NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

1000' Drag Strips

Desertdawg

NHRA was at at Firebird this past weekend, they ran the new 1000 foot track for the first time in Phoenix which is NHRA's effort to make things safer.

Since ACE just attended a club day at Speedworld, it got me wondering how long it will be until the 1000' timing hits the friday nights, and club days. I'm going to check my timeslips from yesterday when I get home today.

It's going to take awhile to get used to the new numbers!

I never really could figure out the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile comparison, now it's going to be even more messed up.

The switch to 1000 feet was and is for the Nitro classes only.

After Scott Kalitta's accident last year, the NHRA mandated the 1000' track length to hopefully provide more shut-down area and to help curtail the number of engine explosions.

I don't think they'll phase out the quarter mile distance, in fact, if they can legislate some new rules for the Nitro classes they may go back to the 1/4 mile for them too as long as there is enough run-off.

I didn't know they were working on going back to the 1/4, I just thought they would stay with 1000' and the standardize it across the rest of the class's.

I prefer the 1/4, no need in chamging it.

Bromley's Corvettes

The funny thing is some of the guys are going almost as fast at the 1000 as they where at the 1320 so is not a fix if they had to do something after Scotts death. They need to work on being able to slow the cars down faster because some tracks can not be made longer. Some have a road or freeway or air port or lake or something at the end. A lot of tracks would not be able to hold N.H.R.A Nitro races if they wanted them to make the shut down longer. They need a water brake at the end of the shut down so it would slow the car no matter what with out ripping the guys head off and put out the big fire. Most of the time when a car cant stop its on fire lol. The warter brake would stop them and put out the fire at the same time.

Bromley's Corvettes

Yeah they cant just make the run offs longer so I guess they said make the runs shorter lol. Its kinda a fix.

Actually, MOTV8 has this one right.

By shortening the track length to 1000 feet, the engines do not hit the NHRA mandated rev-limiter which is primarily responsible for top end engine explosions.