Collectible car exemption from emissions test

3,503 lbs of trouble

3,503 lbs of trouble

Here's an update I received from the British Motor Enthusiasts:

To: Undisclosed-Recipient@,

Subject: Latest on Emmissions Exemption.

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:55:32 -0700

Thanks to Bill Stewart for sending me this to pass along.

Shirley,

British Motor Enthusiasts Communications

Here is a link to all the latest on the vehicle emissions testing exemption,

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/index.html

scroll down the page for details and a link to the latest time line for Arizona to get the request to EPA.

In short, as presented to the Arizona Automobile Hobbyist Council at last night's meeting, by a Mr. Domski of the Arizona DEQ:

The proposal for exempting "collector cars and motorcycles in the Tucson area" is still alive and being pursued by the Arizona DEQ. Because Arizona eliminated the sniffer trucks, even though they were ineffective, which were a part of our EPA approved implementation plan (SIP), the State was sued and lost and now has to be more careful and precise with the procedures for making future changes. The timeline for announcing, submitting, have meetings, etc. is detailed in the link above. - In short, Arizona DEQ is optimistic about EPA approval, but the soonest we could hope to see the plan implemented in Arizona will be January of 2007- you will have to have your Collector Car inspected at least once more!

uhhhh -- what happened to Phoenix? Did we get f 'ed again ???

EDIT: I guess that can be read two ways:

Collector cars and motorcycles in Tucson. Meaning collector cars (all, everywhere in Arizona) AND motorcycles in the Tucson area will be exempt.

Or

Collector cars and motorcycles in Tucson -- meaning only collector cars and motorcycles in the Tucson area will be exempt. Only those in Tucson.

I thought that was passed into law around April. Maybe I?m wrong but here is the info I put on our website about Emissions testing. That should cover the whole state because I thought Phoenix and Tucson were the only two cities that have emissions testing in the state.

Andrew

A bill (H.B. 2357) to exempt qualified collectible vehicles 15 years old and older from the state?s mandatory emissions inspection and maintenance program has been signed into law by Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano. Under the new law, qualifying vehicles would have to maintain appropriate collectible or classic automobile insurance to retain these benefits.

The new law:

Defines collectible vehicles as 15 years old or older, OR of unique or rare design, of limited production and an object of curiosity and maintained primarily for car club activities, exhibitions, parades, etc. and is used infrequently for other purposes.

Provides for a rolling 15-year emissions inspection exemption that would exempt qualifying vehicles upon enactment and would pick up an additional model year for each year the law is in effect.

Provides for an emissions inspection exemption for collectible vehicles for which the owner holds appropriate insurance coverage.

Acknowledges the relatively minimal environmental impact of older vehicles, such as the older vehicles targeted for this exemption.

Recognizes that such vehicles constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are well-maintained and infrequently operated.

Well, the AZ house passed that bill, but it's the E.P.A. that get's final say whether or not it's a legal and active bill. We are still waiting on the EPA. Until then everything from 1967 and newer gets tested.