NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

got a C4 with a lazy eye

Togo

i think the gears just crapped out - the light didn't flip back under the hood tonight, so my guess is that the nylon is gone!

anybody got any experiencs doing this?

where can i get the parts - i know the usual channels - like mid america etc. but wondered if anyone local would have these - and not CnV :leaving

figures my car would crap out a week before the long haul to vegas! :mad

Hey, Your in luck...

I picked up a new roll of bailing wire to go with my roll of duct tape, let me know if you need any of it....

TV repair, or headlight repair, it will work either way!!! :D

Hey, Your in luck...

I picked up a new roll of bailing wire to go with my roll of duct tape, let me know if you need any of it....

looks like there's still a lot of "technology" lacking in Gila Bend huh?!?!?!

I did both of my headlight motors on the C5 and I assume they're about the same since the motors are the same ones used on an 85 Fiero my son had. Your's should be easier with the clamshell hood arrangement.

I bought mine from http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html and I'd be glad to help (supervise) you doing yours. Actually I have to take my driverside apart some time as it doesn't go up exactly right.

You know you can crank them up manually if you can't afford to do it before Vegas. Also, it's normally one side of the gear that stripes out so if you can manage to get it in the right position it may work for awhile.

You know, if someone had them local, even CNV, I wouldn't bitch about it. You said that like even if CNV had the parts you would't deal with them. I don't understand why people do that.

I hate Pep Boys, but if they have the parts and the price is some what close, dude I am going to Pep Boys and I am happy that I don't have to order parts and wait.

If CNV has the parts, be happy that someone has them. Other than them, I would try Hawks or the Chevy parts departments.

Hey, Your in luck...

You'd make Red Green proud :lol

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Let me check tonight, I might have my one good plastic one left. If you're in a money bind we could throw that one in for now. I replaced both while I was doing it but one was still good. Who knows how long it might last?

You know, if someone had them local, even CNV, I wouldn't bitch about it. You said that like even if CNV had the parts you would't deal with them. I don't understand why people do that.

I hate Pep Boys, but if they have the parts and the price is some what close, dude I am going to Pep Boys and I am happy that I don't have to order parts and wait.

If CNV has the parts, be happy that someone has them. Other than them, I would try Hawks or the Chevy parts departments.

i've dealt with cnv for parts before - well let's just say i tried - and when i found out they were twice as much as the mail order guys - i swore i'd never go there again - and they buy their stuff from the same mail order places as i can then mark up 100%

THEN i have to pay tax on top of that - i'm a cheap bastard, so i'll wait the extra time - and just crank them both up manually for now!

I went to 20th street salvage in Phoenix and got mine. This was about 6 years ago and the headlight motor still works great. Was very easy to place the entire unit.

Should take you about 45 minutes.

I went to 20th street salvage in Phoenix and got mine. This was about 6 years ago and the headlight motor still works great. Was very easy to place the entire unit.

Should take you about 45 minutes.

well the motor still works - it just that when turning them on or off, the get to their "stopping point" and then start clicking.

they are working now (occassionally) but i think i may just disable them, and manually flip them up until i can get it fixed.

3,503 lbs of trouble

Here are a few other local places for Vette parts:

Dunshee's Corvette Parts

Address:   7304 W Villa Rita Dr, Glendale, AZ 85308

Phone: (602) 938-8895

Corvette Salvage

Address:   9219 N 11th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85021

Phone: (602) 997-4261

Max's Vette Stuff

Address:   428 S Date # 6, Mesa, AZ 85210

Phone: (480) 964-0779

I've bought parts from Frank Dunshee. Good guy, and I believe a member of Sun Country.

well the motor still works - it just that when turning them on or off, the get to their "stopping point" and then start clicking.

they are working now (occassionally) but i think i may just disable them, and manually flip them up until i can get it fixed.

Yeah, my motor was still working. It was the plastic gears that were bad. But it was cheaper just to get the entire assembly than ordering new gers from GM.

Did both of mine about a month ago. The worst part was driving out the pin.

cool - think you could lend a hand - it's always nice to have someone guiding - that actually has experience!

Guest racingchester

If all it is is the 3 plastic bushings it would"t take that long. I could help you tomorrow after 4PM but I can't until next week after 4pm. Got to go to Tucson and see new granddaughter. Let me know. Chuck

well, i'll have to order the parts - so all i'll need is the bushings? or should i order the plastic gears too? or isn't there an upgrade for metal gears?

Guest racingchester

Mine were doing the skipping thing and all it was was the bushings. The bushings from Mid America are $4.99 for a set of three. Yah need 2 sets. My guess is all you ned are the bushings. If you can order the gear and return it if you don"t need it do it. But I bet its just the bushings. Mine were ground up like powder and the gears were ok. Chuck

are the gears that much harder to change? i mean, since we'll be in there, how much longer could it take? if it's too much trouble - i'll just skip - but it seems that the problem has subsided - i'd still l ike to replace - so when i get back from vegas, i'll order the parts and we can set up a corvette saturday and git 'ur done! :D

Guest racingchester

The gears in the motor itself are probably good - not to worry about them. The gears in the other part may be bad. You have to remove them to get at the bushings. What part of town do you live in? It could be an evening project - about an hour or less to do it. :yesnod

i'm staying on the west side - but can drive ANYWHERE! i just ordered a new brake booster for my car, so once that gets fixed, we'll talk and set something up!

heck, aren't most of us usually looking for an excuse to get together? well, this sounds like reason enough for me! :drinkers

so what "external" gears should i be ordering?

like i said, if it's coming apart, might as well replace stuff that is replaceable - rather than having to pull it apart AGAIN at a later time!