NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Better Intake----which

Hawkeye

Before I go to the Jan 12th Dyno pull, I would like to install a less restrictive air intake.

I have heard people mention products like K&N, Vararam, Blackwing, Haltech Fast 90, and I'm sure that there are others to be considered.

Now, whats the opinions and experience on these boards with replacement intakes for a 2007 C-6. Which should I buy?

2nd question-- Do I need an experienced shop to do this work. Which one? I have a friend with a lift who is a Mech, but not a whole experience on Vettes. Could he and I do the work? Are there any pit falls to be aware of in this project.

3rd question-----Where to order or buy said intake??

4th question--- are there any other mods that should be made at the same time as the intake? (manafold?)

all help is appreciated.

Hawkeye

Before I go to the Jan 12th Dyno pull, I would like to install a less restrictive air intake.

I have heard people mention products like K&N, Vararam, Blackwing, Haltech Fast 90, and I'm sure that there are others to be considered.

Now, whats the opinions and experience on these boards with replacement intakes for a 2007 C-6. Which should I buy?

2nd question-- Do I need an experienced shop to do this work. Which one? I have a friend with a lift who is a Mech, but not a whole experience on Vettes. Could he and I do the work? Are there any pit falls to be aware of in this project.

4th question--- are there any other mods that should be made at the same time as the intake? (manafold?)

all help is appreciated.

Hawkeye

Kand N, vararam, black wing are Air filters. THe fast 90 is a Throttle body and an intake manafold.

I like the Black wing bacause there is a spring loaded device that will tell you when to wash the filter element.

You to not need a mechanic to install an aftermarket airfilter.

An airfilter and Cat back exhaust should be the first mods on your list. After that it gets expensive.

cheers

cahd

:agree And you can do this yourself, it's not hard. Your friend can help. You won't even need a 'tune' for a cat-back and airfilter/airbridge mod, heck just ask for help or set up your own do-it-yourself get together and you'll always get some of these ACE mofos to help out, or just point and laugh. :yeah:

For more serious mods down the road I'd consider professional help, .....but my therapy was cuttin' into my mod budget so I quit goin' to the shrink. And who in their right mind believes there's such a thing as "too much horsepower"? :crazy

I do miss the meds though... :chris

Edit: In answer to at least some of your questions: I'd go with the Blackwing or the Halltech Stinger, ...cat-backs are a sensitive issue, you're best off listening to some examples of each kind you might be interested in ON THE CAR, not on video, take rides with ACE bro's and sista's, some drone or are too loud for some, and take into account what other mods the guy you're listening to has on his 'vette, a cam and headers make most every catback sound pretty wicked. I prefer B&B bullets, but I'm a wild and crazy guy that hates his neighbors. :phil evil:

:withstupid I endorse the opinions above this post. :lol Most have either the Blackwing or Haltech, both easy and reasonable.....for Vette intake$.

Now where to get them, just google , or your favorite search engine, "Donaldson Blackwing Intake" an "Haltech Intake". There are many places to chose from. Once you narrow your search down, repost, and you will get some opinions on the vendor(s) you have choosen. Happy searching!

Jason from Extreme may chime in on this soon!

:withstupid I endorse the opinions above this post. :lol Most have either the Blackwing or Haltech, both easy and reasonable.....for Vette intake$.

Now where to get them, just google , or your favorite search engine, "Donaldson Blackwing Intake" an "Haltech Intake". There are many places to chose from. Once you narrow your search down, repost, and you will get some opinions on the vendor(s) you have choosen. Happy searching!

Good, I hope Jason, and others do chime in. The more opinions -- the better. There is a lot of knowledge and experience out there on these boards and I'm willing to listen to all of it before I spend my hard earned $$$$$$$.

I have already done the Cat Back exhaust with the Magnaflows, and X-pipe mod from the late APS shop. This mod sounds great at idle and acceleration, but does drone unpleasently at 1500 to 1800 RPMs----which just so happens to be about 65 to 75 mph on the hiway-----argh!

More opinions please! and looking forward to seeing you all at the Dyno pull.

Hawkeye

Good, I hope Jason, and others do chime in. The more opinions -- the better. There is a lot of knowledge and experience out there on these boards and I'm willing to listen to all of it before I spend my hard earned $$$$$$$.

I have already done the Cat Back exhaust with the Magnaflows, and X-pipe mod from the late APS shop. This mod sounds great at idle and acceleration, but does drone unpleasently at 1500 to 1800 RPMs----which just so happens to be about 65 to 75 mph on the hiway-----argh!

Hawkeye

For drone issues, downshift and leave it in 5th. Surprisingly, it does not hurt MPG to raise the RPM's out of the "Drone Zone".

As for the intake, I'll add to the opinions above. I've got the Halltech and it works just fine.

Hawkeye

TO get rid of drin you have to change the Harmonics of the car (the Resonance Frequency). You have 3 options

-Change the car's Resonance Frequency. You can add 100LBs of Dynomat and lead.

- put in larger/ different mufflers. Cut hack slash.

- Put in shorty 17" or 15" glass packs mufflers. You will then have 4 mufflers on your car.

Here is the bad news. its a trial and error. Not all combos work the same for every car. This can get expensive.

good luck

Robert and Elizabeth

Hawkeye

For drone issues, downshift and leave it in 5th. Surprisingly, it does not hurt MPG to raise the RPM's out of the "Drone Zone".

As for the intake, I'll add to the opinions above. I've got the Halltech and it works just fine.

