NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

frame off

70 canam BB

wanting to separate the body from the frame of my 70 wanting to get everything powercoated and replace all of the wearable items such as bushings and mounts. any help suggestions, help, info, tips and tricks are and will always be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Soak your nuts !!

For the real story ....

Use your favorite penetrant WD 40, Power Blaster etc to soak the mounting bolts to make them easier to come off.

PB Blaster works the best to loosen up the bolts. I pulled my body off my '69 about 2.5 years ago and completely rebuilt the chassis. I finally dropped the body back on last month and I am now getting it ready to take to the paint shop (using Joe/Classic Gold). It can be a long road. Good luck and make sure you have pleny of space to do it in.

The make a sling/strap kind of deal that you hook under the side of the birdcage and use an engine hoist to lift the body off (at least they do for c2's, I would assume you could use the same deal for C3's). Check the major Corvette parts places.

They also come up for sale, once used, on the CF from time-to-time.

Have fun!

I could let you borrow my lifting strap. You can come over and I can give you a few pointers.

My 71 body should be coming off by the end of October

that would be awsome. if u need any help id be glad to give u a hand im not in town alot but if i can be in town or am in town i would be glad to lend a hand. im tryin to learn as much about these as i can.

as soon as my offroad truck is finished the body is coming off and eveything is being cleaned painted powdercoated and or replaced. a daunting task but it will be worth it in the end. i want this car to be beautiful and extreemly evil all in one.

I have to ask, are you having a problem with rust, or a bad frame issue? If not, I would consider carefully not lifting the body, unless it is absolutely necessary. The cost is only part of the problem. You can very easily damage body parts, tweek the birdcage, and a varity of other things that can go wrong. If you are just doing it for the adventure, you might want to reconsider, IMO.

I could let you borrow my lifting strap. You can come over and I can give you a few pointers.

Cool of you to step up like that Phil :thumbs

Let us know when you plan to start this, I would like to help but it depends on when and where. I did the same job to my 66 about 4 years ago. After I finished, there is not a single rattle in the car.

I would also like to know who you plan to do the fiberglass and paint work. I still need to have that done on mine, but would like to work with them.

i will for sure thanks phil.

no i dont have any rust or frame issues and not doing it for sport i want to do it because i want everything to be clean and right theres quite a bit of bubba'ing with the wiring and such all the body and frame aren't screwed at all but im kinda perticular on how i like things and a clean frame and under carrage is how i want my car to be. so lifting the body off is the only answer. but thanks for your concern.

I don't mean to hijack but this is a very interesting Thread which I've been following and all you guys that are helping out really shows what ACE is about. Hats off to you all. :thumbs

I am done with my lift so you can borrow mine. My body is already back on the frame so no hurry in getting it back. I will help if I'm in town - I have done this myself (off and back on) so I have been there :thumbs