Got Opti? (LT1 Optispark Questions)

92ZR1Wannabe

92ZR1Wannabe

I think my optispark is about to kick the can, with 117k on what looks like the original setup.

I stopped after work this morning to wash the car.... i never wash under the hood... Anyway the car ran great on the way to the car wash. Wash the car , pull out on florence blvd and lay into the gas , kicker a little squirrely down the road and away i go. Afew miles outa Casa Grande i start getting a miss at approx 1500-1600 rpm. No check engine lights or any other warning lights. The miss presists for approx 20 miles then clears up.

The car seems to run fine now, strong , with no miss. However I am thinking what happened was that water got in the opti setup and was causing a ground. 20 miles down the road it dried up enough to not miss and started running like normal.

So this tells me its time to change the opti before i get left on the side of the road.

Has anybody done this themselves? Is it a PITA?

Has anybody done this themselves? Is it a PITA?

NO, and Yes!

the girl i bought my car from had hers done - might as well have the water pump replaced while you're under there too! and also while it's apart - might as well change plug wires too - (that's a $100 job just for the 4 on the drivers side when the "front end" is all put together)

also, when getting a new opti - i'm pretty sure there are 2 kinds

(and the following information is probably MADE UP so i recommend researching it on your own )

i believe there is a vented one - that allows the moisture to "pass through"

if that's not teh case - the "non-vented" one keeps the moisture out - i don't know - but one is definitely better than the other - check C4 tech on CF - i guarantee you will find what you are looking for there - and heck, while it's apart - might as well change plug wires too - (that's a $100 job just for the 4 on the drivers side when the "front end" is all put together)

Guest Kens06

There are two kinds!! Weep hole (new) and non-weep hole (old)!!

I don't know what year they changed.

I went in for a cam change on my '96 and the tech changed out the waterpump under warrantee without even asking!! He was my bud, and did all the mods on my '96 while getting paid by a GM dealership!!

Ken

92ZR1Wannabe

Ya as far as i can tell, 92-94 were non vented spline driven opti's ... 95 and up were vented with a different kind of drive setup.

Ok so next question.... shoot me some names of GOOD shops , or dealer shops , that you would trust taking your car too. :)

3,503 lbs of trouble
Ok so next question.... shoot me some names of GOOD shops , or dealer shops , that you would trust taking your car too. :)

Call Doug Bromley. He will take care of that optispark jive.

Bromley's Performance Corvette

3738 W. Common Wealth Ave.

Chandler, AZ 85226

(480) 390-2652

Ya as far as i can tell, 92-94 were non vented spline driven opti's ... 95 and up were vented with a different kind of drive setup.

i can ask MY mechanic if he can get you in - the guy lives off of mountain view and pioneer road i think (in apache junction)

if your vette is your only transportation i don't recommend him, but if you have backup - this guy is a pretty good bargain

Guest GTrain

My 92 did it once. But once it drys up its not problem. My 96 SS also did it once when I drove though some deep standing water, but once dry, it ran fine and that was a few years ago.

Opti is easy to get on an off. You just have to get that freakin key in there just right ( only about 80 trys and I got it on an SS we were working on ;)