NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

GT-R racing video game

Hawkeye

Ive played a few video games over the years--such as Call to Duty 1 & 2, then tried NASCAR 04 when the wife gave it to me for X-mas. Then came Need for Speed, and Need for Speed -- Most wanted. All good games played on the Key board. Finally last year the wife bought me a Momo steering wheel and pedal set controller ($90) and these racing game really came alive. I can spend an hour or so a week blasting around the (need for speed) city or some Nascar track at insane speeds.

Last week I picked up GT-R FIA GT Raceing (PC) at Target in the cheap games section for $10. This game surpasses them all by a bunch. The graphics, sound, AI and sudo racing experience is amazing. It's white knuckles going down the straight at Monza 167mph to first chichane, down shifting from 6th to 2nd and over the curbs and off again.

Any racing enthusiast that hasn't tried this game or others like it are missing a fun experience. We all know that real racing is the best, but this is great fun, and a lot cheaper.

Has anyone tried out any other racing games that they consider to be good?

Hawkeye

Ive played a few video games over the years--such as Call to Duty 1 & 2, then tried NASCAR 04 when the wife gave it to me for X-mas. Then came Need for Speed, and Need for Speed -- Most wanted. All good games played on the Key board. Finally last year the wife bought me a Momo steering wheel and pedal set controller ($90) and these racing game really came alive. I can spend an hour or so a week blasting around the (need for speed) city or some Nascar track at insane speeds.

Last week I picked up GT-R FIA GT Raceing (PC) at Target in the cheap games section for $10. This game surpasses them all by a bunch. The graphics, sound, AI and sudo racing experience is amazing. It's white knuckles going down the straight at Monza 167mph to first chichane, down shifting from 6th to 2nd and over the curbs and off again.

Any racing enthusiast that hasn't tried this game or others like it are missing a fun experience. We all know that real racing is the best, but this is great fun, and a lot cheaper.

Has anyone tried out any other racing games that they consider to be good?

Hawkeye

I have GTR2 on this machine, with a Logitech wheel, and I can't keep the damn thing pointed straight.

Graphics seem to be bery good in my limited experience, but it's frustrating not being able to keep it straight.

So I haven't played it much.

I've tried Need For Speed and Project Gotham Racing on X box.

Prefer PGR, realistic tracks (can even try your hand at the Ring), lots of cars. NFS was more street racing type stuff, ricer type, while PGR was lots of different tracks/configurations. As far as Vettes, it was limited though, Callaway C12, Sledgehammer Twin Turbo, a ZR1 and a C6. No Z. My favorite cars on that one are the CLK SLR, Miura SV and one of the later Lambos, can't remember which.

I have not played Forza, but have seen guys play it, it seems much more realistic than either PGR or NFSC.

I am by no means an expert, but from what I know/have heard, XBox360 with Forza, PS with Gran Turismo are the ons to have. I guess.

Am considering the X360 simply for Forza.

I have GTR2 on this machine, with a Logitech wheel, and I can't keep the damn thing pointed straight.

Graphics seem to be bery good in my limited experience, but it's frustrating not being able to keep it straight.

So I haven't played it much.

I've been sim racing on my PC for years. My favorite is an old game called Grand Prix Legends. There is a racing community which has developed new cars, updated graphics and hundreds of real and fantasy tracks. The game still has an active following ten years after it's release. Totally unheard of in computers. The physics model and realism are pretty much unmatched. Very difficult as it can take years to become an expert driver of the old F1 cars with no aerodynamics. I have learned a lot about suspensions and race driving.

There are some new ones out like rFactor for PC that are promising.

I have a few racing games for my XBox 360 with a Sterring wheel. It works great with Project Gotham, but will not work with the other racing games. The sterring wheel has too much over steer and it make it very difficult to drive.

But with the normal controller, it is a blast to drive some super cars at over 200 mph.

Phil... :devil

I have a few racing games for my XBox 360 with a Sterring wheel. It works great with Project Gotham, but will not work with the other racing games. The sterring wheel has too much over steer and it make it very difficult to drive.

But with the normal controller, it is a blast to drive some super cars at over 200 mph.

