Tuning my EFI setup...

Donbecker

...so we're off and running...

I start a new job on Monday and I need to fix my leaky cr@p valve covers (have just received approval to buy some good ones at Loper's).

Besides that though, I need to get this beast accelerating abit more smooth.

I currently have it idling around 1000-1100, the adjustment screw is all out, so I'm guessing either a vacuum leak (not likely) or the IAC...

I tried to take the IAC out to 'adjust it' closed, but no luck, wouldn't budge.

Can anyone assist?

Also, if anyone would like to help out with the numbers/tuning I would really appreciate it, I'm learning alot but some of this stuff I would feel alot better on if someone double checked me...

i don't know what year you bought this stuff off - but on my '92 - the computer controls idle - and it should idle at 600-700 - the "idle screws" really shouldn't be messed with only to "fine tune"how about your TPS -

the C4 TECH FAQ is going to become your NEW best friend - i always hated that section, as it confused the hell out of me - so i just gave up trying to figure it out!

Is the car driveable? If so maybe you can bring it over tomorrow night.

Call me before coming over, I may get stuck with work again.

Also, I have some chrome Chevy valve covers, tall, and they probably leak too. Let me know if you want them. The ONLY ones I have had that haven't leaked are either the thick cast aluminum ones or the ones that came on my ZZ4. They have a solid rubber gasket and the heads are milled flat at the gasket surface instead of having a round cast edge that most GM heads have.

Is the car driveable? If so maybe you can bring it over tomorrow night.

Call me before coming over, I may get stuck with work again.

Also, I have some chrome Chevy valve covers, tall, and they probably leak too. Let me know if you want them. The ONLY ones I have had that haven't leaked are either the thick cast aluminum ones or the ones that came on my ZZ4. They have a solid rubber gasket and the heads are milled flat at the gasket surface instead of having a round cast edge that most GM heads have.

What happens when you just unplug the IAC ? If it still does not change then you got a vacuum leak.

Hi guys,

We bought some cast covers at Loper's for like $60 and they seem to seal good (time will tell).

Bryan, I have an IAC in the TB, but it's not being used. I tried to adjust it to block off the air passage but had no luck.

Togo, the original setup for the 86 it was off of was a MAF, but I don't use it for megasquirt.

I got the idle down around 1000. I had tooled around the subdivision with it, and had a few stumble conditions, acceleration wasn't great, but it was drivable.

We tried it on the highway today, got on lower 202 at Arizona Ave. and got off at Kyrene to change some of the computer settings....

and it died on the exit ramp when I stopped the car.

A guy stopped and helped me push it to the nearest subdivision.

We then tried to jump it and no luck.

Called tow truck. 45 minutes later, got it on the truck.

Towed it home, couldn't roll it off the truck, seems the transmission was in gear (even though the stick was in neutral?).

I got in, pressed the clutch and we were able to get it off the truck.

So what I'm trying to figure out is what would cause it to die and not be able to restart?

My system controls fuel only, no spark.

The great thing about this is we are down again to one car, and I start my new job on Monday, which means either I miraculously fix the car and tune it in only tomorrow or I'll have to carpool w/the Mrs. and she won't be very pleased.

Arg.