NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Front Suspension Phase One Complete with PICS

Phill's Vette

Phill's Vette

Finally got Phase One finished!

Replaced control arm bushings - upper/lower; left side upper shaft, upgraded 460lb coil springs.

All this took me many many hours over the course of 15 days. I have also been working with a torn pectoral muscle on my right side, so mobility and just regular old wrench turning ability was diminished. Removing the old 26 year old control arm bushings was the most time and energy consuming part of this; I really should have got some help..... I also did a lot of cleaning, sanding and painting of everything as I went, so that took a lot of time also.

Phase Two will be tire rods, upper/lower; billet aluminum tire rod shafts (Less flex);HD ball joints upper/lower; HD idler arm. After this, my front and back suspension will be complete with some good performance upgrades. Then maybe I will start the planning phase of the motor upgrade to 383 stroker or maybe 402 I think.

Oh yeah, I am having Santa bring me Hooker Side exhaust for Christmas! I am going with their black painted system as I think the black will look great with my charcoal paint.

I will be sure to post if I need some help.

:thumbs

Phill's Vette

Just so happens that I took a ton of pics; I am doing a "How To" tech article for another forum on my (mis)adventures in front end overhaul. :thumbs

The most important item needed (I Used Two Cans)

9zm1bc.jpg

The second most important item needed.....

15fg87b.jpg

Bandaids should probably be at the top of the list..... While pounding on a pry bar, a micron size piece of metal hit my hand - you know the big vessel in the back of your hand? Well that is what was hit. A very small hole and an unbelievable amount of blood - I didn't even feel it! Looked like a dam crime scene on Cops!!

fmnzbs.jpg

One bushing in, one to go:

15ytbfs.jpg

Before:

2lcpkhx.jpg

After:

if4xat.jpg

My helper Papillion:

vyo9eb.jpg

More pics when I do Phase Two

Bromley's Corvettes
I gotta tackle this some day in the not too distant future.

I have some tricks for getting the old bushings out. I get them burning with the touch and air chisel them out and I use lots of rust pennutrating spray. I can get all of them out in about 30min. I have done a few lol. Drilling out the rivets to replace the ball joints is another story lol. Thats a.p.i.t.a.

Phill's Vette
I gotta tackle this some day in the not too distant future.

I have some tricks for getting the old bushings out. I get them burning with the touch and air chisel them out and I use lots of rust pennutrating spray. I can get all of them out in about 30min. I have done a few lol. Drilling out the rivets to replace the ball joints is another story lol. Thats a.p.i.t.a.

Doug,

After the first bushing battle with a BFH and chisel.... I used a torch on the other 7 bushings and it went much easier. The right side was faster due to the 4 days of soaking PB Blaster on everything BEFORE I started. My coming ball joints will be easy - they are not the original with the rivets, but have bolts! :banannasword: That would be a PITA to remove the rivets!!!

If you don't draw blood it you aren't working with enough passion. Nicely done, your Vette loves you!