NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Corvette Evo Prototype: DEAD

MOTV8

:banannasword:

Chevrolet has started work on the design of a prototype built to the forthcoming Le Mans LMP evo rules. The design and build of the car, styled after the Corvette, reportedly have been signed off. It seems likely the car will race in 2009, the first season evo cars can race on terms with existing prototype machinery.

Pratt & Miller, which has masterminded the Corvette program for 10 years, is in charge of the project. The first phase of wind-tunnel testing is believed to be complete, and the plan is to have the first car running by next October.

The existence of the prototype project has not been confirmed by Chevrolet or Pratt & Miller. Both played down suggestions that they were interested in the new evo category when it was announced at Le Mans in June and are again refusing to confirm their plans for the future. "Everything's on the table; we are even looking at GT2," said Corvette program manager Doug Fehan.

The last comment appears designed to mask the existence of the LMP evo project. GM Road Racing boss Steve Wesoloski has stated more than once in the past two months that Chevrolet will not enter GT2 with a factory-backed program. But Chevrolet does seem likely to go back on its declaration that it would not race alone in the GT1 class of the American Le Mans Series for a second season. It is increasingly certain to field two Corvette C6.Rs in the ALMS for one more season, with or without yearlong opposition. Running a partial schedule also remains one option.

I can hardly wait to see this evo thing stomping thru the French countryside.... :rockon2:

Reason for edit: Changed the title of this piece of shit. Yea, I'm bitter...so what?

With Pratt & Miller behind it, that thing is going to be eating french bread and crappy out truffel.... trueffell... french fries!!!

BTW, nice sig!!! :lol

Here, I chopped the top off of Homer's ride and painted it black for you!!!

Why, thank you Sir. :banannadance: It looks badass!

I just hope they don't actually call it "Evo" something or other....but look out Frenchies! :rockon2:

I agree, evo would suck, how about whoppin azz in fiberglass!!!

How's the weight gain going? we thought about getting a shirt with Fastest Fat Guy in a Vert on it and giving it to you, the kicker was we were going to get it in size 4X large :lol :lol :lol

I agree, evo would suck, how about whoppin azz in fiberglass!!!

How's the weight gain going? we thought about getting a shirt with Fastest Fat Guy in a Vert on it and giving it to you, the kicker was we were going to get it in size 4X large :lol :lol :lol

:smilelol It might'vejust stretched over my enormous cranium... :lol

I'm wondering if this evo prototype they're workin' on would have the trusty LS7R motor or the new 'secret' but soon-to-be-in-a-production-car ZR1 type supercharged motor after race-tuning and tweaking....either way, I sure hope Aston and Ferrari work up enough sac to join the fun... :ken:

I would probably bet on the motor being the LS7R, I don't see GM handing over the new monster for racing, they will need every singe hand built one for the production run. Spares won't be out for awhile...

Besides, nothing can touch the 7R in class yet!!! :rockon2:

• 2 months later...

Still no Evo whiffs...in the meantime, Aston has repainted their cars powder-puff blue for Le Mans...

dbr9_gulf_001_lo.jpg

The now-famous powder-blue and orange Gulf Oil racing livery was on a 24 Hours of Le Mans winner for the first time in 1968 when Pedro Rodriguez and Lucien Bianchi piloted the #9 Ford GT40 to overall victory at the Circuit de la Sarthe. It has subsequently been worn by a variety of other racers at Le Mans, most notably the Porsche 917, and even on the R8 campaigned by Audi Sport UK in 2001. This year, on the 40th anniversary of that first victory, the Gulf colors will again be worn by contenders at Le Mans. The #007 and #009 Aston Martin Racing DBR9s will trade in their green livery for the iconic blue-and-orange as Aston looks to defend its GT1 crown against Corvette Racing. For a race as steeped in tradition as Le Mans, this change by Aston Martin Racing seems only fitting and further adds to the mystique.

Are they serious? Mystique? :huh

PRESS RELEASE:

Aston Martin to defend GT1 title with Gulf

Aston Martin Racing will return to Le Mans in 2008 to defend its GT1 title in the distinctive blue and orange livery of Gulf Oil.

