Double Din stereo in a 86?

Kameron

Anyone know if and what mods must happen to get a double din sereo in a C4? Is it possible? Does it look ok? It is hard to find 1.5 Din Stereos.

Thanks

I stuffed a double Din in my C5, just took some cutting. I assume that you could do the same in your C4, you just have to be willing to cut, modify and create. Find the user here with the name Blakmajik (it's something like that) as he has a C4 with extensive stereo mods, maybe he can help...

If you haven't already figured out, you're main problem will be that the ac controls and the display switches are almost as big as the trim that covers them. If you were looking to go full double din size it is near impossible to do without totally ditching something to get it out of the way. If you're looking to do something that has a screen (navigation, video) a fold out is the more likely solution. Otherwise din or din and a half are the other options.

Here is an example of what I did with mine before the rebuild.

P1010036.jpg

::Disclaimer:: this explanation applies to 84-90 year model, the other dash design I would have to see if this was still true.

If you haven't already figured out, you're main problem will be that the ac controls and the display switches are almost as big as the trim that covers them. If you were looking to go full double din size it is near impossible to do without totally ditching something to get it out of the way. If you're looking to do something that has a screen (navigation, video) a fold out is the more likely solution. Otherwise din or din and a half are the other options.

Here is an example of what I did with mine before the rebuild.

P1010036.jpg

::Disclaimer:: this explanation applies to 84-90 year model, the other dash design I would have to see if this was still true.

Actually the 84-89s C4s are the 1.5 DIN size only and the 90-96 C4s are the Double DIN size. MY90 was the departature point for the Atari Dash flat panel style. GC

Thanks for the info. I figured it would be a pain to put a double din in, so I am going to scratch that idea. For a 1.5 din, it looks like I only have a couple of choices for a unit, so I am going to look at a single din. :rolleyes