NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Think it's time for a modification

kwikvet

OK, I think I am ready to pull the trigger on headers. CF had a group purchase on LG Street's with the X Pipe for $895 shipped. (Thanks Sean and a few others for the heads up)

a few questions....

I'm leaning towards the "off road" without cats, no smog test where I live, and I dont put more than a couple thousand miles on the car per year. Your opinions? It's a $200 savings, and I think it may be a bit louder :yesnod and maybe even less restrictive?

I'm hoping the stock Z06 Ti mufflers and pipes after the X pipe will not limit the gains much vs. a Corsa, BB or similar aftermarket system, whaddya think? I kinda like the stock look, and hope the sound will be more agressive without getting too rude.

Is this really something I can install in my garage (possibly even pay someone to help me) or is it really a job for a muffler or performance shop? If so, what do you think they would charge?

I understand a custom tune is in order afterwards, but i'm wondering if there will be any drivability issues or anything else I should be aware of (clearance, maintenance issues, etc.)

appreciate your comments, thanks

OK, I think I am ready to pull the trigger on headers. CF had a group purchase on LG Street's with the X Pipe for $895 shipped. (Thanks Sean and a few others for the heads up)

a few questions....

I'm leaning towards the "off road" without cats, no smog test where I live, and I dont put more than a couple thousand miles on the car per year. Your opinions? It's a $200 savings, and I think it may be a bit louder :yesnod and maybe even less restrictive?

I'm hoping the stock Z06 Ti mufflers and pipes after the X pipe will not limit the gains much vs. a Corsa, BB or similar aftermarket system, whaddya think? I kinda like the stock look, and hope the sound will be more agressive without getting too rude.

Is this really something I can install in my garage (possibly even pay someone to help me) or is it really a job for a muffler or performance shop? If so, what do you think they would charge?

I understand a custom tune is in order afterwards, but i'm wondering if there will be any drivability issues or anything else I should be aware of (clearance, maintenance issues, etc.)

appreciate your comments, thanks

I've gone both routes... I'm on my 2nd set of LG headers and with this set I have both off road pipes and cats. The previous set was a off road only set and was their 1st gen design with a dynotech x-pipe. I've had the pro series headers on the car with and without cats and a Borla stinger cat back exhaust. The sound I really like is somewhat in the middle. I love the LG Pro series with cats and a Z06 Ti catback. I was able to pass smog in Tucson with a tune and some custom tweaking with HPTuners at my house without cats but honestly the no cat smell just wasn't worth the added few horsepower and "less restriction" that the setup offered.

I would recommend calling and talking to the guys at LG, get either their pro or street series headers and both the delete pipes and the cats. It's a fairly simple change to add cats later if you've already got them in your garage and ready to go on the car.

Hell, if you need any help I'll even come up and lend a hand.

No%20Cats_jpg.jpg

IMHO that "no cat smell" is due to a poor tune.

in my 99 vert, I installed headers (from Texas speed), with no cats, and blocked off the AIR valve. I used Flowmaster and B&B mufflers with that setup. I was happy with the end result. No resosonance (sp).

the computer freaked that there was no o2 sensors, but all it did was throw a check engine. No harm no foul.

A few weeks later I had Nic just do an edit to remove the O2 and AIR unit checks.

I have had that set up for over a year now and been through AZ emissions twice with no problems and no smell.

Installing your own hearers (with ACE help if you wish) is a good step to becoming a proper gear head.

If I'm not working when your ready to do this I will come by and give you a hand..

Being that i'm just a few miles from you.

Rob

No cats...no big deal...and I have mine tuned (by Nic) and for some reason I just love that smell. :lol If you don't want to do the tune right away you can try and find some O2 sims and not get codes.

It is something you can do in your garage if you are decently mechanical...I did mine. You do need to get the car fairly high in the air because you will be under the car a lot...a creeper helps and some TALL jack stands.

I'm really busy right now trying to get caught up and get ahead for my classes, so I could not help in the extremely near future...plus you're way out in BFE. :lol But if timing is right I'd be willing...might charge you for gas though. :lol J/K!!!

