Attn: knkayotte

anmracing2

Keith,

If you look close at the first pic you'll see where the cherry picker is reinforced where the ram goes. The strap at the top is suppose to help reinforce it too, but as you can see from the second pic, that does not seem to be the case.

1447502635_aa6f7bc2d3_o.jpg

The reinforcement is right under the first hole to help support it.

1447502319_0899494427_o.jpg

It is pretty obvious that this hoist could have used the same reinforcement to keep from having this happen.

1448354694_ec8f3f1387_o.jpg

It seems that maybe the engine was dropped a little too hard which could cause this to happen if the weight was suddenly dropped and then stopped. Same design as Melissa's only without the reinforcement. What a difference....

Here is the link with the same pix I posted here. It gets kinda' hijacked towards the end, so I don't think there is much info about it IMO. This link has some good info about how to upgrade the cherry picker. Since the wheels are getting pretty worn out, I'm probably going to change them. Another thing about the engine hoist that we have, if you look at the first photo of the second thread you will see that the hoist only has four wheels. The one we have has six wheels. Much better for weight distribution I would say. Since ours folds up it also helps when it is put away. I think most folding cherry pickers will have the added wheels but I'm not sure.

If you can't find one with the reinforcement and if you know how to weld, I would weld some reinforcement on to it just to be safe after the warranty period. Melissa's engine hoist was made by Excaliber and made in the U.S.A. We have had this one for 10-12 years and have not had any problems with it other than the ram is getting kind of old and is not staying up like it should but it still lift just fine and I have not had the time to replace it or have it rebuilt.

I hope this helps with your decision on what cherry picker to get.

Andrew :andrew: