NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Car Question

knkayotte

isn't tanya our resident mitsu eclipse expert? i think she had a screamer - turbo version though, perhaps she might know - or checkout some of the DSM websites

DSM.org

isn't tanya our resident mitsu eclipse expert? i think she had a screamer - turbo version though, perhaps she might know - or checkout some of the DSM websites

DSM.org

At work, catching up from a weeks vacation. Just looking for a quick answer. Think I got it. From what I've been told they are interference motors.

Guest XLR8TNC5

Looks like you got your answer already, but yes, that 4G63 is an interference motor. The timing belts are notorious for killing the engines if they aren't mainained. I had the 4G63T in my car and it said in the manual to replace the timing belt every 57000-67000 miles. I owned the car to 66,999 miles. (No chit) and never replaced the timing belt, but it was on my list if I had decided to keep it.

The guy who told you he now owned a big paperweight, was right on the money. I can't tell you how many people I know who have thrown their belts and ended up with a worthless engine in those cars.

I'll wish your pal the best, but the prognosis doesn't look good.

Take it easy.

Tanya