NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Sway Bar Bushings

Jim-Vette

Hi all!

Is there anyone here that would be able to help me lube up my sway bar bushings? I have no way to get under the car to do this. I have taken it to a couple places that have lifts and they want do the job for me. (they all say that it won't help)

I could probably figure it out, but I can't get under it, and don't have the tools. Can anyone local to Phoenix area help me? I could pay you. The creaking is really loud and annoying.

It is a 99 Vert.

Thanks a million!

James

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim-Vette

• anmracing2

• Eddie44

• anmracing

Any Saturday afternoon, except this Saturday (Barrett/Jackson), or any sunday. Bryan left the wooden ramps at our house and we have plenty of room....

Let Melissa know when you have time to do it... Maybe we can get some of the gang to stop by and watch us work on it.... :P

Andrew

I thought Melissa was going to resopond, sorry. Yes, Sunday is fine. what time. Give me a call sometime tomorrow and I'll give you direction...

602/762.0348 Don't let any one see this number..... :P

Anyways, when we set up a time make sure to post when we will meet so the the rest of the gang knows too...

We are on Sweetwater between 56th and 54th st.

Eddie, do you need better directions??? Give me a call if so, we're just on the other side of the mall from you. Anyone else wamma stop by? We need an audience to make sure this gets done right....

Andrew

Hey Melissa, where are you??? Oh there she is, down the hall.... :P Get over here so I can PM you... :smilelol

Andrew

Anyone else wamma stop by? We need an audience to make sure this gets done right....

Andrew

I can stop by to point and laugh.

Depends on what is going on this weekend with the house. If we have some showings on Sunday I may need a place to run and hide for a while. I should stay home to pack and clean the garage though.

That would be :cool if you came over Bryan so that you can make sure the ramps are set up right.... :thumbs We need all the supervision we can get.....

Jim, do you have a grease gun???? I have one but it is small.. :eek The grease gun, I mean....

Andrew

Is this where I brag that mine's bigger than yours? :D

I've got one but haven't used it in years. Probably have to p/u a fresh grease canister.

Hey there!

I dont' have a grease gun but can sure buy one. I will call you in a little bit and well figure it out. I know that It has to be silicone grease and not petro based.

Anyhow, i will give you a call in an hour or so.

Thanks a million!

James

i have a grease gun (pneumatic) if you guys are interested - it too may need a new can of grease, but without a compressor it probably won't do anyone any good

Nice talking with you Andrew! I will be at your place Sunday around 10:30am. Hope some more folks can also come along.

See you then!

P.S. I'll bring a grease gun and some BEER!

James

Got a question?

Do we need a grease gun, or just the grease? Is there an actual fitting for it? I thought we would just take the rubber bushing out and smeer some grease on it with my finger... ?? I didn't know it had a fitting for the gun. LOL :cone let me know!

James

Got a question?

Do we need a grease gun, or just the grease? Is there an actual fitting for it? I thought we would just take the rubber bushing out and smeer some grease on it with my finger... ?? I didn't know it had a fitting for the gun. LOL :cone let me know!

James

No fittings. This a 10 minute job. I just sprayed a little White Lithium Grease. I just loosened the bracket that supports the sway bar, rotated the bushing around a little so the grease could work its way in. Button it back up, problem gone.

Okie dokie, Sounds like we don't need a grease gun but if any of you have a one bring it along then we can really tell who has the biggest one.... :eek The garage has a compressor and air lines too, so a pneumatic one will be fine.....

Jim, if you got one, bring it along... I hope its big enough to compete with the rest of the group.... :D I guess I'll have to keep mine hidden so I don't get embarassed.

10:30am. For anyone who is coming over, give us a call if you need direction. We're on Sweetwater west of 56th street. Just look for the GTO. It's yellow in case you don't know.. ;)

Andrew

602/762.0348

So, is this considered an actual EVENT? LOL if so it needs put up on the calender.. :bang:lol

this is a good ol' fashion corvette sunday - or do i have my days crossed?

we used to do this kinda stuff EVERY saturday at a little house in scottsdale with a urinal in the garage! - man those were the days!

:drinkers:lol

So, is this considered an actual EVENT?  LOL if so it needs put up on the calender..  :bang    :lol

this is a good ol' fashion corvette sunday - or do i have my days crossed?

we used to do this kinda stuff EVERY saturday at a little house in scottsdale with a urinal in the garage! - man those were the days!

:drinkers:lol

Um-Do NOT urinate in my garage. Not allowed!! :ack Was that your house, Chris?

Yes, it's a Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY! Everyone that can be awake at that ungodly hour is welcome. Seeing as how I've never been under a C5, and we're using Bryan's ramps for the first time, more help is considered a big plus! :rolleyes

and Jim says he's bringing beer! Can't beat that with a stick. :burnout

M~

Um, did you say you have never been under a C5? MMM,, yes please all who can come please come!! I will bring more beer! LOL !!! My poor little Corvette!!!

Um, did you say you have never been under a C5? MMM,, yes please all who can come please come!! I will bring more beer! LOL !!! My poor little Corvette!!!

Aha, you're learning the secret to boosting your post count! ;)

You're not worried about sending a rookie under your baby, are you? Hell, we just lube everything that looks dry! That ought to take care of any squeaking for you. :banghead

M~

Hell, we just lube everything that looks dry!

M~

Com'on M, you don't want to give the pervs on this board an opening like that! :D

I have been under a C5 many times. I've actually messed with the rear swaybar while I was installing my Borlas. Oh yeah, and I don't drink. That's why I'm coming to supervise the rest of you drunks! :lol:lol

Hell, we just lube everything that looks dry! 

M~

Com'on M, you don't want to give the pervs on this board an opening like that! :D

I have been under a C5 many times. I've actually messed with the rear swaybar while I was installing my Borlas. Oh yeah, and I don't drink. That's why I'm coming to supervise the rest of you drunks! :lol:lol

Eddie-Thanks for the reminder. I do forget that I'm among the leghumper brigade sometimes. I really didn't think about the implications! :crazy

And, please do come supervise - we'll need it! and it will make Jim feel more secure.

BTW-I hadn't mentioned that a cobra (not a mustang) comes lurking the neighborhood looking for trouble, so anyone who wants to 'hunt' may have a taker for a little run on the 51!

M~

Guest UVETTYA

Hey all, my wife and I take our Z06 out every Sunday and squeel the tires a time or two (nyuk nyuk nyuk) Would you mind if us newbees came by to say hi and meet a few of you? I don't drink either, but I've had my Z in the air a few times so I'm willing to help if you need another hand. That way you drinkers can have at it without hurting yourself. :smilelol

I have ramps, but I don't think they'll fit in my Z, but I do have a low profile Jack and some 2X4's if you think we'll need them. Let me know and I'll bring them along.

The right side sway bar started squeeking on my '03 around 50K miles, but I had a GMPP warranty and the stealership replaced it N/C. I didn't try lubing it, but that might work for awhile. You might need to replace it soon, though. It's prolly squeeking because the bushing is toast. I don't think it's too much of a job to replace and I don't think you'll need to re-align it afterwards either.

Steve

Hey Steve-good talking to you. I think we've got the tools covered. Bryan left his ramps here, which we've never used before, but we also have old-fashioned ramps too. I think we're good! ;)

Have a fun drive over from Surprise-that's where Jim is coming from also-you guys may want to meet up and caravan. :burnout

M~