NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Out of Surgery

Desertdawg

I spent my birthday at Extreme Motorsports getting some work done. :partygrnhat:

I was plagued with the leaky rear symptom, so while it's all torn apart why not upgrade a little..... :rockon2:

Sean here is what it takes to get to the torque converter. I wouldn't recommend it for a weekend project laying on the floor without some divine intervention.

Leaking at the half shafts, and leaky tranny. Ewwww it's all gooey!!!!

Xtreme71.jpg

Pulling apart the ball joints and pulling out the half shafts.

Xtreme72.jpg

20 or so bolts and a few other doo dads later the K member is out.

Xtreme73.jpg

Yeah it's gooey on both sides. :huh

Xtreme74.jpg

More goo on the rear end and the tranny. remove about another half dozen bolts.

Xtreme75.jpg

Getting everything all propped up so that nothing falls out and scratches the floor.

Xtreme76.jpg

The whole kit and kaboodle getting lowered so it can be slid out. Goo everywhere, ICK!!! :eek

Xtreme77.jpg

Taa Daa! the rear, tranny and torque tube is out.

Xtreme78.jpg

Look! Right here... A Clean spot!!!! :toetap

Xtreme79.jpg

The tunnel of love, the tunnel of terror. Whatever you call it I feel so violated.

(BTW that's what the back side of the "Heart Beat of America" looks like.)

Xtreme80.jpg

The patient is strapped down and ready for surgery.

Xtreme81.jpg

Remove the torque tube to....

Xtreme82.jpg

get at the torque converter... Duh! what did you think was in there? :smilelol

Xtreme83.jpg

Half shaft housing removed from the rear end to replace the seals... Oh there was vital fluids everywhere!!!!

Xtreme84.jpg

Interlude......

We now return you to your program already in progress.

With the new higher stall torque converter installed,

The new half shaft seals replaced.

Everything bolted back together.

And CLEANED! :eek

Xtreme85.jpg

Re-installing the previously un-installed part.

(Uh! where did this part go???)

Xtreme86.jpg

Tranny pan dropped for a new gasket and tranny filter.

(Hey Buford, were gonna need the big hammer!) :bang

Xtreme87.jpg

Tighten a couple of bolts, snap a few doohickeys together and I think were getting somewhere.

Xtreme88.jpg

Yeah it's now clean, no I didn't get a picture of it getting cleaned.

They scraped, scrubbed and sprayed it. what more needs to be said.

Xtreme89.jpg

(All together now) Wooooo!!! Shiny new parts! :willy

Xtreme90.jpg

Out with the old cats.

Xtreme91.jpg

In with the new! (I think there was at least a 10 pound weight difference)

Xtreme93.jpg

AND! Install Chad's old Z51 sway bars with metal end links. Thanks for the sway Chad! :crazy

Xtreme92.jpg

So what you don't see is that I was there when they opened the doors on Monday morning, they worked on it until 6 pm. Thats an hour past closing.

We were so close, but alas the dreaded gremlin got us. one little part and of course by then all the parts houses had closed. :ken:

Darrel tried to find me a rental so I could get home but I stole my daughters truck instead.

We went back today and picked it up. :banannarainbow:

No it's not really louder, Jammye was happy about that. But there is a difference in the sound. :thumbs

Yeah the stall works. at about 2200 to 2300 rpm the rears start to rotate even with the brake pedal stomped. So the difference is right about 500 to 600 rpm. I'm hoping for at least 3 tenths at the track for $250.00 :burnout2

Sway bars and tunnel plate. Going down a rough road the vette felt good, but now it doesn't have the little sort of swishy feel from front to back when going over the uneven surface's. I won't say stiff or rough, just more planted and solid.

I want to thank Ed for your assistance in finding the torque converter, and bringing it on the Gila Bend Cruise.

(and Coulter Cadillac for the great price)

Chad thanks for the sway bars.

