NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Cam choices and such

Grayeagle

Ok . .been researchin LS-1 cams and combining that with my personal preference (too big is ..well .. too big :)

In the old days ..I tried to cram as much lift into a 300 duration cam as I could find.

however .. that was for big block with headers, 1600 cfm of Holly magic feedin it,

..hi-stall converter, gears, in a car that was lighter than the Vette to boot.

So .. here's my train of thought and what I would like to see for performance in the Vette:

1700rpm to 2000rpm bottom end to rev limiter for top end operating range is what I am shootin for.

..I'd really like to 'kill' some of the bottom end torque to help her hook off the line, then have the cam 'come on' just under 2k rpm and pull hard to the rev limit (~6rpm or so) (ie" bend yer teeth back" when it hits second)

I'd like a 114 Lobe Seperation Angle for a little more pronounced 'lope' before cam comes alive, just because it sounds so good.

It also helps reduce torque off idle.

(112 LSA reduces the lope a bit, gives a little more torque avail off idle)

It looks like Thunder Racing has me covered:

Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft

"TR 224-114" - 224/224 .563/.563 114 LSA 1700-6600 RPM Power Band.

Excellent mid-range & high RPM power.

Requires computer tuning on automatic transmission cars.

Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended.

'killing' torque is relative .. the cam will produce more torque than the stock cam from idle all the way up, it just wont 'come alive' till 1700 or so rpm.

Kit will be required of course .. valve springs, retainers, and hardened pushrods.

This is next on my 'to do' list :)

-Frank (may take awhile ..gonna need a nic tune for sure after install, and Xtreme will get the tag for install :)

A 112 will produce MORE lope than a 114.

You're right. I got it backwards :D . . I really should read earlier in the day instead of late nites!

As the Lobe Seperation Angle is reduced, it produces more overlap.. so looks like what I need is the 112 LSA version.

Listenin to the clips .. oooo ....aaaa .. nice sounds :)

-Frank

Guest Sidewinder
A 112 will produce MORE lope than a 114.

You're right. I got it backwards :D . . I really should read earlier in the day instead of late nites!

As the Lobe Seperation Angle is reduced, it produces more overlap.. so looks like what I need is the 112 LSA version.

Listenin to the clips .. oooo ....aaaa .. nice sounds :)

-Frank

That 112 may not like your stock convertor or those 3.15 gears ya got.

Dang it Mark, quit leading him on one post at a time.

Just tell him what he wants.... :bolt:

He wants the 112 and a new converter! oh wait thats me, well Frank wants it too yanno!

Guest Sidewinder
Dang it Mark, quit leading him on one post at a time.

Just tell him what he wants.... :bolt:

:smilelol:smilelol

All a guy has to do is ask

-grin-

*wink*

I am a big fan of the TR224 cam on a 114 lsa for an auto if you decide to go that route. You could also go with a custom cam that's around those specs as well. Be aware though you will want/need an aftermarket converter for the higher idle that will be required with a cam like that. It's doable on a stock converter but the idle RPM will be pulled down pretty hard by the stock converter and the car will want to jump when you let off the brakes.

not to hijack this thread but what would a guy like me with a stock ls1 need if i wanted a nice lope? how much cashola will i be looking at?

Guest Sidewinder
not to hijack this thread but what would a guy like me with a stock ls1 need if i wanted a nice lope? how much cashola will i be looking at?

I wouldn't do just a cam. You need headers, exhaust and while your in there do a timing chain and oil pump. 2G's approx. Drop Jason at xtreme a PM.

I wouldn't do just a cam. You need headers, exhaust and while your in there do a timing chain and oil pump. 2G's approx. Drop Jason at xtreme a PM.

Or, you can just pull a plug wire, and hell, I'll do that for free!!!! :banannadance:

I know the 114 LSA would 'tone it down' a bit as far as idle.

Not interested.

If I wanted to 'tone it down' I'd drive a Honda Civic.

Eventually the car will see converter, gears, heads ..the cam will be fine till then

-evil grin-

-Frank