Phil... :devil

I'll have to keep that in mind Phil. Thanks. Might have saved me $60+ on a wheel. :thumbs

Xbox (non-360)

I really get into Forza. But I have ralley racing too, and that is pretty intensive with the setups and the driving, lot's of sliding and jumping on the rally circuit.

I use the controller, never tried the wheel.

Xbox (non-360)

I really get into Forza. But I have ralley racing too, and that is pretty intensive with the setups and the driving, lot's of sliding and jumping on the rally circuit.

I use the controller, never tried the wheel.

I have the Logitech Momo wheel with a pedal set (gas pedal, and break pedal) ($90). The wheel has paddle shifters and 6 buttons for look back, clutch and what ever else you want. It works in a very realistic manor. Going into the corners at 170 mph then break, clutch, downshift from 6th to 2nd, feed in the power after apex, and off down the next straight. You can feather the gas through long sweapers. It is intence and way, way better than a hand held controller. If you turn on the "force feedback" you can "feel" the tires break loose and chatter over bumps.

It really works well with GT-R, NASCAR 04 but not so well with Need for speed. With the Pedal set and paddle shifters, it's the next best thing to really racing. Stereo sound---incredeble!

Hawkeye.

Best lap so far at Monza in GT car is 1min 52.8sec ------ Anybody do any better??

You might have to go into "Options"----then "controller" and reset the steering and the steering sensitivity. Make sure that it is not showing green to the right or left when the steering wheel is straight on the line. Be sure that the steering wheel is straight when you plug in to the USB port and turn onthe game. Also "option" for the paddle shifters and it is even better.

Hawkeye

Tried sensitivity settings at 100%, and at 0%. 0%, had to turn the wheel a long ways before it moved, then it was too late. At 100%, breathe, and the car jerks around.

Oh well, guess it isn't for me.

GTR2, GT Legends and a Logitech steering wheel for anyone that wants it.

You might have to go into "Options"----then "controller" and reset the steering and the steering sensitivity. Make sure that it is not showing green to the right or left when the steering wheel is straight on the line. Be sure that the steering wheel is straight when you plug in to the USB port and turn onthe game. Also "option" for the paddle shifters and it is even better.

Hawkeye

Tried sensitivity settings at 100%, and at 0%. 0%, had to turn the wheel a long ways before it moved, then it was too late. At 100%, breathe, and the car jerks around.

Dont' give up----This is a fantastic game.

Go to "options", Controll, Advanced,

then set Steering to 54%

Throttle, and Brake to 94%

Clutch to 20% and dead zone to these 3 to Zero

Have Force Feed back to off

Speed sensitive steering to 10%

Under "Bottons" shift up with rt paddle, and down shift with left paddle

Under "reality" set to Novis to start, have "traction controll" and "Anti lock brakes" set to "High"

Under "Game" set to "nose View", turn on Hud

Under Video----set Med for most things to start.

Note: if you dont' have a good video card, you might want to stick with GT-R 1---which isavailiable at Target for $10 and is 95% as good as GT-R2 but works with well with less advanced video cards. I have an old Radeon 9600 video card and it plays both well (512) ram. I bumped up my Virtual Mem to 1000, and cleaned all cashes.

If you send me a PM with PH #, I'll call and maybe we can get it going. It's too good to give up on.

I'm down to 1min 51.77 sec for a lap at Monza in a CR-5----still last on the grid.

Hawkeye

If I knew how to PM this to you -- I would.

Is this PC or XboX360? If the XboX360 I'd be interested...if you give up on it that is.

Is this PC or XboX360? If the XboX360 I'd be interested...if you give up on it that is.

PC.

I'll try it again, just don' know when just yet,

I've got GTR2, takes a lot of finesse with a steering wheel. I find less is more, doesn't take much input to get the car to do what you want. I have new respect for race car/truck drivers, the amount of skill to turn in constant lap times is incredible.

I've got GTR2, takes a lot of finesse with a steering wheel. I find less is more, doesn't take much input to get the car to do what you want. I have new respect for race car/truck drivers, the amount of skill to turn in constant lap times is incredible.

I know what you mean. I'd hate to be driving a real car as fast as I go in the game-----really on the ragged edge of adheasion. I am down to 1min 49 sec at Monza in a C-5R. I can't imagin how I'm going to get down to 1:46 for a middle of the grid time.

Hawkeye