NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Projector Headlights

Tim

Never seen these before, but sure looks like a ground. Didn't it come with instructions?

Nope - got 'em from another c4 owner on another forum...not in the boxes

The ringed terminal looks like a ground, but i think we need more info for a proper diagnosis. Do these replace the whole headlight housing? Just the bulb? What you got goin on there?

Some time ago I picked up a set of projector headlights and planned to install them on my 84.

Took the out of the wrappings and discovered two connections for the "blue bulb"....one is appearently a ground.

See pic..

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm296/t...00/IMG_4851.jpg

Anyone install these before?

are they Projector or HID?

Projector is the style of "housing" like this

Image7.gif

and the housing can hold either a normal

hagelon bulb

H4bulbs.JPG

or a HID bulb

H7_HID_Bulb.jpg

with the proper ballast

gpthunder-hid-all.jpg

The ringed terminal looks like a ground, but i think we need more info for a proper diagnosis. Do these replace the whole headlight housing? Just the bulb? What you got goin on there?

Just the seal beams.

Ok.... They're replacement sealed beams that have a projector style lens placed inside the housing. The blue bulb is what Hella calls a "City light". It's a 5w bulb that illuminates the inside of the housing to look cool with the parking lights on. With the headlights on, you'll most likely not even see them.

Wire the city light power side to the parking lights, and the ring terminal to a ground. Kinda worthless though as the headlights are hidden on your car when they're off. You might move the city lighht to the fog light housing if you really want it to show, or leave it out all together. Your call.

Plus... if you put image tags in front of and behind the pictures above, they'll show up in the thread. put img in square brackets [] in front, and then /img in square brackets behind. If you look at the photobucket codes below the picture, you'll see it.

Ok.... They're replacement sealed beams that have a projector style lens placed inside the housing. The blue bulb is what Hella calls a "City light". It's a 5w bulb that illuminates the inside of the housing to look cool with the parking lights on. With the headlights on, you'll most likely not even see them.

Wire the city light power side to the parking lights, and the ring terminal to a ground. Kinda worthless though as the headlights are hidden on your car when they're off. You might move the city lighht to the fog light housing if you really want it to show, or leave it out all together. Your call.

Plus... if you put image tags in front of and behind the pictures above, they'll show up in the thread. put img in square brackets [] in front, and then /img in square brackets behind. If you look at the photobucket codes below the picture, you'll see it.

Thanks Chris. I'll look at the image thing.

So I can install them without the "city light"?

Well they are in....what a pain.....you have to raise hood, turn the lights on, unplug the motors - then take of the large bezel...4 side screws are not easy to reach, then you have to close the hood and take out four more screws...

They're in and I'm going across town in bit an see how they work out.

Thanks.

4 hours later and no reply!

Has anyone watched the local news in Tucson for live footage of someone driving around with no headlights on ????

Chris..don't care how much you trash talk my vette....I'm still not going to sell it to you....so stop asking. I'm sure you can find CFI on Ebay.

Ok....these things are wacked......I laughed my ass off...

Pulled out of my drive and I notices a spot light on my neighbor's tree....drove some more and notices spot lights above the windows of the houses I passed.....I looked up in the sky to see if a cop helicopter was following me...I'm pretty sure I'm not wanted in this State.

I'm thinking these aren't suppose to be in a this car..they sure are bright though.....

I looked up in the sky to see if a cop helicopter was following me...I'm pretty sure I'm not wanted in this State.

That's not what I heard....

• 2 weeks later...

Those headlights are chinese made and the "projector" lens is placed just in front of the bulb with no calibration whatsoever. I had those same ones on my Reatta (paid like 5dlls on ebay for a pair) and they look cool, but they don't illuminate the road the right way, the lens instead of concentrate the light beam into a spot it just spreads it out everywhere, pretty much those are for show only, not to mention if you don't seal them with a lot of silicone water is going to find it's way inside the headlights (specially on pop up headlights).

LHP-7X6_thumb.jpg

I recommend you this style instead without the projector, they still look ok and they also work.

HLT76SQ.jpg

And the "city light" can be plugged into the quarter lights, it doesn't matter which cable you connect to ground, the bulb will work both ways. I dunno in the C4 but the C5 you can turn off the headlights and leave them up if you just switch back to quarter lights, maybe the C4 could be similar so you can have the city lights on without the headlight on.... but again, that's just for show.

Those headlights are chinese made and the "projector" lens is placed just in front of the bulb with no calibration whatsoever. I had those same ones on my Reatta (paid like 5dlls on ebay for a pair) and they look cool, but they don't illuminate the road the right way, the lens instead of concentrate the light beam into a spot it just spreads it out everywhere, pretty much those are for show only, not to mention if you don't seal them with a lot of silicone water is going to find it's way inside the headlights (specially on pop up headlights).

LHP-7X6_thumb.jpg

I recommend you this style instead without the projector, they still look ok and they also work.

HLT76SQ.jpg

And the "city light" can be plugged into the quarter lights, it doesn't matter which cable you connect to ground, the bulb will work both ways. I dunno in the C4 but the C5 you can turn off the headlights and leave them up if you just switch back to quarter lights, maybe the C4 could be similar so you can have the city lights on without the headlight on.... but again, that's just for show.

Well that's exactly what I paid.

Excellent..Thanks.

Tim