Yes, changing to 5th gear does fix the problem in my Z too. I'll only use 6th above 70-75mph. Also, if your Vette is under load, that may help with the dredded drone. Also, having it in 5th and at a higher RPM makes your Vette sound more aggressive and also gives you more power to pass and such. :thumbs

I have the same exhaust as you Hawkeye, done at the same place. Ours is 3 inches all the way back to 2 Magnaflow exhaust tips instead of the typical 4 tips. Very custom.

As for the air filter, I have a Haltech "Killer Bee". I don't know if they fit on anything but C6ZO6's though. If they do, I highly recommend it but only if Jason at Xtreme says it is ok. I had a regular Haltech intake previous to the "Killer Bee" and we liked it too. The regular Haltech air filter is a good place to start. We changed to the "Killer Bee" because we needed more air flow to the ported manifold/ported heads/CAM/headers/exhaust. You need a fine balance with the air flow from front to back or you could lose HP. Jason at Xtreme can help you with this so you don't get "unbalanced" and lose HP.

E~

I have no mufflers, just X-pipe and pretty tips. I solved the drone problem by droppin in a couple thousand watts of Kicker's finest. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in, exhaust drone is as easy to drown out as an annoying passenger. Just push play....

I have no mufflers, just X-pipe and pretty tips. I solved the drone problem by droppin in a couple thousand watts of Kicker's finest. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in, exhaust drone is as easy to drown out as an annoying passenger. Just push play....

Or put the top down

I installed the Vararam and the build quality and sealing was questionable.

I returned it and bought a CAI Callaway Honker.

The Honker is top notch quality and seals perfectly.

I installed it myself but it would be easier to remove and install the shroud with another pair of hands.

I bought mine from Callaway direct.

As for the air filter, I have a Haltech "Killer Bee". I don't know if they fit on anything but C6ZO6's though. If they do, I highly recommend it but only if Jason at Xtreme says it is ok. I had a regular Haltech intake previous to the "Killer Bee" and we liked it too. The regular Haltech air filter is a good place to start. We changed to the "Killer Bee" because we needed more air flow to the ported manifold/ported heads/CAM/headers/exhaust. You need a fine balance with the air flow from front to back or you could lose HP. Jason at Xtreme can help you with this so you don't get "unbalanced" and lose HP.

E~

Robert and Elizabeth

I am assuming that you are refering to "Xtreme motorsports" at 364 S. Smith Rd. in Tempe ???

Yes, Xtreme Motorsports is the place and Jason is the one to contact there.

E~

Cant go wrong with the Halltech :) We just got a fresh shipment of them in and the ones for the C6 with the Ls2 are the new Design. They are great for quality and price plus we toss them on for free when you buy them. You are welcome to swing by the shop anytime.

Also for performance we see about 12hp and 16lbs of tq on an un-tuned car. I would recommend though depending on what you are wanting to do to the car next to get the car tuned because CAI's drastically change the way the air/fuel is.

Lemme know :)

Cant go wrong with the Halltech :) We just got a fresh shipment of them in and the ones for the C6 with the Ls2 are the new Design. They are great for quality and price plus we toss them on for free when you buy them. You are welcome to swing by the shop anytime.

Also for performance we see about 12hp and 16lbs of tq on an un-tuned car. I would recommend though depending on what you are wanting to do to the car next to get the car tuned because CAI's drastically change the way the air/fuel is.

Lemme know :)

I'm not sure I would use 'drastically' when talking about just an air filter. Do you have any proof that it flows so much so that the computer can't make the changes on its own? Just adding more air won't change the AF tables, the computer is going to keep them at the tuned ratio regardless of the air filter on there right? If the computer doesn't adjust, wouldn't adding a better flowing CAI make the car run lean? Are you saying that the stock computer will allow this without being tuned?

I know that a tune on top of a CAI will optimize the gains from the new filter but that is with manually changing the A/F ratio to other than stock not as a result of the added air.

A tune by itself will get you more HP with or without an airfilter simply by maximizing the A/F ration to other than the rich settings from the factory. If you are planning on doing anymore bolton mods to the car, headers, FAST 90, etc. I'd wait and do the tune when you are done with that. Getting a tune with JUST an intake would be a waste of money in my opinion, especially when you have to pay for a "touch up" tune later on when you add something else.

My .02

The problem with a lot of the C5s and C6s is that a cold air intake drastically changes how the MAF reads airflow. The C5 and C6 have that squished down bend right in front of the MAF and any CAI that replaces the filter and that mid bent tube right before the MAF really throws off the MAF. Yes, that is the job of the fuel trims to correct the fuel ratio, but those big positive fuel trims that are the result also affect your calculated total air flow which changes load and that affects just about everything else in the process. A vette is about the only car I usually recommend that people get tuned and adjusted for with minimal mods like a CAI and headers because they are usually affected the most by a CAI. F-bodies, 04 GTOs, and many trucks/suvs don't have that issue as they are more of a straight shot into the MAF and/or have the smaller MAF to begin with which is much less affected by airflow changes pre MAF. Of course is it worth it really depends on how much money the person wants to spend on their car and do they plan on doing more mods down the road.

all help is appreciated.

Hawkeye

Kand N, vararam, black wing are Air filters. THe fast 90 is a Throttle body and an intake manafold.

I like the Black wing bacause there is a spring loaded device that will tell you when to wash the filter element.

You to not need a mechanic to install an aftermarket airfilter.

An airfilter and Cat back exhaust should be the first mods on your list. After that it gets expensive.

cheers

cahd

I use a K&N filter. as for drone, no problem. With QTP controlled cutouts, I push the switch when I want quiet, or open it up when I like a little throatier sound.