NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Anyone installed those billet/chrome side fender things on a C5?

Matth3w

Title says it all...thinking about maybe picking them up but not sure of my confidence level in putting them on straight. I have very little patience and I have a tendency to #%ck s&it up because of it. Sad to say I have put turbo kits completely N/A cars and rewired ECUs but for some reason the Vette makes me a little less confident...

Edit: grammer

Title says it all...thinking about maybe picking them up but not sure of my confidence level in putting them on straight. I have very little patience and I have a tendency to %&ck s*it up because of it. Sad to say I have put turbo kits completely N/A cars and rewired ECUs but for some reason the Vette makes me a little less confident...

I hope its not those "down south" fender extensions lol

Ah... I'm down to assist, but I aint done it before. I gotta assume that they figured out how to let total idiots install them correctly.

"These custom billet aluminum, triple chrome-plated Side Spears add a touch of class and style to any 1997-2004 Corvette. Sold as a set of six pieces. Peel and stick design comes with mounting template and instructions. Comes complete with fender screens needed for installation"

Straight off your link.

Should be pretty easy.

Title says it all...thinking about maybe picking them up but not sure of my confidence level in putting them on straight. I have very little patience and I have a tendency to %*ck s*it up because of it. Sad to say I have put turbo kits completely N/A cars and rewired ECUs but for some reason the Vette makes me a little less confident...

I hope its not those "down south" fender extensions lol

OH, spears

"These custom billet aluminum, triple chrome-plated Side Spears add a touch of class and style to any 1997-2004 Corvette. Sold as a set of six pieces. Peel and stick design comes with mounting template and instructions. Comes complete with fender screens needed for installation"

Straight off your link.

Should be pretty easy.

Yea, I hear that, but I've heard that phrase before and it turned into a nightmare. I'm a hands-on kinda learner, and it never hurts to have someone show you what they have done. Prime example, even though lowering the C5 is an easy task, it did me great service to have BigPoppa come down and show me hands-on. We didn't accomplish our task due to a seemingly welded bolt, but I could easily lower a C5 with no assistance at any time (sans frozen bolts) because of his helpful example.

See, I'm helpful....

I lowered mine all by myself...and no help from Chris. :lol

I imagine that template the mention is one you kind of overlay onto where you're putting them, then just peel and stick. But no matter, it's still fun to have people come and help, point, etc. :thumbs

I still haven't decided on these yet. The issue here is that I need to quit reading effing Corvette related forums and quit spending money.

Straight off your link.

Should be pretty easy.

Yea, I hear that, but I've heard that phrase before and it turned into a nightmare. I'm a hands-on kinda learner, and it never hurts to have someone show you what they have done. Prime example, even though lowering the C5 is an easy task, it did me great service to have BigPoppa come down and show me hands-on. We didn't accomplish our task due to a seemingly welded bolt, but I could easily lower a C5 with no assistance at any time (sans frozen bolts) because of his helpful example.

I have to lower my c5 3/4 of an inch already installed bigger rims is this done with the spring clamps and does it have much effect on the performance of the suspention? i want to do this as soon as this monsoon humidity leaves, or my split system a/c unit for the garage shows up. Do you guys have any pointers on installation or tips perhaps... or suggestions that would be helpfull... or maybe some time to instruct me while handing me tools while i do the work... or drink beers and hand me tools while I do the work....or i could hand you the tools....or maybe I could drink beers and hand you tools while you work.....either would work...lol. :bang

Straight off your link.

Should be pretty easy.

I have to lower my c5 3/4 of an inch already installed bigger rims is this done with the spring clamps and does it have much effect on the performance of the suspention? i want to do this as soon as this monsoon humidity leaves, or my split system a/c unit for the garage shows up. Do you guys have any pointers on installation or tips perhaps... or suggestions that would be helpfull... or maybe some time to instruct me while handing me tools while i do the work... or drink beers and hand me tools while I do the work....or i could hand you the tools....or maybe I could drink beers and hand you tools while you work.....either would work...lol. :bang

I'm with Matthew.... I'm down to help, but I'm going out of town. Plus, it's RETARTED easy once you know how. It's a factory adjustment. You will need a jack, jack stands, a 10mm wrench, 13/16 deep socket, ratchet and 2" extension, and an 18mm wrench. Those tools will drop your car about 1" in the front and 3/4" in the rear with no substantial deficit in the ride, and it will take you about an hour your first time. I can do it in about a half hour now, but I've done like 10 cars. If you want it down farther, add a sharp knife and 1/2" x 7 1/2" bolts, fender washers and nylock nuts to the list, as well as another hour and a few more hand tools. That will get you another 1/2-3/4" in the front and an additional 1-1 1/2" in the rear.

If you have those tools and want to tackle it on your own, I can type out the directions for you. If you still want help, I'm sure there's a bunch of guys on here that can do it and would be willing to help. I'd be glad to help, but I'll be in Houston the next three weekends.

Ya, it's MY fault that the previous owner stored your car at the bottom of the ocean for 2 years..... :D

Marco, put some penetrating oil on the list too.

Ya, it's MY fault that the previous owner stored your car at the bottom of the ocean for 2 years..... :D

UUUHHH... what will we be doing with that?.....OH! got ya.....thanks! you are too helpfull if you want to type it out I'm sure I could do it myself but then what would I do with all the beer, Captain, and burgers?

UUUHHH... what will we be doing with that?.....OH! got ya.....thanks! you are too helpfull if you want to type it out I'm sure I could do it myself but then what would I do with all the beer, Captain, and burgers?

Call Cahd.

I'll type that up later and post it as a new thread.