NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

New LS crate motors

MOTV8

I don't know for sure what block CaHd just got to replace the CaHded one, but for anyone else looking for some really stout LS crate motors you just need a healthy bank account....

GMPP's new LSx 376 and 454 motors linky

World Products also makes an LS series block that can be punched out to like 480 cubes, and Katech recently introduced a blown LS7 crate motor for anyone looking to build their own ZR1-eater:

Katech LS7 SC linkski

It's only $37,000.

:banghead That definitely leaves me out.

I've often wondered if it makes more sense to mod a current LS1 or LS6 in comparison to swapping in a crate LS7 or now a LS376 or LS454..... by the time you add a cam, heads, slugs etc, the parts and labor could easily meet or exceed the cost of the crate motor, and the obvious advantage swapping is you have 2 motors, one as a spare or to sell to recoup some of your money.

I wonder if anyone has investigated how expensive and difficult it is to swap in a crate LS7 in a C5? Just thinking here, it's alot more fun to daydream about mods that to watch the stock market crumble to pieces.

It's only $37,000.

"But wait!!!"...... act now and we will throw in a set of GMPP stickers to the first 25 callers. Operators standing by now.

I wonder if anyone has investigated how expensive and difficult it is to swap in a crate LS7 in a C5? Just thinking here, it's alot more fun to daydream about mods that to watch the stock market crumble to pieces.

it is possible.

The key is to get the correct intake, heads and block. they all have to be LS7 units.

all you would need is a few custom wiring harness, Oil dry sump setup, and possibly different headers.

the ONLY deal breaker is the 56x reluctor wheel and cam timing wheel.

to swap out the Reluctor wheel to a c5 friendly unit (called a 24X) requires a COMPLETE break down of the block and removal of the crank shaft.

because of that, most peeps get a ls2 block that was offered with a 56x OR a 24x reluctor wheel (depending on the year and make of car[GTO vs vette vs caddy]) and bore it out the the 427/418 Ci.

that break down labor on a $17K engine is a tough pill to swallow.

Done it before. Its not cheap and the computer stuff to deal with is kinda annoying but its soooo fun haha.

Katech recently introduced a blown LS7 crate motor for anyone looking to build their own ZR1-eater:

Katech LS7 SC linkski

It's only $37,000.

The 402 I got from Katech has no problems eating a ZR1 and cost 1/3 that. For cost reasons, I would recommend a LSX 402/427 ect. over the LS7. Once you throw all new internals in it, there's no reason to pay $12K for a block. Especailly when you can get fully built 400+ ci shortblocks for under $5K.

Those are all overpriced IMO.

Especailly when you can get fully built 400+ ci shortblocks for under $5K.

:agree

TandL Linky

The one's that have been sticking in my mind are the 383 A-2 and the 408 A-1

From American HP -

Our motors are $4,990.00 plus shipping (around 250.00 for crating and shipping)

This includes:

NEW 6.0 GM LS2 Block

Callies 4" Forged Crank

Callies Rods w/ARP rod bolts

Wiseco 4.005" Custom Forged pistons

File Fit rings

Clevite Main bearings

Durabond 1 piece cam bearings

ARP Main Studs

Double roller Timing Set

Melling 10295 Ported oil pump

Custom (to your specs) cam

Torque plate honed

Align honed mains

Align Honed cam journals

Completely balanced and blueprinted (with ALL documentation)

Cam professionally degreed

Completely assembled

Deduct 550.00 if you delete the (cam, oil pump, and timing set)

ORRRRRR, you can upgrade to an LS3 418cid for 450.00 more..

One of the better deals out there.

*nice* ..under 5k !!

That's like findin a big port 396 in a junkyard station wagon back in the day,

..then doin all the good bits to it :)

(balance, 11:1's, tunnelram, 320 x 600 cam ..the usual :)

Love the sig pix Drew :)

-Frank