NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Paging Papa Smurf....

Big Poppa

So, how'd you do? I looked around a bit for your car sat night but didn't see it. Sports cars everywhere that night!!! I saw a nother C6 Z06 pass me Sun afternoon towards San Antonio, and had numbers on it. Had to be from yer crowd....

After 118 miles of running the Big Bend Open Road Race, I ended 2.056 seconds off the perfect time of 64 mins 10.9 seconds for my class (110 mph avg). There were 31 cars in my class (the most competitive one because it's the fastest class you can run without 6 pt harnesses, etc...) and my time was only good for 8th place. It was a lot of fun! Saturday night I was at the awards banquet from 7-10 at the convention center. There were a total of 152 cars in the race with almost half of them Vettes. One guy brought a Porsche Carrera GT from Oregon (about a half million $ car). It was cool. Two guys brought out the old 64 Lincoln that was on Monster Garage turned into a race car. The fastest time was a 99 Grand Prix former Nascar M&M car - - it averaged 165.982 mph. The 1965 Corvair that had the fastest time at the last road race went thru a timing trap at 204.7 (can you imagine a Corvair at that speed - Ralph Nader is rolling in his grave) while averaging 162 on the first leg, but then broke on the return leg Saturday. The website for this is www.bborr.com if anyone wants to check it out. I don't think the results and pics are posted yet for this race but you can see last years pics and results.

For those who love speed, it's a blast.

Malcolm

Good job Malcolm! Glad it was a safe trip.

Thanks. It was a safe race and trip but not without a near miss. The biggest problem with this racing at this venue is buzzards. There's a lot of road kill and the buzzards are on the road early in the morning. A Ford Lightning caught a buzzard at 155mph last year in Road Runner race. The day before the race this time I was on a practice run (at posted 75 speed) and came upon 4 buzzards in the road. They took off heading off to my right. As I got near them one turned left into the same direction I was heading. I went right under him barely - - he didn't clear me by more than a foot or two. It was a sight going under a bird that had a wingspan almost as wide as the car.

Malcolm

Now there are some still photos up - - check out the Carrera GT and the 64 Lincoln built on Monster Garage. You can see my blue Z in one of the parade pictures in town (car 154). I'm sure in the next week, there will be a lot more pics and videos on the site.

The Lone Star Corvette Club out of Dallas had about 20 Vettes in the race. It would be cool if we could get some ACE cars in the race next year!! It's a real kick to do this!!

http://www.bborr.com/2008/scottycards.html

Papa Smurf

Way to go Malcolm!!! I'd love to do one of these with you. I know I said next time last time, but I'm gonna say it again this time....