NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Headers and long pipes, where & what?

1jester

I'm looking at putting headers and long pipes on my C5 Vert. I'll keep the QTP cut-outs on the mufflers in the back, and don't need emissions testing as car is registered in Gila County, but don't want to have DIC codes popping up all the time, what would some of you gear-head people recommend? thanks for your input.

You mean long tube headers?

Most here have gone LG, and why not...great customer support. I've heard good things about Kooks and American Racing, and I personally went "el cheapo" with the Dynatechs with no headaches. I did have an O2 sensor crap out about a year after install, no biggie. You can also just have the rear O2 sensors 'deleted' with a tune.

The question seems to be x-pipe or no x-pipe. I think Ken told me that these cars sound way better without the x-pipe, but I could be mistaken. It happens. :burnout2

Well there you go.

I can't find the thread, but I remember a discussion about trying to get the "sound" just right, and not worrying about the few ponies it might cost thru exhaust scavenging, blah, blah....and since I had already purchased my system with x-pipe I was a little bummed. Could be dain bramage tho....

Oh...almost forgot. While you're slapping on headers, might as well install a tunnel plate while you're under there. Helps immensely with chassis stiffness and "insulates" the cabin a little from your new headers that are nice and hot right by your right leg. :partyspin:

The x-pipe will quiet the system a bit, but really smoothes out the sound. Doesn't sound like a motorboat with the x-pipe in place.

Well there you go.

I can't find the thread, but I remember a discussion about trying to get the "sound" just right, and not worrying about the few ponies it might cost thru exhaust scavenging, blah, blah....and since I had already purchased my system with x-pipe I was a little bummed. Could be dain bramage tho....

Oh...almost forgot. While you're slapping on headers, might as well install a tunnel plate while you're under there. Helps immensely with chassis stiffness and "insulates" the cabin a little from your new headers that are nice and hot right by your right leg. :partyspin:

what shop in the Phoenix area would you recommend? do they have the tunnel plates or do I have to order one? With a convertible I'll get a little noise anyway insode the cabin, but don't like the idea of heat on the leg. my center console gets hot now when I reach in for my IPOD.

A lot of our folks have been going to Xtreme Motorsports lately.

From what I've been seeing they can handle anything that comes up or goes into our cars.

Xtreme Motorsports

Jason L. is one of the guys (480) 517-4969

Yep he is, I am going back next week for my Corsa cat back install

Hell, something like that I'd do in my own garage...but then again, I did my whole exhaust system in my garage. :lol

Yep he is, I am going back next week for my Corsa cat back install

Hell, something like that I'd do in my own garage...but then again, I did my whole exhaust system in my garage. :lol

Your right, I certainly have the shop and all of the tools for it. I just don't have time right now...

The shop is cool though. AC. TV, Sterio, Beer and more beer, bikes, dogs, its all good.

Just a little short on time