NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C3 gauge bezel replacement

Dave F

Hey, I'm trying to replace the gauge and console bezels on my 79, I have the right parts, I just cant get the gauge cluster out...that is with out tearing everything up. Anyone know how to get the old one out? Thanks..

The center gauge cluster, it is hanging up on the sides at the lower portion.

You have to remove the two side panels that run beside the seats and cover between the center console and the carpet. Those are both held on with 2 screws. 1 is beside the seat belt buckle and the other is up by where you leg would be.

Once these panels have been removed you have 2 screws that hold the upper center console to the lower center console. They are right by the edge where the two meet, one on each side. You have to basically undo them upside down. The go hold those two black plastic consoles together.

Let me know if you need more specific info. Saturday I will be home and can take some pictures and point them out.

Thanks Brian, I will hopefully get to it in the next few days...had a little accident on tuesday, a piece of plywood flew out of the back of a truck, blew up right in front of me, hit the front of my vette, across the hood, and into the windshield jamming 2 inch long chunks of wood in to the molding on top of the windshield...scared me because I had the t-tops off and it almost scalped me :mad

if that were me, I would have to replace the drivers seat along with the hood and windshield.

after something like that the seat wouldn't be fit for sitting in any more.

3,503 lbs of trouble
Thanks Brian, I will hopefully get to it in the next few days...had a little accident on tuesday, a piece of plywood flew out of the back of a truck, blew up right in front of me, hit the front of my vette, across the hood, and into the windshield jamming 2 inch long chunks of wood in to the molding on top of the windshield...scared me because I had the t-tops off and it almost scalped me :mad

Glad to hear you're okay! Damn, hope you got the plate number, but probably not.

I sincerely hope that wood didn't damage your upper windshield molding because if so you are going to have a hell of a time replacing it.

How similar are they overall dimension wise?

Dave, if you're not doing anything with the old one, let me know!

They are pretty darn close, but there are differences that I think make interchange impossible.

Sorry for the lae reply....it only slightly bent the windhield molding, but I'm sure the next time I get caught in the rain I'll know how it faired....

Don, it's yours, but mine has the clock on the bottom left, not sure of your year, let me know, I've got a few other parts, too.

Thanks for all the help brian, look forward to seeing you Sat.

Don, It'll still be in my car, as I don't think I'll get a chance to change it out before Saturday...we can still see if it will work, though.

Don, if you want the bezels, and they fit, I'll get it done right away. But if it doesn't work for you, I'm going to wait until this winter when I restore my entire interior(carpet, seat belts, seats, door panels, dash, and bezels). See you Saturday!

Dave, no problemo or rush on it. Let me know if I can help (if you've never pulled the center console, it can be abit hairy the first time...)