NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

This just in.

anmracing2

Lookin good!!! :edward:

Well, that motor looks sweet. What about the rest of the engine bay? Looks like it should be cleaned up a bit first. :devil

Can't wait to hear it ROAR! :yeah:

Hey Andrew, we drove by a few mins ago hoping to see that beauty in person. I figured I could get a few shots while pointing at it at least. :lol

Darn, wish we saw ya' Eddie.

We had to leave for a little while right around that time. I needed to get some parts and take a break from the header instal.... There has been a lot of cussing around here working on this...... Melissa has a real potty mouth......

Hey Sean,

The car will get painted later. I need to save up for that part. I would rather have it running first. I would hate to have a car with a nice paint job collecting dust waiting for an engine. Money is the main issue.......... I know it should look nice too, but I can only do one thing at a time and I would really like to be driving it!!!!

Once its running then all I need Melissa to do is pull the engine out when it's ready for paint. When it's being painted I'll have her change the cam to be more aggressive since the engine rebuild will be out of warranty by then. Probably go with the grind I really wanted (475 to 480 lift with the 309-312 duration keeping the 110 deg sep.) Then the engine and tranny will drop right in (all fuel lines and brackets already fab'd) and we'll be ready to go with minimal down time.......

I hope..... It sounds good in print......

Anyways, the main thing right now is to get everything that doesn't exist fabricated. I have to bend all the hard fuel line all the way back to the tank, new sender unit in the tank (already done), PCV hard line to carb with a oil seperator. I'm hoping to make it look orignial so when someone looks at it, it looks like the EFI was suppose to be on there. None of this braided line stuff. That looks too aftermarket to me. I like the braided line look but I'm going for a different look on this engine. The dyno has already been done so I don't even have to worry about the break in. We might even put mufflers on it..... Maybe....

Thank for all the kind words, can't wait to get this thing running!!!!

Andrew

EDIT: It dyno'd at a little over 400 horses, not as good as the engine that Melissa just pulled out and use to race but it does have potintial......

Looks verra nass :)

on cams:

Typical cam grinder spends mebbe 10k max developing a 'hot cam' ..

Chrysler spent over 100k developing each 'purple shaft' grind to get the most out of their motors.

The '6-pac' cam is cute ..good for restorer fanatics.

The 'hemi' grind will lope nice at idle.. however..

the .509" lift 292 duration hydrastic is about the best out there for the B-RB motors without the super duper heads and mega carbs.

It has a *very* nice choppy lope at part throttle, and will rock the car at idle :)

It pulls *hard* to 6k rpm.

For solids .. .590" 320 (with appropriate valve springs, rockers, and pushrods) really let 'em scream to 6000rpm.

The difference tween this and the hydrastic is the motor grabs rpm fast, and needs at least a 10" converter..

..you'll need much better traction than required for the hydrastic cam above ;)

DUSTR.jpg

I changed out the hydrastic to the solid on this beast years after I had switched from the 6-pac carbs to the tunnel ram..

..the hydrastic worked fine with the tunnel ram ..the solid just worked a *lot* better :)

If you decide to run the B-1 heads or some such, all bets are off .. can go alla way to .750 lift and alla duration you can stand,

..cause those heads will let it *breathe* much better ..two Dominators even for carbs :)

-Frank

Hey Sean,

The car will get painted later. I need to save up for that part. I would rather have it running first. I would hate to have a car with a nice paint job collecting dust waiting for an engine. Money is the main issue.......... I know it should look nice too, but I can only do one thing at a time and I would really like to be driving it!!!!

Andrew

Yeah, just had to bust your chops. :thumbs:lol

I can understand...I've got mods I want to do, but waiting on money first of course. :lol

I see we build cars the same way. :D Motor first, everything else come later. What EFI system you running?

Frank,

I’m not looking to go with a huge cam. Right now we have a 498/246 110sep in it so it should sound good. If anything, I would go with the 6-pack cam. That is down the road for now though. I need this to be more steetable than it use to be too. I don’t think this engine will see any track time or street racing. I don’t go cruising anymore so its gonna be a driver. Maybe it will be our grocery getter… But I still want the horsepower and especially the sound!

Keith,

I’m the “get it running, who cares what it looks like” type. I’m more concerned about the mechanics of the car. I’ve seen too many cars sitting in garages waiting for an engine and have an awesome paint job. That sux to have it just sitting there waiting. If it’s running then you can at least have some fun with it till the next step…

We went with the Edelbrock Pro-Flo. I’m concerned about how much tuning it will take. The lobe separation is less than desirable for the computer chip. It works better with a 112 sep. They said it would just take a little more tweeking than usual because their baseline is with 112. I don’t think it’s gonna be that bad but the Edelbrock guys just want us to buy their cam… I guess… 112 to 110 is pretty much standard so it should be ok…. Should be…

I looked into the Holley EFI but I didn’t want to ruin my intake. At least with the Edlebrock the whole thing is ready to bolt on. You just need the cam specs for the correct chip. You need to send in for the chip separately so that you get the correct one for your application.

I am starting to think about getting the EFI for the Vette. Then I won’t be so worried about if it is gonna start or not… But we will need to either figure out what cam is actually in the engine or change with something that we know the specs on.

Sean,

Every time I turn around I have something else I want to do with the car as far as painting is concerned. So That is gonna be a bigger decision. We are thinking about going with the correct body color. Metalic Brown… But I always see other colors that would look cool on this body style. Either way, I need to get on doing the bodywork too and that will be where most of the cost will go. I’ve already spent more on the engine than I should have. But that is what engine building is all about.

Andrew

Great looking motor guys. Are you needing a Corvette Sunday to help get er done? Just let us know...I'll start warming up my pointing finger. :cheers Robert :burnout

No plans for a Corvette Sunday yet..... Maybe a start up party will be in the works.......

Andrew