NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Crank Pulley Bolt is walking

Guest GTrain

Since I had the cam and top end work done, the car keeps losing its AC belt. Its been replaced 3 times. So I put another one on and noticed that the belt is leaning back toward the motor and the main belt is also not seated correct. I reached in and the crank pulley bolt is finger loose.... :banghead

So the crank pulley is walking off. Everything is going to have to come out again, rack and all the other BS, so I want to fix it right.

After researching this in hundreds of threads on LS1 forums, Corvetteforum etc there seems to be a couple of alternatives:

A. Old pulley, new bolt,

B. New pulley, new bolt

C. Pin the old pulley or the new pulley, new bolt

Any experience here ? Is pinning overboard ?

I am leaning toward a new pulley, new bolt, locktight and 240lbs of torque per the manual.

Maybe Mike with chime in.......

corvettebelt1.jpg

i've been doing just a little reading, and the majority of people that are pinning are running superchargers with high boost - don't ask me why - that's just what i'm reading.

as far as overboard - it's hard to say - if it fixes the problem once and for all, then i say go for it!

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Since I had the cam and top end work done, the car keeps losing its AC belt.  Its been replaced 3 times.  So I put another one on and noticed that the belt is leaning back toward the motor and the main belt is also not seated correct.  I reached in and the crank pulley bolt is finger loose....  :banghead

So the crank pulley is walking off.  Everything is going to have to come out again, rack and all the other BS, so I want to fix it right.

After researching this in hundreds of threads on LS1 forums, Corvetteforum etc there seems to be a couple of alternatives:

A.  Old pulley, new bolt,

B.  New pulley, new bolt

C.  Pin the old pulley or the new pulley, new bolt

Any experience here ?  Is pinning overboard ? 

I am leaning toward a new pulley, new bolt, locktight and 240lbs of torque per the manual. 

Maybe Mike with chime in.......

corvettebelt1.jpg

I can pin the crank for you :) We have a special tool just for LS1s !

I have never personally had to do that though, generally a few drops of loctite and 240 ft lbs will hold it forever. My ex-tech didnt believe torquing was important either so I had to redo a few bolts as well to fix his mistakes! Bring it by and I will fix the problem for you!

Guest AZ Power & Sound

oh, and I have a stock corvette pulley and many bolts in stock if you just want new ones, or I can put an ASP pulley on for you :)