ls1 is here! wee!

_Al

got the ls1 for my c3 swap today.... you can see the damage, where the catalytic converter was pushed down into the oil pan, cracked the oil pan open...ouch. now i just need to get it out of the subframe and get the pan pulled...would be great if i could just get the oil pan welded, but won't know till i get it out. had 180k miles on it so i should probably look into getting it refreshed...?

post-502-1201289539.jpg

post-502-1201289549.jpg

Looks like you got yerself a little work to do. :bang Hope this project is a smooth one, and can't wait to see the finished product!

well it took me...a year? to figure out what i actually wanted to do... in that time i built a carbed 350...decided i didn't want that, got an lt1...decided against it, and ALMOST picked up a 454...then i found the ls1 finally, and well...obviously that one made me happy. getting it put in won't be an issue but, i'm a bit concerned with the wiring.... see, i'm a cheap ass....and i like to do stuff myself, so paying 450$ for someone to modify my harness to standalone, probably won't be happening. my only other concern is the driveshaft...mainly length and spline compared to the 4l60e... other than those 2 items, it shouldn't be bad, mounting it in the vehicle, and the fuel system are both pretty easy.

I've got the wiring diagrams for the LS1. They're part of another manual I have in .pdf format. Let me know if you need it.

got the a/c compressor and alternator pulled, and the motor mount bolts out, now i just need to muscle the whole unit over to the concrete sidewalk and pull it out, then i can see where i'm at with the oil pan. anyone here experienced with/and have a tig welder?

That will be a sweet combination!

What are you going to do with the C5 front end parts? If you have, and want to sell, the brakes, I would be interested.

Kelly

one article on the c3 ls1 swap, he also used the front brake rotors and calipers so i was going to check into that, and if i was to lazy to do it, i planned on tossing them on ebay. i'll let you know what happens. whole subframe assembly is going to be sold off.... but this isn't from a vette, it's from a trans am.

This website might be able to help you out with conversion parts.

PJ might want to look at this too. I saw clutch peddle conversions too.

Andrew

Guest Sidewinder

Good luck on the swap!! Should be cool.

Yeh, you can tell by the throttle body it came from an F-body.

You should consider a mild cam swap while you have such great access to the front of the motor.

for some reason...i've never done a cam swap on a v-8...done plenty on ohc motors... any big difference?

anything i should know about the ls1 prior to swapping it, due to the 180k miles? common things happen with high miles? should i bother with the hassle of pulling the intake/heads and replacing the gaskets or should they be ok

just asking because as you said, i have great access to the motor now... once it's in the 81 i won't have much interest in doing a valve job or headgaskets!

I would say do an overhaul so that all the gaskets are new while it is out of the car. The bottom end should be fine. Then while your doing the head gaskets you can inspect the pistons and make sure the cylinders are fine.

Just my .02….

Andrew

I would say do an overhaul so that all the gaskets are new while it is out of the car. The bottom end should be fine. Then while your doing the head gaskets you can inspect the pistons and make sure the cylinders are fine.

Just my .02….

Andrew

Yup, you won't have easy access to the motor like this again unless you want to go through the trouble of pulling it out.