Looks like the 70s all over again

Loud Pedal

Zoiks

I wish I could mothball some of the latest muscle and pony cars coming out. Will be quite the rare item someday I suspect. 'Course most of us will probably be worm food by the time that day comes.

I think demand will keep the muscle car alive IMHO.

Demand won't matter if the Fed's won't sell you a plate.

Zoiks

I wish I could mothball some of the latest muscle and pony cars coming out. Will be quite the rare item someday I suspect. 'Course most of us will probably be worm food by the time that day comes.

Bah, I think it is all hype and the reporters that write the stories probably drive SUV's. If you wanted to raise domestic mpg instantly to 30 mpg, just cut production size of heavy trucks in half and presto. We are already at 30 mpg probably. Then, there are probably going to still be the loopholes left open for 'work trucks' like all the H2's you see running around town. If it is over 6k lbs and used for business purposes, it is (or at least was) not counted and you actually got a pretty hefty tax break when you bought it.

I think it is a step in the right direction anyway as the technology is there to make it happen AND keep most if not all of the HP numbers that performance enthusiasts want. Let's use the beloved corvette for example. Before adding some go fast parts, I was getting 22-23 mpg (overall) with a 400 hp motor. Add something like Honda's variable valve timing and you get something heavier and more complex but you also get better mpg.

Technology is an amazing thing there just sometimes needs to be an incentive for it to evolve. That is what will happen here and I think when it does you will see less big family trucksters and the same number of sports cars. Plus, I already got my so why worry about the sky falling, :banannarainbow:

I feel the US is one " Oil Embargo" away from spurring the Electric Car reveloution.

The tech and science are there. Only the infrastructior and demand is missing.

my 2 cts

Guest Sidewinder

The mid-east can supply the U.S. with 5 to 10 TIMES more petroleum a day but our refineries can't handle it.

Dave is right though, no plate no drive...

They single out Vettes in that article, but Vettes aren't even the culprit here. On the way home from Laughlin (mostly alone), I got almost 30 mpg. How is it that the Vette is being singled out.

Now that is hypocrocy IMO.

I feel the US is one " Oil Embargo" away from spurring the Electric Car reveloution.

my 2 cts

Oh, and a place for millions of spent batteries... :lol

my 2 cts

Oh, and a place for millions of spent batteries... :lol

ok true...

after so many Charge/discharge cycles they are not up to snuff.

loot at this

http://www.nanitenews.com/Research/Nanowir...isting_ones.asp

it uses nanotubes to align the fibers in a neat pattern (instead of jumbled together) that is more efficent and can hold more power for the same voulme by a factor of 10.

so the car batterys could last 30 years instead of 3 years.

Im just saying that the USA gets a good "scare" (real or imagined) and teh electric car revelitoun will explode.

..now where is my spell checker.