Two Aston Martin DBR9s will look to emulate Gulf's first victory at the 24 hour race 40 years on.

Alain Dujean, Gulf Oil vice president international, said: "This is arguably the most important year ever for Gulf in motorsport. The famous Gulf racing colours first tasted victory at Le Mans in 1968, so 2008 already had great significance for us, but for Gulf to have joined up with Aston Martin Racing for this year is fantastic – the coming together of two great automotive names, for what I hope will be a long and fruitful partnership."

David Richards, chairman of Aston Martin, said: "Endurance racing is engrained in the heritage of both Gulf and Aston Martin and we have also both been intrinsically linked through Le Mans for many decades. It was perhaps destined that, in the year we defend our GT1 title and Gulf celebrates the 40th anniversary of its win, we would finally race together at La Sarthe."

The two Aston Martin DBR9s for 2008 will be entered as numbers 007 and 009.

I hope they choke with that Gulf paint, and spend 24 hours lookin' at the rear of some YELLER 'vettes!

• 2 weeks later...

Still no peep on the Corvette LMP "Evo"....GM must have that thing wrapped up tighter than a frog's ass...however, seems Aston might be heading to LMP1 as well....

Source: Winding Road

"We’ve now learned that Aston Martin Racing will have a hand in at least one LMP1 car during this year’s Le Mans series.

aston_lmp1_2.jpg

Granted, in this instance, Aston’s serving mostly as a powertrain supplier. The car, a new Lola B08/60, will be powered by the same V-12 found under the GT1-class DBR9. Although Aston will work with Lola to fit the engine and provide engineering support during races, the car itself will be fielded by the Czech Charouz Racing Systems team.

Although it remains to be seen how viable a competitor the Aston-Lola will be, we’re already excited with the possible showdown Aston could incite at Le Mans this year. We foresee another dogfight in GT1 between the effervescent Corvette team and the DBR9, but it might be just as neat to watch an Aston shake down the dominating LMP1 diesels of Audi and Peugeot."

ASTON MARTIN PRESS RELEASE:

Aston Martin Racing will provide engines for the Charouz Racing Systems LMP1 entry at this year’s Le Mans 24 Hours and in the Le Mans Series (LMS).

Aston Martin Racing and Charouz Racing Systems are taking advantage of new LMP regulations for 2008, which allow the use of a GT1 engine in a prototype chassis.

The team will use a new closed cockpit Lola chassis for 2008, fitted with the latest specification Aston Martin six litre V12 unit, which was used in the 2007 GT1 class winning DBR9. Aston Martin Racing will work with Lola to repackage the engine and drivetrain for the new chassis, while engineers from Aston Martin Racing will support the car on event.

Aston Martin Racing has contracted Tomas Enge, Stefan Mucke and Jan Charouz for the 2008 season. All three have been placed with Charouz Racing Systems and will race the Michelin-shod Lola/Aston Martin at Le Mans and in the LMS.

George Howard-Chappell, team principal for Aston Martin Racing, said: “The V12 unit has already proven that it has the performance and endurance to win at Le Mans. We are now looking forward to the challenge of repackaging it in a new lighter chassis and seeing how competitive it can be in the prototype class. It will be great new experience for me and all the team here at Aston Martin Racing.”

• 3 months later...

Ugh....sh!t or get off the pot. On again, off again Le Mans Evo prototype is off again, but Steve Wesoloski says: "I'm not giving up, overall [race] wins are still my target." What? Which is it?

Corvette Evo news

They wouldn't just scrap it, hell I bet they already have this thing sitting in a corner at Pratt & Miller just waiting to be let off the leash.... :ken:

And dude even admits they'll need a whole new car for 2010:

As for Corvette Racing's immediate future, GM's contract with Pratt & Miller runs through the 2010 season, meaning Corvettes are likely to continue racing for at least that long. The only questions are in what class and with what car.

