NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Blower motor or relay?

F22trainer

Howdy all,

anyone know a trick to determine if the relay or the blower motor is bad? ('87)

The fan for my A/C - heat (non electronic climate control) is coming on very intermittent and now practically useless. Not good on those cool mornings! The motor hasn't been making any noises like bearings or such. Connections seem to be OK...Just started acting up...

Anyone else have this happen?

MH :flag

I don't claim to know anything about it, but my AC would not blow cold air and it turned out to be a bad switch that told the unit whether to blow cold or hot. The switch cost less than $30 at Freeway Chev, Chandler. Nick is the service man that fixed my problem. May have been a special deal to me, don't know. I know what you guys think of new car dealers so take the info for what it's worth. Sometimes on free advice you get just what you pay for, ha, ha. My Vette is a 90. R :bang on

Howdy all,

anyone know a trick to determine if the relay or the blower motor is bad? ('87)

The fan for my A/C - heat (non electronic climate control) is coming on very intermittent and now practically useless. Not good on those cool mornings! The motor hasn't been making any noises like bearings or such. Connections seem to be OK...Just started acting up...

Anyone else have this happen?

MH :flag

check all your wiring connections. Pull them apart, clean them and pack them with dielectric grease.

To check if its the motor or not, find a time when it's not working well and check the voltage at the motor. If it's low going in then it's most likely a bad switch or relay.

i replaced the blower motor in my 85 - not too hard - except for that damn hamster wheel!

it never did fit right - i bought it at checker or auto zone!

try to buy factory parts if you have to - at least you'll know they are the right parts!

another thing you could try is to remove the motor and put it to 12 volts and see what happens - i think that would work!

does it work at certain speeds, and not others?

if so, then it could be either the switch or the relay.

i have no fool proof way to assist in your endeavor and i got rid of my haynes manual so i'm absolutely useless - i'll stop typing now

check all your wiring connections.  Pull them apart, clean them and pack them with dielectric grease. 

To check if its the motor or not, find a time when it's not working well and check the voltage at the motor.  If it's low going in then it's most likely a bad switch or relay.

Thanx B. (and everyone else)

I'll blow the dust off my meter and see what happens tonite.

I checked it this morning as it did come on...sort of, and I could feel some vibtration within the unit which was not harmonic with the engine. Kind of like the armature / comm. was just weak though it was trying. I'm almost willing to bet the current will be OK and the fan is just pooped.

...will keep ya posted.

MH

edit: ...sometimes it's the most obvious answer that's most elusive...

:bang

Thanks to all who replied...

The meter worked, there was power and after a stop at NAPA for a new unit.

VIOLA, success a working blower. Tried it out before I went to all the trouble of completely installing - WOW, those babies really have some torque! Had my girlfriend turn on the car while I held the fan assembly...I thought it was really moving - then she turned it on HIGH! Almost spun right out of my hand! WHEEEEEE! :bang

Now of course, thanks to the Helms manual the whole operation was a breeze. All you have to really do is to take off the inner wheel well...and of course I've been thinking of really cleaning those up and putting on a fresh finish. So a good scrubbing with simple green, a good wet sanding and three coats of paint and WOW! (and finally got to use those heat lamps, I bought too!)

Now I have to do the other 3... I opted for the the matching color instead of black and used the spray touch up. Va Va Va VOOM,eh! And naturally, since I had all that stuff off, I couldn't very well put it back together without cleaning it all up in those places I couldn't normally reach...

MAN THESE CARS ARE FUN!!!! :bang

Can't wait to get those wheels and tires from you Ken...I'm working this weekend so I can get you some $'s and not have to eat Top Ramen noodles the rest of the month! Hopefully next weekend...I got adapters on the way.

Tried it out before I went to all the trouble of completely installing - WOW, those babies really have some torque! Had my girlfriend turn on the car while I held the fan assembly...I thought it was really moving - then she turned it on HIGH! Almost spun right out of my hand! WHEEEEEE! :bang

Did you try it with the squirel cage fan attached to the blower motor? That makes them REALLY jump around in your hand and gives you much less to hang on to.

Yeah, those suckers have some torque and can do some damage. Don't ask me how I know :willy

Tried it out before I went to all the trouble of completely installing - WOW, those babies really have some torque! Had my girlfriend turn on the car while I held the fan assembly...I thought it was really moving - then she turned it on HIGH! Almost spun right out of my hand! WHEEEEEE! :bang

Did you try it with the squirel cage fan attached to the blower motor? That makes them REALLY jump around in your hand and gives you much less to hang on to.

Yeah, those suckers have some torque and can do some damage. Don't ask me how I know :willy

o yeahh....it got a bit slippery real quick - but I held on for the full 8 seconds.... :rolf

Did you win one of these?

last I played with oneof those blowers, I won one of these.....

plaster-band-aid.gif

...nope, didn't win anything - but, maybe on the Poker run!!!

Wonder if we can get those wheels on by then????