Wanted: Hi-flow catalytic converters

Big Poppa

Looking to buy a pair of hgh flow cats. I will be installing a set of Texas Speed long tubes, and will need to install some hi-flows. I have and will continue to use my factory mid-pipe. I will have a local shop fab the headers to the mid-pipe, and would like to install the cats at that time.

Anyone have some for sale? New or used in decent condition, I'm like everyone else looking to do this as inexpensively as I can. If I get no response here, I'll ook to local hot rod shops, but I'd rather buy from family...

Why? Just go cat-less. You can have the rear O2s programmed out and you will pass emission just fine unless they crawl under and look. If they do, just get them then. :lol But those guys don't get paid enough or are small enough to crawl under our cars. :lol

And my car is a bit lower than the average car as well... I've thought of that, just leaving them off, but I have reservations. First, with no mufflers, it may eliminate too much back pressure, though I'm staying with the factory mid-pipe for that reason. Plus, if I can keep it legit legal for like $150 (judging from fleabay prices), it may be worth avoiding the possible hassle down the road.

My frst instinct is to run with no cats and if I don't like it, add them later. But... I'm a cheap ass, and don't want to pay for the welding twice...

I'm not sared of the noise (hence no mufflers), and I've read that they stink with no cats, but it stinks as is. Really only smell it once or twice a day... and only with the top down.

Y'all wanna chime in? Opinions are good, but experience is great.

My car passes emissions with no cats without any issues....find a good shop and take them off...

A set of new RandomTechs will cost you about 300 I think....I looked on Xtremes site and didnt find them... Maybe Jason can jump in here and lend some widsom.

G

Personally I like that cat-less smell. :lol I did not have mine welded in...yet...only clamped. So if need be, I remove a couple clamps, slip in hi-flows and I'm on my way. :thumbs

I have no cats on my Texas Speed long tubes headers. I paid the few bucks more to have there x pipe "off road pipe".

granted I have FLow master mufflers.

BTW my mufflers cost me a total of 310 for parts and install. You dont have to pay the corvette tax.

This is the ones I just ordered, UPS should deliver them today.

flEbay Link

To bad I didn't know you wanted some, we could have saved a couple of bucks on shipping.

I've passed twice without cats. Kind of funny when fuel is coming out the tail pipes and it passes with flying colors.

This is the ones I just ordered, UPS should deliver them today.

flEbay Link

To bad I didn't know you wanted some, we could have saved a couple of bucks on shipping.

Ya, those are the same ones I have been looking at. I haven't checked any local shops yet, butg those look like what I'm goin for.

When I have it all welded up, I am going to put bolt-up flanges in to keep the mid-pipe removable. That's one reason that I kinda wanna get this straight before doing the install as I'm sure that if I switch to cats later on, I'll have to move the flanges downstream to make room for the cats. Maybe we just extend the collectors the smae length as a set of cats to accomodate for that.

I'm leaning towards no cats, as I always tend to lean towards the extreme with my cars, and hey, it's cheaper that way. Also a known trait of mine.....

Cahd... I rather like the way my car sounds with no mufflers. The x-pipe made all the difference in the world, so I appreciate the heads up, but I assume I will continue on mufflerless. f I gotta do mufflers, I will do a bit of research to find ones I like as I very much prefer the high pitch scream that it has now, sounds more exotic. The low rumble of flowmasters, Borla etc just doesn't suit this car IMHO. I've always loved Flowdisasters, just not on this one.

I appreciate the input everyone... Feel free to keep it comin.

I actually prefer the low deep rumble, to me it sounds mean. I have the magnaflow system on mine and if you stand behind it while it's idling, it sort of overtakes your ear drums with the rumble.

When we had the 82 i went with Borla's, they were really mild but had that deep rumble that I crave...

I decided to stay with cats because I didn't want the chance the gas smell, and since I will never go forced induction the HP difference with or without is only 1 or 2 HP. And for 100 bucks it wasn't that expensive...

BTW, you do realize your in second place for being a cheapskate around here.

Well, I'm trying to do what I can to take top cheapskate honors. The fight is long, but I have strong resolve. BTW, I'm also after the fastest fat guy in a vert title... Not sure if you still own that one, but whoever's got it, WATCH OUT!!!!!! :burnout

fat-ass.jpg

"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me???" - Travis Bickle :rockon2:

Mine should be "wrapped up" in a couple of months, or sooner if the IRS has mercy...but I'm down. :3gears:

:devilIf Bob's "Red-Baron" 'vert doesn't munch the tranny and if CaHd doesn't toast another clutch by then we should all have some good racing!

I would go without the cats, BTW. You'll pass anyways.

Phill's Vette

What about gutting the stock cat(s)?? So it looks stock and the Air Quality Nazi's will never notice. This is what I did before removing them altogether and I love the cat-less sound with Flowmasters 40's and headers!

I bought a pair of 2.5" highflow bullet cats from ebay, one with an O2 sensor bung; they look just like those in the link Dawg provided, but a different name/seller. I will post the name later when I am at home. Anyway, I might sell them since I probably will not be using them, I paid like $120 shipped and would probably want $80 for both - new never used - IF I sell them. I will post more info on them this weekend if you are interested and they are the size you need.

What about gutting the stock cat(s)?? So it looks stock and the Air Quality Nazi's will never notice. This is what I did before removing them altogether and I love the cat-less sound with Flowmasters 40's and headers!

I bought a pair of 2.5" highflow bullet cats from ebay, one with an O2 sensor bung; they look just like those in the link Dawg provided, but a different name/seller. I will post the name later when I am at home. Anyway, I might sell them since I probably will not be using them, I paid like $120 shipped and would probably want $80 for both - new never used - IF I sell them. I will post more info on them this weekend if you are interested and they are the size you need.

Ya, let me know what you decide on that. I think that if I decide to go catless, I will buy the mid-pipe from Texas Speed as well to make it all bolt on. I assume it will be tough to get a shop to weld it all up with no cats.

MotV8 (Dean) is the current holder of the "Fastest Fat Guy in a Vert" title. It would be fun watching you pry it from his trembling hands.... :lol

I hollowed out the cat on my 82 and it worked just fine. I'm not sure if it would affect the sound on the C5 any though, there's always the rumors about getting the tinny metalic sound from hollow cats....

Given their position in the tubing, I don't think hollowing them out would even be a possibility within reason. And then you still have the problem of them being in the wrong place.... I'm thinkin no cats, but if Phil has some on da cheap....

Once Nic tunes the car so it's not running 15 to 1 anymore, I'd love to have at the track and see what Dean and I can make of ourselves... I have all the confidence as I have a hood seal....

I almost ordered the 2.5 inch cats but the 3's were the same price so I said what the hell...

I will have enough goodies on it after the 18th that I'm going to be afraid to stomp it with out getting it tuned...

I have all the confidence as I have a hood seal....

:willySheit. I better get this bottle hooked up. :devil

Hey Chris, I'm sure you've researched this to your hearts content, but here's a couple threads on CF, and in the first one a dude says going catless was worth 2/10th's! :burnout2

Get rid of cats?

Who's running catless?

I almost ordered the 2.5 inch cats but the 3's were the same price so I said what the hell...

I will have enough goodies on it after the 18th that I'm going to be afraid to stomp it with out getting it tuned...

Really??? Do tell. :toetap:lol