NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Aluminum Radiator Glycol/H20 Ratio?

Phill's Vette

Phill's Vette

Getting ready to install a new aluminum radiator in my 82; what is the best Glycol/H20 Ratio??

Also, should I still use distilled water as I would in an OEM system?

Anyone running an aluminum radiator? What ya got in it?

Thanks!

:ACE:

Getting ready to install a new aluminum radiator in my 82; what is the best Glycol/H20 Ratio??

Also, should I still use distilled water as I would in an OEM system?

Anyone running an aluminum radiator? What ya got in it?

Thanks!

50-50 with distilled water

Tap water here is full of minerals

Melissa has the OE rad in Imaginary but she runs 50/50 preston too. The MOPAR has a Be Cool alum cross flow also with a 50/50 Preston mix. Seems to do very good.

Andrew

Phill's Vette
I am running a Dewitts with Distilled Water + Water Wetter. That is it.

Phil,

I have heard of this before, what are the advantages of no glycol - just distilled water and the Water Wetter??

Does it also help with the longevity of the aluminum?

I am running a Dewitts with Distilled Water + Water Wetter. That is it.

Phil,

I have heard of this before, what are the advantages of no glycol - just distilled water and the Water Wetter??

Does it also help with the longevity of the aluminum?

I do not know if it helps with the longevity, but I believe the 50/50 of antifreeze and water is really for when you are in cold weather. In AZ we do not seem to have that problem. That is all I can share about the topic.

Good luck on what you choose to do.

Phil...

I know you don't want to run straight water. The coolant is also a lubricant/rust inhibitor. Don't know if Water Wetter takes care of that or not.

Straight water will keep you cooler from what I understand. The glycol doesn't cool as well as water does...but that's what I've heard/read.

WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations.

water-glycol 50/50 reduces freezing temp and also raises boiling temp over straight water.

(more dynamic range)

-Frank (chem 101 long ago)

water-glycol 50/50 reduces freezing temp

Get water wetter.

That's what I run as well. There's no need to reduce freezing temp that much here in AZ. Plus it dicipates heat more effectively.

Aye .. apparantly water wetter breaks the surface tension much like soap will..increasing surface area of the liquid to do that whole heat txfer thing :)

-Frank