Does someone offer a free code reading service?

3,503 lbs of trouble

3,503 lbs of trouble

I just got an SES light in the T-bird. I've heard AutoZone or someplace like that will plug in a diagnostic tool and read the code for free. Is this correct? I don't want to pay the Ford dealer $40 to tell me what's wrong if I can get it done for nothing. Last time they told me I had a blown head gasket even though the car has never overheated.

Yes, I beleive Checker and Autozone do this for free. Idea is that you will buy your replacement parts to fix the problem from them.

Call before going to make sure they have a scanner that works.

3,503 lbs of trouble
Yes, I beleive Checker and Autozone do this for free.  Idea is that you will buy your replacement parts to fix the problem from them.

Call before going to make sure they have a scanner that works.

:thumbs

I just want to know if it's serious, or if it can wait. I didn't notice any problems with the engine performance. Once years ago, the engine went nuts, barely got it off the freeway, and it threw a code. Cycled the ignition, it ran normally from there. By the time I got it to a dealer to have it checked out, the light had cleared, and they could not find anything wrong with the car. That was like 70K miles back, and this is the first light since.

Hey Dan-let us know if you have luck with Autozone/Checker. If not, we have a scanner here- ;)

See you Saturday night?

Melissa

What's this "See you Saturday night" business????? :toetap

Andrew

:lol I've said it before, I'll say it again, this is better then TV.

:lurk

Hey Dan-let us know if you have luck with Autozone/Checker. If not, we have a scanner here- ;)

See you Saturday night?

Melissa

now THAT'S HOT!!!!!

hey dan (and everyone for that matter) i went to checker and they said they do NOT scan for free anymore - i think their scanner is part of their LOAN A TOOL now - but the guy wasn't very forthcoming!

i went over to autozone and he plugged a metal thing into my ALDL and blinked the lights - i could have done that myself, but at least this guy had the customer service skills to make a sale - bought my ECT sensor there - but still throwing another code!

:cuss

next i need to replace the TPS!

just FYI!!!!!

Lucy, you've got some splainin to do!

Do you guys really live in the same household??? :smilelol:smilelol

3,503 lbs of trouble
What's this "See you Saturday night" business????? :toetap

Andrew

Looks like this SES light is creating trouble rather than simply alerting me about it. :eek

3,503 lbs of trouble

OBD II Code P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Possible causes: defective catalytic converter, engine misfire, large vacuum leak, or oil leak into exhaust-valve guide seals or piston rings.

- engine misfire: I'm not noticing a miss, but it's always run a little rough. Still, have gone 112,555 miles w/out a tune up. :lol Probably a good place to start.

- large vacuum leak: Don't know how this would manifest itself, but as I said, I did not notice a change in engine performance.

- oil leak into exhaust valve guide seals or piston rings: Considering my Vette had this problem, and blew the trademark Chevy puff of smoke on startup, I looked for the same startup puff from the T-bird, and did not see anything from the driver seat, plus it's not going through oil at all.

- defective catalytic converter: hmmm, oddly the other night right after I started the (cold) car and moved it from the space where it had been parked to my garage 50' feet away, I noticed a significant trail of drips. I panicked and checked all the fluid levels, which were fine. I moved the car to discover a puddle had formed under the car a foot or so in from the exhaust tip. Felt like moisture, and had no odor. I drove off, and when I returned it had evaporated. Don't know if this is a symptom of something related to the SES light or not, but it got my attention because I've never noticed that much moisture come from my cold engine before.

If it's simply a bad cat, "F" it for now. Luckily I just had an emission test a few weeks ago!! I don't see any reason to replace a bad cat until my next test in a few years. If that upsets some of you possible greeny weenies, then I'll be happy to get a new cat sooner if you pay for it. :D

OBD II Code P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Possible causes: defective catalytic converter, engine misfire, large vacuum leak, or oil leak into exhaust-valve guide seals or piston rings.

- engine misfire: I'm not noticing a miss, but it's always run a little rough. Still, have gone 112,555 miles w/out a tune up. :lol Probably a good place to start.

