New section?...Ask the Lawyer

Desertdawg

Poll  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question time. I thought it would be cool to open a new section "ask the attorney/lawyer/Mark... or whatever" and letting Mark answer general questions on our forum. Right up front I will say that he will be pushing his services if he feels the situation warrants it, and his email and phone number will be displayed promenetly in his signiture. If the question or situation is personal or urgent then the member will be reminded to email or call since Mark will only be online once or twice a week. ACE (the club) will not gain or accept anything because of this section, and ACE (the club) will in no way be indorsing Mark or his services. Feel free to discuss or add suggestions...

Not a bad concept, and one that may certainly increase membership and traffic here on the forum once word gets out. This would be of interest, the ability to toss questions to an lawyer for free, to ALL motor vehicle operators regardless of marque. But in the end, like the saying goes "free advice is worth the price" so I see no harm, and the only liability would be to the subject matter expert, that is if you can get him to sign on to this.

wickedfastvette

I say do it, can't hurt and we would get advice. Just like we get car advice in the technical section.

I voted no

there is a reason why ACE does not have sponsors.

it creates a slippery slope that takes ACE out of a position of being netural.

Two Points

Number One

The Con arguments for no sponsorships are

Does ACE profit/benefit?

Who get that profit ($$$)?

How do you handle disagreements, disputes?

How do you set up boundaries so it does not deture away any new members?

What criteria do you set up for Allowing/Disallowing vendors from being a sponsored vendor?

There are many more... but I think you get my point.

now lets add a lawyer section, and some one involved/charged with a criminal action wanting help.

Yes we can set up all the disclaimers we want about free advise, but experience tells me when some one is desperate they will "Shotgun Sue" every one and any one associates with a scenario in an effort to protect them selves (like a momma bear protecting her young type of mentality).

I can easily imagine ACE being subpoenaed for statements posted on the board to be used in court.

Number Two

it is stated up front that he will be advertising his business/services.

..where do we draw the line?

Why not have a Classic Gold paint Section (Joe/STORYGLIDE)? or a Computer Help Section for my business FUTURENET? Joe and I have been around for YEARS and offered thousand of dollars of Free advise/services to ACE members and have created a positive reputation here.

In short I see this path as a slippery slope that raises to many questions while it would simply be easier to draw a hard line in the sand on the conservative side of the issue.

my 2 cts

Chad

Guest Sidewinder

Question time.

I thought it would be cool to open a new section "ask the attorney/lawyer/Mark... or whatever" and letting Mark answer general questions on our forum. Right up front I will say that he will be pushing his services if he feels the situation warrants it, and his email and phone number will be displayed promenetly in his signiture.If the question or situation is personal or urgent then the member will be reminded to email or call since Mark will only be online once or twice a week.

ACE (the club) will not gain or accept anything because of this section, and ACE (the club) will in no way be indorsing Mark or his services.

Feel free to discuss or add suggestions...

I voted no and did so based on the fact that I don't feel it needs its own section. Offering his services, or at least his opinions for free is an awesome thing, and I'm sure appreciated by most. I think sending him a PM is a far better way to go, and also semi ensures your privacy as well.

wickedfastvette

I voted no and did so based on the fact that I don't feel it needs its own section. Offering his services, or at least his opinions for free is an awesome thing, and I'm sure appreciated by most. I think sending him a PM is a far better way to go, and also semi ensures your privacy as well.

I say do it, can't hurt and we would get advice. Just like we get car advice in the technical section.

I know it will surprise you but I vote NO First off, I would never hire an attorney that had the time to answer questions on an internet forum. Too much like the Eagle. I want a professional. Secondly what happens when someone is introduced to Mark via our forum and they hire him but don't get the representation they believe they deserve? I say we're opening a can of worms at best.

