NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Engine at ADS - hoping for the best

chevy69

I know I can buy a new HO350 deluxe (complete from air cleaner to oil pan) from GM for under $3200 (I just put one of these in my street rod 2 yrs ago).  What do you guys think?

I would take a brand new GM engine for less then they are going to rebuild the old boat anchor for.

Cover it up , store it.

I'm not sure I can call a '69 350hp/350 a boat anchor. ;)

I mean c'mon, double hump heads, 11:1 compression, etc... I'm almost 45 and this was the stuff everyone looked for back in "the day" when we were all trying to rebuild rusty 10-12 yr old muscle cars back in Ohio ;)

Ok boat anchor no, but behind times yes.

1969 = SAE Gross HP

So that motor by todays standards is well below 350hp.

Most aftermarket Cast iron or alum heads >> 1969 Dbl Hump heads

I would still opt for a crate motor, while holding onto the original.

Just my opinion though. And we all know what they say about those . :D

Here's a little update. I went down to ADS on Friday afternoon and saw the motor now that it was apart. Simpson36, I did not see any machining capabilities on-site, but didn't ask where they send it, I will find out. I picked up a few of the parts they pulled off the motor (I had left my bellhousing on so it would ride more stable in the truck). Some of the push rods were seriously bent, not sure what caused this. The cylinders were very rusty, and the pistons and rings looked all frozen together from the rust. They won't have to deck the block, but will have to bore it .030 over. I just couldn't see any reason to keep the old pistons as Desertdog suggested because of their condition. It's going to be done in about 10 days and will have a 1 yr/12k mi. warranty (better get my butt in gear so I can run it a while before the warranty expires). I was impressed with the number of classic cars in the shop, or just outside when I pulled my truck around to pick up my parts. I saw an old t-bird (55-57, not sure which), a GTO, several mustangs, a nice Cougar convertable, several nice 68-69 camaros, a cobra, some kind of woody wagon, the list goes on. Made me feel that they know what they are doing (besides the fact that I was referred from this site). :thumbs

Guest Simpson36

Chevy69:

My 348 bent a couple of pushrods after it was stored for several years. The pushrods had varnish which hardened and locked them into the tight guide holes in the head.

Pushrods also bend from stuck valves or when the camshaft stops turning and the piston contacts the open valves. Was the cam or chain broken?

Don't worry about rust. It is absolutely not a problem on an iron block. The hot tank will remove the rust and (in my opinion) a proper rebuild always includes boring and new pistons anyway.

In my racing days, we used to scour bone yards for high mileage chevy blocks. Seasoned blocks hold tolerances really well after machining because the iron has taken a 'set' after a few thousand thermal cycles.

If the machining is done right and with a careful build, your engine will be better than new. The trick is finding a competent shop.

I'll be intersted in where ADS gets the machine work done. Please let me know!

Don't hesitate to ask for a hand slipping that new engine back in your C3.

Thanks Simpson36 - I appreciate the offer to help. Since I'm in the middle of a frame-off, the first help I might need would be to get the body off the frame and staged. This will likely include beer, pizza, beer. pizza, and more beer. Hope I can recruit a few helpers this spring :yesnod

Hey, I might be a little late, but just to throw my 2 cents in...I've heard alot of debates in the past about guys wanting to run their original block, but wanted to keep it for resale or whatever.

Personally, if I was that concerned about the original block, I wouldn't run it at all. Have them clean and bag it and leave it on a stand in storage, run a crate motor, they are ridiculously cheap.

Why? Well, right now if the block is still good, it's still good. If something bad happens and you trash the block, it all goes out the window.

Bitchin' paperweight or boat anchor.

Again, just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

I'm even later here, but if resale is truly the issue, a prospective buyer who really cares about having an ALL ORIGINAL car would also care about building the engine exactly how he/she wants it and have their own engine builder involved. IMHO go for the driveability and fun...Corvettes are not museum pieces...the old engine is a value added curiousity for when your sports car becomes a show car. You're likely already driving the car, what did you end up doing??

• 2 weeks later...

It's back, although I am a ways from driving as you can see from the picture below:

To be honest, this is the motor I really wanted in the car. The best choice may have been mothballing it and putting a crate motor in, but I've got one of those in my street rod project. I'm building this car the way I would of if I could have afforded to when I was younger and much poorer :yesnod

DSC01619.jpg

Here it is fresh from the shop:

DSC01633.jpg

Things are looking up. Remember if you get to a point that you need extra wrenchs all you have to do is host a Corvette Saturday/Sunday and you'll get help from this group. :thumbs

Guest UVETTYA

I hate doing repairs on cars, but doing it frame up like you are would be fun. :cheers

Looks great! I hope you keep posting pix along the way. :yesnod