AND a BIG THANKS to the crew at Extreme for taking care of my vette.

But mostly for putting up with me the whole time.....

Now I'm broke again. :willy

Guest Sidewinder

Yup, that's what it looks like with a couple of bolts undone :lol

At least you were smart and upgraded when parts were out. Now you need a tranny cooler.

very cool! im interested to hear that x pipe. how does it sound? please describe in detail :burnout2

:rockon2: Very cool Dawg, welcome to the broke-ass club. What stall speed is the converter?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at your elapsed times with the new mod, I know I was... :burnout2

Congrats on the B-Day present. Great pics. As someone who hasn't been under a newer vette it was very interesting to see the different technology.

Very nice. I was wondering what it took to get that thing out of there as well. I don't have a lift or anything so it's nice to see what it all takes. Have fun with the mods.

Robert and Elizabeth

Very nice presentation Dawg. There was certainly lots of "goo" in the before pictures.

E~

Very nice. I was wondering what it took to get that thing out of there as well. I don't have a lift or anything so it's nice to see what it all takes. Have fun with the mods.

It's time consuming, but really not that bad. I did my clutch laying under the car on jack stands in my garage.

It's time consuming, but really not that bad. I did my clutch laying under the car on jack stands in my garage.

you replaced your torque converter? :P

I installed a non converting manual actuated torque modulating transmission/engine de-coupler.

I installed a non converting manual actuated torque modulating transmission/engine de-coupler.

oh yeah i know what your talking about, that mounts to the left wing harness strap bolt on the flux capacitors connuter valve... right?

Well, almost.... That was the correct setup on the C4. On the C5, the connuter valve has been integrated into the fozzups cluster above the BCM. Todays Flux Capacitors are far smaller as well allowing it to be installed in line with the Bosatter filter. So the wing harness now only has pressure clips instaed of the strap bolt, but it houses the line union making it impossible to access, so it's best just to replace it as one unit.

very cool! im interested to hear that x pipe. how does it sound? please describe in detail :burnout2

I already had the X pipe, it was part of the whole Magnaflow setup. I had some hi-flow cats installed this time.

What stall speed is the converter?

I don't know for sure, but the stock unit is something like a 1500 to 1700 stall, this new converter is out of a chev truck, not sure which model but I have the part number. It's rated at something like 2200 or 2300 rpm. I can say I feel the difference on the street.

I had to stay very streetable for Jammye. So that ruled out the 3200 models.

Before I would say it was very jumpy, on the street you would touch the go pedal when the light turned green and it would almost lurch ahead. Now when you touch the go pedal it doesn't lurch, it moves ahead pretty smoothly because you now need to get a few more rpms before it engages.

If you get on it, it engages and pulls pretty hard.... :burnout2

Id'a had you do gears as well, long as it's out, but.... Glad you like it so far!!

I think he has a 3.42 in there from somewhere. Nice step from the old 2.73, ...mine has the 3.15.

Dawg, I shoulda had you and Jammye drive mine with the 3200, it's totally fine for daily driving, I don't even notice it now and Melissa is actually glad that it goes now when she punches it... :burnout2

Yeah I put in 3.42 gears last year, a step up from the 2.73's that were stock...

Dean,

This TC kept me close to my budget, it was only $250 new from GM. I priced a couple of aftermarket TC's and almost fell off of my chair...

I know I could have gone with more stall, but I'm happy with were this one put me.

Now to start drooling over my next mod... starts with a C, ends with an M, and has an A in the middle.... :rockon2:

plus I'm going to have to get rid of the factory tune sooner or later!

Robert and Elizabeth

Ohhhhhh, did you say CAM???????? Oh Dawg, you bad boy! How are you going to explain this one to Jammye?

Ohhhhhh, did you say CAM???????? Oh Dawg, you bad boy! How are you going to explain this one to Jammye?

the unbelievably amazing sound that comes from a vette with a nice cam sells itself. :black vette::wub