NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Rear gear install question

92ZR1Wannabe

92ZR1Wannabe

Hola!

I have aquired another differential for my 92. My plans are to get my desired gearset (dunno if it is going to be 3.55's or 3.73's heck maybe even 4.10's) get them installed into this 2nd differential and then install the diff myself.

Question... Any good shops around that know what they are doing with the Dana 36's ? Probably does not have to be a Corvette specific shop, I just want somebody that knows what the heck their doing working on it and not somebody thats "Willing to give it a try".

And the next question... 92 A4 , which gear do you think would be the happiest in there? The car will most likely never be supercharged , turbo charged or anything else. Most i plan on doing is full exhaust, a LT1 ----> LT4 conversion and then a nice 125 shot if thats not enough to run down that damn lightning (Its pretty quick) my buddy has at work. The car is a 3rd vechile so i don't commute to work in it, but if i get the wild hair its a 85 mile drive. I have been leaning towards 3.73s but i thought i would get some input on this one.

All I am sure of at this point: Anything will be better then the 2.59's that are in there now!

I would check with Doug Bromley to see if he would do the install. If not, ask a few other Corvette shops in town.

For the gears, I would go with a 3.73.

I am running 3.73's in my car. It also has an automatic with overdrive. I am running about the same size tires as yours. Mine will do 80 MPH in 4th gear at about 2500 RPM.

If you are on 2.59's now and go to 3.73's plan on investing in some tires. You will have such a different "launch" with the new gears that it will just stun you. 1st gear will last about 3 seconds before you have to shift but it is a fun 3 seconds.

92ZR1Wannabe

Sounds good to me. Ill need to figure out which speedo gear I am going to need also.

I can't wait... The car pulls pretty good with 2.59s and it can still spin the tires even with those gears.. I am running 315/35s on the back. 3.73's should really wake the thing up. (Spinning tires does not win races, but sure can be alot of fun :) )

Do you have any contact information for Doug Bromley? Website or phone number or something?

Thanks!

Sounds good to me. Ill need to figure out which speedo gear I am going to need also.

I can't wait... The car pulls pretty good with 2.59s and it can still spin the tires even with those gears.. I am running 315/35s on the back. 3.73's should really wake the thing up. (Spinning tires does not win races, but sure can be alot of fun :) )

Do you have any contact information for Doug Bromley? Website or phone number or something?

Thanks!

i wish MY car would spin the tires with the 2.59's i got!

i can't even get it to break loose in a corner - something's seriously wrong!!!!!!

92ZR1Wannabe
i wish MY car would spin the tires with the 2.59's i got!

i can't even get it to break loose in a corner - something's seriously wrong!!!!!!

Ya not only 2.59's but tires that are almost a foot wide.

Itll spin em for like 5 or so feet and then just go.

You can reach Doug at 480-390-2652

• 1 month later...

With all this talk about rear ends, I was wondering what would be a good pick for my 2005 C6? I believe it has the stock 2:73, I was thinking of bumping it up to a 3:42. Would a 3:73 be better?

With all this talk about rear ends, I was wondering what would be a good pick for my 2005 C6? I believe it has the stock 2:73, I was thinking of bumping it up to a 3:42. Would a 3:73 be better?

I can't speak specifically for C5's ... but generally speaking any gear lower then a 2.73 (Numerically higher) your going to enjoy alot more then those. :burnout

I would ask around and find out what works best in those cars.

I think I am going to go ahead and settle on 3.55's .. They seem to be about the best all around gear for what Im looking for. They offer alot more bottem end grunt then 2.59s ... but they won't kill you on the highway. Although somebody did mention that they had 3.73s in their c4 and loved them .... hmmmm damn now im thinking again....

WIth an auto I'd stay at 3.45's. 6 speed, I'd say 3.73 or 3.90's