NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

72Update

knkayotte

Been busy last few weekends and have made a ton of progress. I?ll just dive in with what I?ve done so far. Replaced timing chain gaskets (new cover as well with seal), bottom one was leaking really badly (mates up with oil pan and timing chain cover). Replaced steering components (pump, control valve, power cylinder) all steering leaks have stopped. I know I could of rebuilt most of this stuff myself, but found it easier to replace with new or remanufactured (clean) parts instead. Dialed in the control valve this morning and adjust my back lash on the gear box.

Harmonic balancer had groves on the part that enters the timing chain area and the thin rubber layer was rotting away, so I replaced it as well.

Ripped the petcock off the radiator when I went to drain the radiator (drained real fast after that), decided to replace the whole thing. Replaced it with an aluminum radiator from summit; added a separate external transmission cooler. Seems to be working really well.

Replaced my fuel lines with braided lines (changed fuel filter), and changed out all the belts. Fuel lines were in really bad shape.

Only part I didn?t replace was the upper radiator house, you guessed it, started to leak this morning (pin hole).

Transmission seems to be strong, filled it with fluid this morning (must have been low even though I swear I checked it before). Before when I would put it in Drive or Reverse it would take a few seconds to engage, now it instantly goes into gear with authority. Will change the trans. fluid in the near future even though it looks clean. Actually, chirped the tires going from 1st to 2nd which it wasn?t doing before, shifts much better.

Next on the list: Replace master cylinder and the upper radiator hose. Both items are on order. Check rear-end (seams to be leaking a little) and focus on the AC. After that, replace all the suspension bushing (will inspect brake system as well) along with changing out the exhaust (to dang quiet).

Still surprised at how well the motor runs, since the major leaks are fixed, I no longer leave smoke trail behind me. My rear main is leaking, but I can live with it for a while. Had a gut feeling I should have changed it while I had the pan off, oh well, live and learn. Only gauge not working is the the clock and the tach (bounces all over the place). Hopefully will have brakes by the end of next weekend.

Later all,

Keith

a: Yes, you should have done the rear main when you had the oil pan down and had all the steering parts out of the way.

2: C3 clocks never work - ever. They are just decoration.

D: sidepipes sound really nice.

Ripped the petcock off the radiator when I went to drain the radiator (drained real fast after that)

Lol , ya that will usually do it!

Sounds like your making awsome progress on the car!

a:  Yes, you should have done the rear main when you had the oil pan down and had all the steering parts out of the way.

2:  C3 clocks never work - ever.  They are just decoration.

D: sidepipes sound really nice.

Gambled on the rear main and lost. Not loosing sleep over it.

80% sure I'm going with sidepipes. Looking into the whole setup now. Just not sure how I'm going to connect from my headers to the side pipes. Headers look like they go past the point I should turning to mate up to the sidepipes. I've got a couple of ideas. Will order the sidepipes in a month or so and see where everything lines up.

Going to replace the clock with a more useful gauge; maybe trans temp gauge or fuel mixture gauge. Will worry about it when I tackle the interior.

Bryan, do you know what the sensor on the passenger side engine head is for? I'm guessing for the ac or something. Not hooked to anything at this point. Need to dig it up in my manuals.

Ripped the petcock off the radiator when I went to drain the radiator (drained real fast after that)

Lol , ya that will usually do it!

Sounds like your making awsome progress on the car!

Been keeping track of your progress as well. Wouldn't mind picking up a C4 in a few years add to my Vette collection.

Now that I know the car is mechanically sound, I'm really motivated to keep working on her. I think I'm more excited about this car then my C5, lot more fun to work on and drive around.

Keith

I have no idea what the sensor is. I would have to look at it.

For headers to side pipes, some have a double "S" that connects them. Or you have to cut the header collectors as short as possible and then do the curve.

And, unless you plan on a $500 wideband O2 sensor set up, the air / fuel gages are worthless. The "band" is so narrow that all you see is it go from full lean to full rich back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and ...... :crazy

The only "real" way to measure and monitor is with a wideband system.

Go for the trans temp or oil temp gage.

3,503 lbs of trouble
Go for the trans temp or oil temp gage.

I have an original factory '81/'82 C3 oil temp gauge, wiring harness & sensor for sale.

Does it have two connections to it??? One wire is brown??? I have no idea what it is.... jk...

It is for the Transmission Controlled Spark system. It has something to do with the emmisions. In a four speed car, it is suppose to stop vaccum advance when the car is in fourth gear and the temp get to a certain degree.

I am not a Vette person so I am not too sure about this but I don't think it is anything that really needs to be connected. I doubt that it will effect the way the car drives.

Andrew

I had factory side-exhaust on my '66 and the Hooker Header/side-exhaust combo on the '69!

I liked the sound of the 66 best, except when the BB 69 had no baffling in the pipes!!

The stock exhaust manifold flange joined to the sidepipe flange with a flex coupling that looks like they borrowed the idea from 'The Cord'. No chrome just mild steel and mine blew through in about three years in Illinois weather!!

Shorties are the way to go for headers!

You don't want Hookers unless you enjoy leaving skin on the sidepipes!! It hurts worse than it smells!!

Keep posting the progress report!! :thumbs

Ken

Guest XLR8TNC5

Holy moly! You have been busy! Better do it now, because when "baby" Ayotte gets here, your time will fly right out the window! hehehehe.

thanks for the updates though. It is about the only enjoyable reading I have done in a long time that doesn't have to do with CORPORATE FINANCE in someway or another. lol.

Take it easy and hope to see you all soon!

Tanya

Thanks all for the encouragement. Got home today and found a package from Summit which contained my flexible upper radiator hose and air filter. Since the new radiator, stock hose doesn?t fit anymore. Everything fit nicely. Air filter should easily fit under the hood now. Adjusted my backlash, now the steering is nice and tight.

Stopped at my neighbors, after one of my ?test drives?, found out he has everything to check out my AC (gauges and vac. pump). We talked until dark, when I left I pleasantly surprised to find all my interior lights working. Not to mention the headlights work great also, pop up with authority.

Your right Tanya, I'm in a little bit of a rush. Trying to do as much as I can before the kid gets here.

Writing the updates actually helps me know where I've been and where I'm going with this thing :lol