NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Corvettes disguised as Cadillacs for ALMS?

MOTV8

I just read about how Caddy has only sold about 1000 STS-Vs and 500 XLR-Vs since rollout. Total.

A whopping success. So then I read this story, and I wonder who they think they're kidding by planning on hanging Caddy body work on the C6R, is that gonna help sales? Maybe, since the V-series is supposed to get 500 horse supercharged 6.2s in the near future....

Source: Autoweek

Cadillac could return to the American Le Mans Series in 2009 as part of a major reorganization of General Motors' sports-car attack over the next two years.

Cadillac last competed in the series with its Northstar prototype in 2002. Its return hinges on Chevrolet graduating from the GT1 class to prototypes with a Corvette built to the new Le Mans LMP evo rules (Competition, Nov. 5). Cadillac then would move into GT1 or GT2 with a fixed-roof version of its XLR roadster.

Cadillac withdrew recently from the Speed World Challenge (Competition, Oct. 29) because the CTS-V it campaigned for the past four years is out of production. A 2009 XLR entry would make sense because it would co-incide with a facelift of the roadster. A move into GT racing would be relatively simple for Cadillac and Pratt & Miller, which masterminds all of GM's major road-racing campaigns. The XLR borrows heavily from the road-going Corvette and uses the same chassis.

A GT entry could be as straightforward as fitting the existing Corvette C6.R race car with new bodywork and a race version of Cadillac's V8 engine. A GT2 program could benefit from the Corvette being developed for that class by Riley Technologies (Competition, Oct. 15), which has close links with GM and Pratt & Miller.

GM Racing's official line is that all of its racing operations are up for review. A final decision on the Corvette LMP evo project is expected within a month; an announcement might come at the same time as Chevy confirms its return to GT1 in 2008.

I got your review right here, let's go kick some euro-ass!