It is well known that today's GT1 regulations are not long for this world, with a single, combined class set to replace it. Sources say the new class' rules will be much closer to existing GT2 regulations, meaning less exotic cars and technology, which also theoretically means reduced costs.

Wesoloski said that the FIA and ACO are working with GM, Porsche, Aston Martin and Ferrari to produce a class that allows all four companies to compete head to head against each other--and that means a new GM machine is on the horizon.

Wesoloski said, "[The new rules mean that] either way, [whether we race in GT or the Evo class], we're going to need a new car for 2010."

Desertdawg

With a whole new GT class, GM might be staying quiet about what they have sitting in the barn, no need in letting the cat out of the bag if they want to dominate from the beginning!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay...so I'm sittin' at the tire shop getting new meats thrown on the SRT8 and decide to read a magazine. Pick up the June 2008 issue of "Automobile", and they have an article about the possible design changes for the 2012-13 C7 Corvette. Lots of speculation, mid-engine, less weight, blah, blah, blah...

BUT...they get into the whole Le Mans Evo thing too, and with LMP1 set to combine with GT1 for 2010 they say Fehan and Pratt want to go for OVERALL wins, not just class victories, and that the racer WILL be mid-engined. Then they include the photo below, but don't say if it's a digital rendering or photochop or whatever...you decide:

2472351450_8d5c2bddc7_b_d.jpg

I'd say that is definitely not a real car right now. It would be exciting to see something like that come along, though.

I'd say that is definitely not a real car right now. It would be exciting to see something like that come along, though.

Well, I agree Ted, and unfortunately you are right, the image is just a rendering. I've been looking and looking for any whiff of hope for this Le Mans killer, instead I've just made myself sick by learning the the truth behind this whole fiasco....found this on AutoExtremist.com:

BREAKING NEWS: GM shelves its Le Mans "EVO" racing program.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. For those who are students of American racing history - especially when it comes to GM's star-crossed relationship with motorsport over the years - the latest news emerging from GM's Renaissance Center headquarters is not all that surprising, but it's still the quintessential definition of not good nonetheless. It seems that GM's executive brain trust has decided to shelve its "EVO" racing program (EVO is the new top category for the 24 Hours of Le Mans coming in 2010, replacing P1) after developing the program for the better part of eighteen months. The GM Racing entry - a mid-engine Corvette designed to the new EVO specifications - would have been called the C7R, and for the first time in 44 years, an American manufacturer would have competed for the overall win at the most prestigious endurance race in the world.

At least that was the plan.

First, a brief primer on EVO is in order. Contrary to erroneous reports that circulated a couple of weeks ago, the EVO class is very much a done deal for 2010. Generally, the EVO specifications are more restrictive than the current P1 rules, and the closed-roof cars will be required to have more of a direct visual connection to existing design cues from the manufactures. A key distinction with the EVO class is that overall operating efficiency and alternative fuels will be a crucial component to the rules package. The introduction of the EVO class also directly affects the GT classes as the current GT1 class will be eliminated, with GT2 becoming the premier production-based class. (At this time, the P2 classification stays, but what changes will be on tap remain to be seen.)

Regular readers of this website probably remember me talking about the possibility of a production mid-engine C7 Corvette right before Labor Day last year. The short story behind that idea was that when the EVO rules were first beginning to be formulated, the idea of doing a production mid-engined Corvette - which would link the mid-engine Corvette C7R EVO racer directly to the street car - was put on the front burner, with an intensive development evaluation undertaken last summer to see if it could be done at a reasonable cost. Late last fall, when the costs skyrocketed on the project, the decision was made not to go forward with a production mid-engine C7. You can read the latest on this in the new June issue of Automobile as Don Sherman enhances the rest of the story, with additional insight from yours truly. (You can also see an artist's conceptual rendition of what the C7R EVO might have looked like, which will make you weep.)

But even after the mid-engine design was tabled in favor of a tauter, lighter but traditional front-engine Corvette C7, GM Racing's EVO program was still going forward. That is it was until a couple of weeks ago, when GM's racing strategy board met to contemplate the EVO program. At that meeting, the board shelved the EVO program based on a recommendation that the car wouldn't have a direct connection to the production Corvette, and thus the reason for doing it was no longer valid.

