NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Look deep,Deep DEEP into my heart

Azmotorhead

Azmotorhead

Chris Massey brought me his Screaming Yellow Zonker(70 Coupe) With a complaint of hard to shift.

Well after doing a little inspection While the trans was still installed I spotted part of the problem.

Can you spot whats wrong??

How about here Notice anything missing??

Thinking more about the look deep line, is it missing a clutch pilot bushing?

I am not a transmission expert.

Desertdawg

The transmission is missing, that could be why its hard to shift!

I've only done one clutch in my life, so I have to guess too.... is the clutch plate in backwards???

anmracing2

Here is a image of what Melissa's looks like. Will this help?????

2520655059_0afe0683ae.jpg

Compare and discuss.........

Andrew

Hmm.. all the fingers look ok, splines look a bit rough, hopin that's just dark colored grease on 'em cause if they're dry and that's rust that would make it a bear for the disc to slide on the input shaft of the tranny when you push in the clutch.

Dunno if that setup uses a pilot bushing, looks like the flywheel is flat instead of drilled for one ..but camera angle - lack of perspective may be the culprit there.

My first clutch replacement was due to the throwout bearing freezing and burning thru the clutch fingers on my '69 Road Runner, long ago ..made for an interestin drive home from the Drive-in :)

-Frank

ya dude we all suck at this game. i can see its missing that black hook looking thingie...

The problem is that the shift fork (both fingers) go inside the edge of the throwout bearing. If you look at the fingers on your picture you will see one of the fingers behind the edge. This should not be. Let me know if this does not make sense.

I am having a problem with mine not shifting into gear if I let out on the clutch while in nuetral. I changed the Pilot bearing and throwout bearing but I am not sure if the problem is resolved. It only does it when the tranny is hot. I was told it was the pilot bearing.

Azmotorhead

DING DING DING we have a couple of winners

! evil got the pilot bushing missing

and a66bbvet got the clutch fork/throwout bearing.

Beers on me guys stop by to claim your prize :)

not shifting into gear if I let out on the clutch while in nuetral.

I'm confused

Bring it by in a week and we'll have a look

I am having a problem with mine not shifting into gear if I let out on the clutch while in nuetral. I changed the Pilot bearing and throwout bearing but I am not sure if the problem is resolved. It only does it when the tranny is hot. I was told it was the pilot bearing.

The first thing I would do is check the bellhousing alignment. I ran into this when I switched from a pilot bushing to a pilot bearing during a clutch swap - my guess is the bearing had closer tolerances than the old bushing. The hotter the car got, the harder it was to get it into gear. What's happening is the misalignment causes the transmission input shaft to spin even though the clutch is disengaged. Here's a good article describing the whole thing:

http://www.camaros.org/bellhousings.shtml

You can pick up a dial indicator and magnetic base at Harbor Freight for not much money or I'd loan you mine.

I just read your profile - a '66 with a Big Block! Heck, I'd help you do it!