I've got the LG Streets with X, high flows and Indys. Love the sound, as you will love your new sound too. I went with the high flows just incase emissions decided to look under the car. I also had Nic tune the car and delete the o2 sensor. As far as diong ir yourself, I agree with the others, with time, patience, tools and enough height on the car it can be done. It will take the better part of a day(probably all day with the beer breaks of course).

92ZR1Wannabe

No Cats?

:)

My car passed emissions for years with gutted cats. If you car is in good running shape it should be no big deal.

As far as doing the job yourself, If you need help just say the word. I recently moved to Casa Grande and there are a couple of us down here that love spinning wrenchs on our cars.

Joe

extremely near future

I've been trying to wrap my head around the meaning of this for the last few minutes with no luck... :willy

extremely near future

I've been trying to wrap my head around the meaning of this for the last few minutes with no luck... :willy

Um, I am soooo busy right now trying to get my classes all organized and lesson plans laid out so I'm not running around like a chicken with it's head cut off I can barely take a breath during the day to get anything else done and by the time I get home I'm WIPED OUT and...

Yes, one intentional long run on sentence to get the point across. :lol

I don't know when I'll get caught up and don't want to commit to anything where someone is counting on me...YET. I'm hoping to get better organized over the weekend, but there are no guarantees (sp?).

Oh, and YES Rick, "You can do eet!!!"

Rick... I'm doing this tomorrow if'n ya wanna drive to Tucson to lay under a car with a fat guy....

How much does Nic charge to delete the o2?

Andrew

for me it was not nick but a guy at Extreme. it was around $40 i think.

Rick... I'm doing this tomorrow if'n ya wanna drive to Tucson to lay under a car with a fat guy....

is there room for 2 fat guys under that car?

is there room for 2 fat guys under that car?

Better get a lift if you're gonna try and put 2 of you under there. :smilelol

Well, at least if the car falls off the jacks it'll have a squishy landing....

Good point...don't want to hurt that baby. Speaking of pointing...don't forget the pics :thumbs

are you still planning on doing this today? if so, what time and how do I get ahold of you?

Ya, I figure I'll get stated around noon. That's about my get-outa-bed time on saturday. I'm at 22nd and I-10 so you'll have to get off at Prince and drive the frontage road all the way down through town. Feel free to call me at 520-979-9889

Well, it took longer than I expected, but went well. I took no pics as I didn't want to stop to wash up to take progress pics. I was doing it myself, so pics were out. I can shoot some after pics, but you can barely see them, wouldn't be real exciting.

It now sits as the loudest car ever. Long tubes, no cats and no mufflers. I may have to break down and get some mufflers for it. Oddly though, as loud as it is, the 80 mph drone is pretty much gone now. Feels like it has more power up top, from say 3-6k rpm. Hard to say though as my ass dyno is being routed through my wallet dyno, but it does feel stronger.

I thought the kit came with O2 extensions, but they are adapters that would allow you to plug the rear sensors into the front plugs. Not sure why I got those or why you would use them, but I'll call LG tomorrow as the instructions were pretty vague on that subject.

I thought the kit came with O2 extensions, but they are adapters that would allow you to plug the rear sensors into the front plugs. Not sure why I got those or why you would use them, but I'll call LG tomorrow as the instructions were pretty vague on that subject.

That's because you're supposed to be deleting the rear O2 sensors...well moving rears to fronts and throwing the old ones out. :lol

Sheesh, and I thought you knew your stuff. :smilelol

Well, that's what I thought as well, but there are 4 bungs for the sensors, and the instructions state to use all 4. Hence the confusion.

Well, that's what I thought as well, but there are 4 bungs for the sensors, and the instructions state to use all 4. Hence the confusion.

That's if you're putting cats on...and becuase they have to...to make it look good...ya know. ;)

Good job Pops! Can't wait to hear it sometime.

How much does Nic charge to delete the o2?

Andrew

for me it was not nick but a guy at Extreme. it was around $40 i think.

Who would I ask for at Extreme if I were to do it through them?

Andrew