Ok, I didn't vote because there was no "Maybe/Unsure" selection, but I would like to make a comment. First, his name is Marc, so get it right. :) Second, I'm not sure making a separate section would be a good idea, if someone wants to air their dirty laundry in open forum, then press on asking questions...but please don't get upset if someone makes fun of/at you, three years from then about it. I think a PM/email would be better or just ask generic questions about speeding tickets and other minor traffic stops which seems to be the most active topic on here when it comes to offenses, any :Axe: murderers here? Jus wondering. :facepalm: BTW, Did Marc register on ACE yet? I didn't see the posting if he did.

wickedfastvette

BTW, Did Marc register on ACE yet? I didn't see the posting if he did.

Secondly what happens when someone is introduced to Mark via our forum and they hire him but don't get the representation they believe they deserve?

Secondly what happens when someone is introduced to Mark via our forum and they hire him but don't get the representation they believe they deserve?

Is there a difference between this and all the endorsements we openly give for LPM or Classic Gold?

Yup, I think there is difference, a person could get a whole lot more upset about going to visit bubba in the big house than if their car's gonna start in the morning.

Further, LPM and Classic Gold don't have their own sections to advertise in. I think it would be great if you hire Marc and he does a good job for you then recommend him but it's not in a seperate section sanctioned by ACE, it's you as a individual. I take full responsibility for my recommending Classic Gold but I wouldn't put the responsibility back on ACE.

Is there a difference between this and all the endorsements we openly give for LPM or Classic Gold?

I cast my vote to allow it based on the premise that these would be generic motor vehicle operator questions of a legal or statute nature that might be of interest to anyone here. As for myself, I woudn't be interested in someone's personal legal issues and agree that a PM or even a PHONE CALL to this or any legal advisor would be more appropriate. I would like to think that we are amongst a group of individuals who would have enough sense to conduct their personal matters in private. As so far as to the liability of the host for the posting of such information, I wouild imagine that there is a disclaimer tucked away here somewhere that disavows "Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts, it's sucessors and or assigns, of any liability for any information made available here. Said information is to be used at the discretion of the reader and is not necessarily of an opinion that is shared and or expressed by the administrators of the Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts forum nor endorsed by same with regards to it's accuracy." I dont' see it as anything different than someone posting information on a repair to a car and it has the potential to be endangering as a result. Is the forum held responsible if the well meaning information was incorrect and there was loss of life or property, why of course not. It happened as recently as this past weekend with someone suddenly in need of a cure for "f'ingpackratschewedmywiresotosis". Seemingly the individuals who had some knowledge to share, regardless of their proven or known expertise, was welcomed and discussed with a postitive result from what I could tell. And to those who denounce this new forum area with rationals of it not being appropriate to appear to be posting while promoting their own, or that of others, biz, well why not have a section on the forum for the resolutions of PC problems or the proper care and treatment of paint and surface issues where you are the subject matter expert? I don't recall that there's a limitation on making such as request is there? We seem to have other non-Corvette relevent areas on the forum, so what's one or two more that might even be of an educational value? All in all, I still find it facinating that as a part of the human condition we all share that so much can be made of so little.

Guest Sidewinder

BTW, Did Marc register on ACE yet? I didn't see the posting if he did.

I was wondering the same thing.

As so far as to the liability of the host for the posting of such information, I wouild imagine that there is a disclaimer tucked away here somewhere that disavows ......

As so far as to the liability of the host for the posting of such information, I wouild imagine that there is a disclaimer tucked away here somewhere that disavows ......