- large vacuum leak: Don't know how this would manifest itself, but as I said, I did not notice a change in engine performance.

- oil leak into exhaust valve guide seals or piston rings: Considering my Vette had this problem, and blew the trademark Chevy puff of smoke on startup, I looked for the same startup puff from the T-bird, and did not see anything from the driver seat, plus it's not going through oil at all.

- defective catalytic converter: hmmm, oddly the other night right after I started the (cold) car and moved it from the space where it had been parked to my garage 50' feet away, I noticed a significant trail of drips. I panicked and checked all the fluid levels, which were fine. I moved the car to discover a puddle had formed under the car a foot or so in from the exhaust tip. Felt like moisture, and had no odor. I drove off, and when I returned it had evaporated. Don't know if this is a symptom of something related to the SES light or not, but it got my attention because I've never noticed that much moisture come from my cold engine before.

If it's simply a bad cat, "F" it for now. Luckily I just had an emission test a few weeks ago!! I don't see any reason to replace a bad cat until my next test in a few years. If that upsets some of you possible greeny weenies, then I'll be happy to get a new cat sooner if you pay for it. :D

What does any of this have to do with Saturday night?

Okay, people. You need to keep your pants on-

I guess the post should have said, "see you Sat night AT PAVS?"

sheesh~

M

ps-Dan, my (okay, our) scanner would tell you what you already have there as far as code and diagnosis. So, like you said, starting with a tuneup couldn't hurt.

Except that it's a ford-insert ford bashing joke here......

i went over to autozone and he plugged a metal thing into my ALDL and blinked the lights - i could have done that myself, but at least this guy had the customer service skills to make a sale - bought my ECT sensor there - but still throwing another code!

:cuss

next i need to replace the TPS!

just FYI!!!!!

Chris if the TPS you are speaking of is the Throttle position sensor, I have a complete 48mm throttle body from my 96 LT-4 you can have!!

It will cost you a beer!!!

PM me if you want it and I will bring it to lunch tomorrow!!

Ken

3,503 lbs of trouble
Dan, my (okay, our) scanner would tell you what you already have there as far as code and diagnosis. So, like you said, starting with a tuneup couldn't hurt.

Except that it's a ford-insert ford bashing joke here......

Thanks for the offer to let me use your scanner! The AutoZone a few blocks from my house checked it in two seconds. I'm waiting to see if the code clears by itself after however many ignition cycles it takes on a Ford, and if it does, I will wait to see if it returns. Perhaps that will tell me if it was a one time "whatever", an intermittent issue, or a condition that's here to stay 'till I fix it.

Yes, the car is WAY overdue for a tuneup, and Doug Bromley has been on me to get it done. Even if the problem is unrelated, it needs a tuneup anyway, but still I hope that solves it.

• 11 years later...
Cherrypoppins

I need help. I have a 1984 crossfire with 54000 miles. I was at a show and when I started it up a few seconds of slightly blue smoke came out but quickly burnt off. I've had the 84 3 months and it runs great (leaks a little bit of oil but I don't care about that) I had all the corvette seniors tell me it's the valve guide seals. They told me eventually it will hurt the spark plugs that they might have to be filed eventually. I live in north phoenix I have not much mechanic experience but I researched this job. Can anyone tell me how much it might cost or give me instructions using the amazing redneck rope technique in the spark plugs hole without having to get the positions top dead center. Please help folks

20161112_121649.jpg

The winner for "oldest thread ever revived on ACE" goes to.........  :lol 

I can't help you but, there is a mechanic on N Cave Creek road that has been referred for C4 work in the past, hopefully someone will chime in.  If you're willing to make the drive I'd suggest taking to Joe at Classic Gold Auto in Tempe, he owned a C4 Grand Sport and he does all my work.  Doug Bromley can help you also, same general part of town, he works on a ton of C4's and C3's.

Bromley's Corvettes

WOW this tread is how many years old lol. Sounds like valve guide seals its a common problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

yup sounds like valve guide seals, have them check the valve guides themselves while they're in there, most likely they're just fine but well worth a little extra to check.