from bad washing meaning you are doing the damage, or you are taking it to a car wash that is not a proffesional detailing facility.

Let me ask everybody this. How often when you take your family vehicle or daily beater to the Danny's car wash do you see a luxury vehicle? I would say very highly unlikely because they use the worst products that damage your paint behond belief and thats no joke. I crindge when I go there and see a person that most probably just purchased a really nice ride and take it there to get a wash. They might as well say come in for a quick sanding.

So to help you in your case I would sudgest signing up for some lessons on maybe not how to do paint correction but more of PREVENTION, which would include washing, drying, waxing, Ten NO'S guide to keepiing your paint looking new.

Guest Sidewinder

My absolute weakness in detailing.

Getting the glass perfectly clean.

I've used microfibers with windex, vinegar, Stoners windshield cleaner. Always seem to have swirls or leftover residue somewhere on the glass.

I would love to learn how to better care for the interior and exterior of my C4. I bought it a couple years ago with some paint damage and I doubt if I have helped any. I have water spots that never seem to go away. Will travel. Goodyear is right up the street from Ajo. Jack

I dont know what you are using or how you are applying and taking off? I also would need to know the materials that are being used as well as paint conditions. But from what you have told me makes a valid point to be mentioned.

Even if you make the corrections to your paint or myself for that matter. Correcting paint damage will not prevent from further damage put back in when using poor washing and dying dechniques. Using fillers o hide the flaws when you thought you corrected instead. Over 90% of scratches are placed from bad washing meaning you are doing the damage, or you are taking it to a car wash that is not a proffesional detailing facility.

Let me ask everybody this. How often when you take your family vehicle or daily beater to the Danny's car wash do you see a luxury vehicle? I would say very highly unlikely because they use the worst products that damage your paint behond belief and thats no joke. I crindge when I go there and see a person that most probably just purchased a really nice ride and take it there to get a wash. They might as well say come in for a quick sanding.

So to help you in your case I would sudgest signing up for some lessons on maybe not how to do paint correction but more of PREVENTION, which would include washing, drying, waxing, Ten NO'S guide to keepiing your paint looking new.

I would love to learn how to better care for the interior and exterior of my C4. I bought it a couple years ago with some paint damage and I doubt if I have helped any. I have water spots that never seem to go away. Will travel. Goodyear is right up the street from Ajo.

Jack

One of the things that makes me cringe since moving to the southwest is the (well) water quality...is it my imagination but it's almost like a micro abrasive?

I've try doing research on a filtration system that wouldn't be equal in cost to another Z, well you know what I mean, and hacen't had much luck. Mine is untreated, has very good taste, clarity, turbidity, etc....it's just got that trace of mineralization in it that shows up as a stain when it dries.

I've even considered one of those "low water/no water" cleansing elixers but still not confident enough in them with their seemingly snake oil like claims to annoint my chariot wth them and hope I don't swirl myself either.

Another thing is what's something ecconomical for spraying in the wheel wells to give the car that "finished" look?

I too would be interested in engine compartment detailing as well.

Hello AZ Gold,

I dont remember meeting you or your ride so I cannot say with cetainty what condition your car is in. But from your post it sounds like you have an eye for detail. You are correct in not finding a good quality water system that will keep your soft water calcium deposit free for a cheap price. In most cases unless you were going to detail for a living it is not cost effective to purchase one. However there are a couple of systems out there that you can purchase that do very good quality work if interisted I can send you some info.

In my ten step process on washing your vehicle you will eleviate water spots for good I promise. It is all in the washing people and there is no way around it. Wash your car correctly and you will not have any water spots.

As for your situation I would need to look at your paint up close to see if the calcium deposits have etched into the clear or not.

:agree I would like to learn how to properly wash my Corvette. My 1999 vert still looks good. Techniques that will help me keep the car looking great over a long period of time are what I'm most interested in learning. As a retired dude, whatever time works for you can be made to work for me. :thankyou:

I've used microfibers with windex, vinegar, Stoners windshield cleaner. Always seem to have swirls or leftover residue somewhere on the glass.

Not trying to hijack Bones thread. Do you use anything on the seats/dash as a dressing?

wickedfastvette

Not trying to hijack Bones thread. Do you use anything on the seats/dash as a dressing?

How bout cleaning up the suspension parts? A arms, cradles and things that are cast aluminum. What gets the grim off that stuff? I need help with everything as well. Depends on what days these fall on for me though. I work most weekends. Thanks for helping us out.

Guest Sidewinder

As for Mark and his thoughts, anytime brother. Interior is really tricky due to peoples views on what should be used and I only use products that keep Greese to a minimum and dust to nill, meaning nothing to attract it to the interior. So I do not use any products that are topical solutions soliables. I only use products that absorb into the interior for treatment use only to keep the protection and long lasting durability :rockon2:

Yup, was gunna say alot of stuff that people put on the dash leave a nasty film on the windshield even looong after it has stopped being used (wickedfast this may be your problem too).

Listen to Robert (Wishbone), he knows what he is talking about.