FYI there is and Phill/Dwayne still get supoenas (?) from others.

evan if its there they still get dinged

example: The AZPS chaos 2 years ago had a member wanting to file suit against ACE because ACE "recemmonded" that shop in question.

f'ingpackratschewedmywiresotosis".

i voted NO as well .... don't think his own section is appropriate ... if he wants to comment on coversations throughout the forum from a legal perspective, that would be awesome (as so often is discussed in the radar section) and as others have stated PM would be much more appropriate for the personnel stuff ...... ((if he so chooses to work that way ... I'm with Ed on that issue .. there would be maybe some ethical question there) :2cents

Ok, I am going to speak my mind here and if I upset anybody than we can talk in PM. But I have felt sense day one that this club definately has its own click of people that are from the origional ACE group that was formed to be this club. Even though I have been welcomed by many here in the club it clearly shows through conversations and posts how the influence on members indirecting them one way or another about any one of the topics we discuss. Even though we technically do not have any Vendors or advertising the most influential type of advertising is through word of mouth. Any business owner could tell you this to include Joe and Chad. So when people on here are stating about no advertising and no Vendors I tend to shake my head. On the contrary, I do understand where some of you are coming from when it comes to legal advise. From what I have read from Dwaine, I in know way felt as if Marc was going to be giving legal advice for free! Why on earth would he or anybody do that when he or she does it for a living. My underestanding was on the premice that if we wanted to discuss anything related to legal opinions or scenarios once again in my eyes would be a "discussion". If one were to want professional advise from Marc of by any Business for that matter he or she would do it by setting up appointments and discussing through PM, email, text, and calling! I see no harm in having a Legal discussion board and I also feel we need some other boards to satisfy other reguards to us all helping each other out. Chad I do see your points as to legal issues. However as you know, stuff like this can happen reguardless of what we do say or here either in person or online. We all can be slammed with a lawsuit for any reason! Just as some of the other members have stated here. We give advice all day long on how to dodge tickets which by the way did not work for me as I tried and made a fool out of myself and had to pay an extra $40 for trying the dodging method of photo radar. So I was laughing when Marc was discusing on that issue because people on this form gave advice on an issue that was clearly off personal experience and not by facts. The judge from the County court was the one who set me straight on what we can and cant do. I personally feel if ACE wants to grow as a community of helping people than we should embrace change and with that I see no harm in Marc being able to be a point in contact to discuss on matters that warrant a discussion on legal issues. Wishbone out

I listened carefully to the information Marc was shareing with us at the BBQ. He was spot on in everything he said. He is a very competent attny. I base this on 35 years in LE. I was not offended by anything he said, and think he would give any prosecutor a run for their money. If I ever get in a jam, I very well may hire him to defend me. If I am at ACE, I will treat him as a friend as he seems like a fun guy. I see nothing wrong with a PM discussion with him to discuss something. He can give legal advise cause he is a member of the bar. Most of us are not, and should not.....it's against the law. jack

Let me just say this about that ..... its like an artist .... say ... the guy who painted Velvet Elvis .... is that the last painting to every be done ??? Should no one else even try .... From my perspective ... law is like anything else written or spoken ... interpertation still applies ... everyone's deal is different in some way ... to get into any level of detail ... the issues must me handled on a personnel basis ...... general discussion is important because of perspective .... that's why we do this .. ain';t it ... For anyone to state "that's how it is, period" is only foolin themself .... there is always "more to the story" This is a Corvette forum .... we help each other do what we love to do .... Vettes ...... if along the way we get into a discussion that may have legal ramifications, we have to remember its only a discussion, and everyone (including Marc .. whom I yet to meet) We're looking at all thats presented and we take what works for us ....... I too would treat anyone in this group not for what they do or what they have ... but who they are .... and my view of this crowd is that that's the main thing .... friends, family and fun. I too failed on the "wait it out" deal on the photo radar thing ... but that was my decision ..... period. Would I do it again ... damn straight ... cause the basis of what I picked up here I beleive to be true ... but again ... that's my decision .... I feel so much better ........ :rant

I vote no for reasons already mentioned, it isn't fair to our great guys who own businesses who are always there to offer advice on Corvette related stuff, stuff they could have made money on, which is kind of the mainframe for this site anyway, oh, and free posting by Cale. It would be great to allow everyone their own section which is what would have to be done if Marc Victors section is allowed, that being said, where would you draw the line? Perhaps its time to go commercial? Most will say no.

I know all of this is a reflection of what has already been written, but it is also the way I feel.