NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

"Service Vehicle Soon" message

Guest AZC5Z06

Guest AZC5Z06

I was driving normally when a flashing message caught my eye. I was driving about 65 steady and it keeps popping up "Service Vehicle Soon" intermittently. Sometimes for about 5 seconds and other times about 1/2 of a second.

Any ideas?

I was driving normally when a flashing message caught my eye. I was driving about 65 steady and it keeps popping up "Service Vehicle Soon" intermittently. Sometimes for about 5 seconds and other times about 1/2 of a second.

Any ideas?

1. Turn the key to the ON position, but don't start the engine.

2. Clear any messages displayed on the DIC by pressing the RESET button.

3. Hold the OPTIONS button down and press the FUEL button 4 times. The computer will automatically display all the codes it has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds.

Note any code that ends in H is a history code indicating something that has occured in the past but is fine now.

Once the computer has finished going through all of the codes, press RESET to enter the manual configuration mode. It will start with a module and show "NO CODES" or '#CODES".

To clear the errors, once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays "NO CODES". Press OPTIONS to go the next module. Repeat this step until you reset the codes in all the computer modules. Only reset the codes if you want to. It is not nessary to do this.

Current codes showing are???

Guest AZC5Z06

it only showed 1 code 0118 H. that was it. i also noticed that my "competitive driving" was flickering and my radio also skipped at the same time. could be coincidence?

That code is a history code for Eng Coolant Temp(ECT) Sensor high Voltage, did you clear it? Sounds like a hic up, verify your batt terminals are nice and tight.

That code is a history code for Eng Coolant Temp(ECT) Sensor high Voltage, did you clear it? Sounds like a hic up, verify your batt terminals are nice and tight.

:withstupid Odd that all that non-related stuff occurs at the same time. Never assume your battery is good when wacky stuff like this happens, these things are so sensitive to having clean power its not even funny

Guest AZC5Z06
We could take a look at it?

Of course! i looked at my battery terminals and the negative bolt is fuxored like someone took pliers to it. i couldn't even budge it. the positive seems tight. i wiggled them around a little but i don't know if it did anything since i wasn't in the cabin. lol.

i cleared all of the codes, we'll see if it goes away after i mess with the battery again.

joe@cpr.com
We could take a look at it?

Of course! i looked at my battery terminals and the negative bolt is fuxored like someone took pliers to it. i couldn't even budge it. the positive seems tight. i wiggled them around a little but i don't know if it did anything since i wasn't in the cabin. lol.

i cleared all of the codes, we'll see if it goes away after i mess with the battery again.

ya remember i told ya it looked like someone took a pair of channel locks to your battery. no other codes were pulling up when you did the code check? do you know how old that battery is?

Quicksilver98

I agree....check the battery/connections and the ground connectors on wiring harness. They have been known to cause wierd problems.

Big Poppa

+1 for check the grounds. They are a known issue on these cars. Find the ground harness and pull it apart. Chances are good that it's all corroded in there even if it's not the problem causing your current situation.

joe@cpr.com
+1 for check the grounds. They are a known issue on these cars. Find the ground harness and pull it apart. Chances are good that it's all corroded in there even if it's not the problem causing your current situation.

i second the ground harness as the miles of your car are semi up there to where it has had time to get all jacked up. i know your battery terminals are fine (negative is all jacked up but fine) the ground terminal on the drivers side block was perfect so no worries on that side.

Guest AZC5Z06

Update: i started the car after not driving it all weekend tonight and it said "Charge System Fault". it's also still doing the "Service Vehicle Soon" message. Should i just park it until i can get it looked at?

I would change the battery first. I used to get a charge system fault too. Put an optima red top in it and never had one again.

That same battery that kept giving me the fault has been in my truck for the last 2 years with no problems. That's how sensitive these cars are.

joe@cpr.com
Update: i started the car after not driving it all weekend tonight and it said "Charge System Fault". it's also still doing the "Service Vehicle Soon" message. Should i just park it until i can get it looked at?

i just got that message tonight. (charge system one) probably will need to replace the battery in the future but i'm not really concerned about it.

Guest AZC5Z06
I would change the battery first. I used to get a charge system fault too. Put an optima red top in it and never had one again.

That same battery that kept giving me the fault has been in my truck for the last 2 years with no problems. That's how sensitive these cars are.

Thanks for the suggestion. Where do i get a good deal locally on the red top?

Thanks for the suggestion. Where do i get a good deal locally on the red top?

They're not cheap but I believe Costco is about the cheapest.

joe@cpr.com

optima's have had huge reliability issues as of late. i would steer clear of them, i have a napa gel type battery in the TA and have had it for over 4 yrs. that is what will go in the vette when i need to change.

i just got that message tonight. (charge system one) probably will need to replace the battery in the future but i'm not really concerned about it.

I had the same charge system fault and an hour later my battery crapped out

Guest AZC5Z06

Ok, i thought the issue went away but it didn't. It only happens when i have my AC on. Does that make sense to anyone else? Other than that, the car runs and drives perfect.

Have you pulled apart the ground connectors yet? Very very very common for them to be all corroded on the inside and you can't see it until they're apart. ANY electrical problem in a Vette should be chased through the grounds first.

Have you pulled apart the ground connectors yet? Very very very common for them to be all corroded on the inside and you can't see it until they're apart. ANY electrical problem in a Vette should be chased through the grounds first.

:withstupid Did you ever put in a fresh battery?

Guest AZC5Z06

:withstupid Did you ever put in a fresh battery?

I didn't check the grounds since i have no idea where they are. (stupid me). lol. I'm going to pick up a battery hopefully today as i didn't have time over the weekend. I'm just torn as to what kind. There's an Autolite in the car now that looks fairly new. Then there's the issue of my negative terminal being all chewed up. fun times.

Well, pulling the grounds is free. I'd start there. Do a search on Corvette Forum about it and you'll find A LOT of info, with pictures and all. It could be the battery, but I'd attack the free things first.

The main ones are on the frame just behind the headlights. Look for a connector that's bolted to the frame with maybe 10 wires coming out of it. Easy to see, the wires go in, but never come out.

DSCF0005.jpg