Lowering my Vette

jagoff

This is a continuation from my welcome thread about lowering my vette and not wanting to screw up the magnetic selective ride control on my car, thought id move the conversation to here...

""QUOTE (Big Poppa @ Jan 22 2008, 08:11 AM)"Well, we can do some research on it, but I HIGHLY doubt it would. The lowering process is a factory adjustment, all you do is turn a couple bolts, and I assume that the selective ride is adjusted by a variety of sensors that have to do with steering angle, throttle position, and rate of suspension jounce, as well as yaw, pitch and roll. I have to assume you'd be fine, butu if it's something you're concerned with, lets see what we can find out. If you like the stance just the way it is, and don't want to mess with it, that's cool as well."

heres what i said

right on. sounds good ill see what i can do... the car is on warranty, so i dont want to void that either. i do love the way they look lowered, but i dont want to go as low as you or tony. I had a mustang that low, and it was nice, but i like being able to clear speed bumps and my driveway now. lol my stang would high center on the ramp to my driveway... had 1.25 inches clearance.

please, if you have any input, helpful comments, or really anything on the subject feel free to speak up! thank you all! :ACE:

I had the selectride on my 02 and I lowered the rear about 1" to 1 1/2". The front was already lower than most stock C5's.

You will need an alignment after you do it.

It might have stiffened the ride a little but not really noticeable in most conditions.

FWIW, I just spoke to a guy on the CF that says he has his lowered on stock bolts, and has for three years with no issues. I don't mean to push you in any direction, it's your car. I just assumed from chatting with you the other day that you would be all for it and was just offering to help.

BTW, weren't you saying that you have a stereo shop, or you're opening one, or something like that?

FWIW, I just spoke to a guy on the CF that says he has his lowered on stock bolts, and has for three years with no issues. I don't mean to push you in any direction, it's your car. I just assumed from chatting with you the other day that you would be all for it and was just offering to help.

BTW, weren't you saying that you have a stereo shop, or you're opening one, or something like that?

thanks for the info on lowering the car. yeah im all for it, just dont want adverse effects.

no, i don't own a stereo shop. It was indeed us talking about the suspension tho.

I would say then to just lower the car a bit, maybe an inch. With the narrowweels and tires you don't really want to slam it anyway. We can take it down a bit, and set the rake just how you like it. Takes about a half hour to do.

Lemmie know if ya wanna....

Guest Sidewinder

The selective ride is basically a magnet on the shock. When turned on it aligns metal particles in the shock which changes the characteristics (bound/rebound) of the shock.

The selective ride is basically a magnet on the shock. When turned on it aligns metal particles in the shock which changes the characteristics (bound/rebound) of the shock.

Correct. Metal particles suspended in the shock fluid. I think the greater worry though is how the system as a whole will respond to the lower stance of the car. As I understand it, the system only responds to actual jouncing of the suspension, measured through accelerometers and driver inputs; there is no suspension travel sensor. That being the case, the system wold never know that the car has been lowered.

At this point, I have heard from 5 or 6 guys on the CF, and they all state that there is no adverse affect from lowering the car on the stock bolts.

Correct. Metal particles suspended in the shock fluid. I think the greater worry though is how the system as a whole will respond to the lower stance of the car. As I understand it, the system only responds to actual jouncing of the suspension, measured through accelerometers and driver inputs; there is no suspension travel sensor. That being the case, the system wold never know that the car has been lowered.

At this point, I have heard from 5 or 6 guys on the CF, and they all state that there is no adverse affect from lowering the car on the stock bolts.

ok sounds good to me, so when do we do it! :rockon2:

Guest Sidewinder

I had an '03 with sel ride and when you turn the knob to "sport" the magnet comes on and the shock bound/rebound is set to a certain level. Lets say the with the suspension set to "comfort" or "#1" the magnet is off but when your go to "sport" it goes to let's say a "#3" The suspension won't adjust at all to anything i.e. speed/rough roads etc. It's on "#3" and it stays on "#3". I don't think lowering will hurt anything but you will probably get a little harsher ride in "sport" because the shock travel is shortened. Lower it on the stock bolts and enjoy :thumbs

Any time... I live at Starr Pass and I-10. I work M-F 8-5, but I'm free any evening and most weekends. The whole thing should take us about an hour if you figure time to really dial in the stance and test drive...

979-9889 is my cell, holla whenever...

Any time... I live at Starr Pass and I-10. I work M-F 8-5, but I'm free any evening and most weekends. The whole thing should take us about an hour if you figure time to really dial in the stance and test drive...

979-9889 is my cell, holla whenever...

thanks man, ill let you know. im gonna have to schedule an alignment for the same day i imagine...

Well, I aint gonna tell you not to, it's probably the better idea, but I haven't aligned my car, and it seems fine. the tires are wearing even, the wheel didn't shift... I'm thinking you're ok without it, or at the least, schedule it at your lesure. No need to figure out how to get it done instantly. We're only talking about going down an inch or so, I wouldn't sweat it. The suspension geometry doesn't change that much.

Well, I aint gonna tell you not to, it's probably the better idea, but I haven't aligned my car, and it seems fine. the tires are wearing even, the wheel didn't shift... I'm thinking you're ok without it, or at the least, schedule it at your lesure. No need to figure out how to get it done instantly. We're only talking about going down an inch or so, I wouldn't sweat it. The suspension geometry doesn't change that much.

right on, yeah i slammed my stang and didnt get an alignment, so i guess an inch or so will be fine. thanks buddy. im exited to have a lowered vette. its gonna be more kile sitting on the ground than it is already!

And then... when we're done... we can hack saw off the mufflers... :partydj:

im actually considering the Borla stingers. thats what i had on my stang and i loved it. im thinking about gonig with just two big tips in the back instead of four.

:agree when I did my C5 I didn't get it aligned for almost a month and then it was because I had a 5500 mi trip planned. As for the catback, you'd love the dual tip Borlas. I had them on the C5 and I pay three times what they cost if I could get rid of the drone in my C6.

Eddie, I know we don't have the same car but this one has coras on it and no drone.....

i don't like how the corsas sound on a C5... they sound incredible on an LT1 tho.

Eddie, I know we don't have the same car but this one has coras on it and no drone.....

The Magnaflows sound fine but with the A6 and the high gears GM puts with them they all drone at 1500-2000 rpm.