Seems logical enough - at least on the surface - that is until you know the back story. There's a boneheaded faction within GM that is blindly devoted to NASCAR, to such an extent that all rational thought about the issue has been completely thrown out the window. One executive in particular (who shall remain nameless) is such a notorious NASCAR nut that he buys anything and everything the France family can shove his way, and it has become beyond category embarassing, especially now that NASCAR is on the decline and GM is buried deeply in long-term contracts with its NASCAR teams.

Knowing this then, the fact that the Corvette Racing EVO program was killed because it wouldn't be "relevant" to the production Corvette and thus shouldn't be continued, is laughable, especially considering the fact that GM endorses the so-called "Chevy Impala" used in NASCAR, that spec-bodied "CoT" blob that bares no relation whatsoever to any GM production car. As I like to say, you just can't make this shit up.

But then again, this sorry episode perfectly encapsulates the difference between a real car company, one that actually has racing as part of its basic corporate philosophy - let's use the Honda Motor Company as a prime example - as opposed to a corporate conglomerate that has managed to succeed on the race track in spite of itself.

Think about it, GM's success in racing over the years has never been the result of a corporate-level belief in, or understanding of, the fundamental importance of racing and the idea that racing is the ultimate development arena where young designers and engineers can be developed into the future lifeblood of the company.

No, with GM it was always about a hard-core group of enthusiasts within the company connecting with outsiders who then made it happen. Think Jim Hall, Junior Johnson, Smokey Yunick and Roger Penske, to name just a few of those outsiders. Even today, GM's ultra-successful Corvette Racing program - which has won the GT1 class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans five out of the last eight years - has achieved greatness in spite of GM, not because of it. In this case a dedicated bunch of True Believers within the company teamed up with one of the top racing organizations in the world - Pratt & Miller - to deliver results that few executives in the corporation can even begin to comprehend, let alone appreciate.

And so here we are. GM had the opportunity to do something really great by taking its championship-winning Corvette Racing program to the next level and by doing so sending a message around the globe that it had the guts to match up against the best auto manufacturers in the world (Audi, BMW, Honda, Peugeot, Renault and Toyota are all said to be working on EVO programs), and go for the overall win at the world's most prestigious endurance race. To make history even. But true to form, GM blew the opportunity to smithereens because it had the wrong people, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, making the wrong decisions.

This disgraceful development speaks to the very essence of why GM will always lack the passion for racing - and the understanding of the crucial role it can play - that other car companies like Honda and BMW display as part of their fundamental raison d'etre. It just isn't in GM's vacuous bean-counting culture to know the difference, or even bother to learn why it's important, either.

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

I hate them. Zora dreamed of both winning Le Mans, and a mid-engined world-beating Corvette, and these assholes wanna chase the Neckcar Cup. Buncha limp-dicked bean counters, they keep it up and there won't be many beans to count pretty soon, certainly not mine anyway...

Feast your eyes, fellow Corvette enthusiasts, for this is what could've been:

ConfACO_lmp2010.jpg

Yeah, it would be mid-engine, overhead cam, four wheel drive, made of adamantium, weigh 2200 pounds, develop 5000 lbs of downforce, make 700 hp in production form, etc.

All wet dreams should be that good! Those pics look a lot like the Saleen S7 with a Z06 hood scoop and side scoops 'chopped in.

Desertdawg
Then they include the photo below, but don't say if it's a digital rendering or photochop or whatever...you decide:

2472351450_8d5c2bddc7_b_d.jpg

Yes its a chop, I can point out at least a dozen little mistakes.

But damn that would have been a kick azz ride!

• 11 months later...

:partygrnhat: ttt....and back from the dead.

A HA! At last, the real Corvette LMP1 project.....in the flesh. :cfdeadagain

Looks like an Aston-eater to me. :banannasword:

It is still better than a rendering, but it's still dead.

Desertdawg

I don't watch le mans for the LMP cars, it's all about the GT class!!!