NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Corvette Racing Dominance

MOTV8

detroit033.jpg

I was just surfin over at CorvetteRacing.com and found all this cool info on how much ass Corvette has kicked lately, thought I'd play nice and share.....

Corvette Racing Record:

Year Races/Wins - ALMS Driver Champion / ALMS Manufacturer Champion

1999 6 / 0

2000 8 / 2

2001 10 / 8 / Chevrolet

2002 11 / 10 Fellows / Chevrolet

2003 10 / 5 Fellows/O'Connell / Chevrolet

2004 10 / 10 Fellows/O'Connell / Chevrolet

2005 11 / 10 Gavin/Beretta / Chevrolet

2006 11 / 6 Gavin/Beretta / Chevrolet

Total 77 / 51

Corvette Racing 24 Hours of Le Mans Record

Year Finish Class Car Drivers

2000 3rd GTS Corvette C5-R Pilgrim/Collins/Freon

4th GTS Corvette C5-R Fellows/Kneifel/Bell

2001 1st GTS Corvette C5-R Fellows/O'Connell/Pruett

2nd GTS Corvette C5-R Pilgrim/Collins/Freon

2002 1st GTS Corvette C5-R Fellows/O'Connell/Gavin

2nd GTS Corvette C5-R Pilgrim/Collins/Freon

2003 2nd GTS Corvette C5-R Gavin/Collins/Pilgrim

3rd GTS Corvette C5-R Fellows/O'Connell/Freon

2004 1st GTS Corvette C5-R Gavin/Beretta/Magnussen

2nd GTS Corvette C5-R Fellows/O'Connell/Papis

2005 1st GT1 Corvette C6.R Gavin/Beretta/Magnussen

2nd GT1 Corvette C6.R Fellows/O'Connell/Papis

2006 1st GT1 Corvette C6.R Gavin/Beretta/Magnussen

7th GT1 Corvette C6.R Fellows/O'Connell/Papis

2007 2nd GT1 Corvette C6.R Fellows/O'Connell/Magnussen

DNF GT1 Corvette C6.R Gavin/Beretta/Papis

Team Highlights:

Race wins: 51 (through 2006)

1-2 finishes: 34 (through 2006)

ALMS manufacturers championships: six (2001-2006)

ALMS team championships: six (2001-2006)

ALMS drivers championships: five (2002-2006)

24 Hours of Le Mans class wins: five (2001-02, 2004-06)

Sebring 12-hour class wins: four (2002-04, 2006)

Petit Le Mans class wins: five (2000-02, 2004-05)

American Le Mans Series records: Most race wins by entrant (45); most 1-2 finishes (29); longest winning streak in GT1 (12, 2005-06); most poles in GT1 Most race wins by entrant (45); most 1-2 finishes (29); longest winning streak in GT1 (12, 2005-06); most poles in GT1

ALMS From the Fans awards: Gary Claudio, Corvette marketing manager, 2002; Doug Fehan, Corvette Racing program manager, 2004

ALMS Most Popular Driver awards: Ron Fellows, 2004-06

Special awards: Corvette C6.R named "North American Car of the Year" by dailysportscar.com (February 2006); Corvette LS7.R engine named "Global Motorsport Engine of the Year" at the Professional Motorsport World Expo (November 2006)

First race: Daytona 24-hour, Feb. 5, 1999

First GTS win: Texas Motor Speedway, Sept. 2, 2000, drivers Ron Fellows and Andy Pilgrim

First overall win: Daytona 24-hour, Feb. 3, 2001; Fellows/Kneifel/Freon/O'Connell

First 1-2 finish: Daytona 24-hour, Feb. 3, 2001 (1st: Fellows/Kneifel/Freon/O'Connell; 2nd: Pilgrim/Earnhardt/Earnhardt Jr./ Collins)

First Le Mans GTS win: 2001 (Fellows/O'Connell/Pruett)

First ALMS drivers championship: Fellows, 2002

First ALMS manufacturers championship: 2001

First undefeated season: 2004 (9 ALMS races and 24 Hours of Le Mans)

Consecutive class wins at 12 Hours of Sebring: 3 (2001-03)

Corvette Racing Notes:

The Corvette C6.R is the most technically advanced sports car ever developed by GM, combining lessons learned in the dominant Corvette C5-R with the advanced technology of the sixth-generation Corvette and Corvette Z06 production models. In February 2006, the Corvette C6.R race car was named the "North American Car of the Year" over marques such as Audi, Aston Martin and Maserati by dailysportscar.com, a noted online magazine that provides in-depth coverage of sports car and GT series worldwide.

2007 marks Corvette's 51st year in international road racing. John Fitch and Walt Hansgen drove a Corvette to a ninth-place finish overall and a Class B victory at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1956, the first step onto the world stage that established Chevy's sports car as a contender in top-level competition.

The rulebook requires close adherence to production specifications, and the Corvette C6.R's roots reach to the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, Ky. The same hydroformed frame rails used in production Corvette coupes and convertibles provide the foundation for the racing version.

Corvette Racing's C6.R race cars are powered by race-prepared LS7.R small-block V-8 engines. In November 2006, Corvette Racing's LS7.R small-block V-8 was honored as the "Global Motorsport Engine of the Year" at the inaugural Professional Motorsport World Expo in Cologne, Germany. The award was voted by an expert panel made up of 50 key race engine engineers representing the spectrum of motorsports.

The GM small-block V-8 is America's most popular and most successful production-based racing engine. Total production of GM small-block-based engines is approaching 90 million units. This motor has powered more winning race cars and won more championships than any other engine in American motorsports.

:bowtie

Wow.

That is a heck of a record.

Chevy has truly gone beyond just 'earning' their racing stripes.

I like the fact that it's all production car based, not some one-off factory race car (ala Chapparral)(sp?)

I also like the fact that what they learn on the track they plug into the Vette that we drive :)

Suspension, motor, aero, ..even ergonomics .. it all comes together in a heck of an automobile.

I just cant see myself ever *not* smiling when I get in it :)

Even when some fart cart blows by with their hair on fire bein silly in traffic, I just smile.

It's not a Vette .. poor guy has no idea what he's missing.

-Frank

:phil evil: OMG, I just spent the last hour watching sick-ass C6R on-car race videos at this website for the Corvette Racing junkie: Bad Boy Vettes :cfdeadagain

Click on the videos section and you can pick from several tracks you wanna see the C6R shred, it's awesome! I watched the lap of LeMans 2007 twice! :burnout2

Edit: Vids are dial-up death! :hunter Go get some high speed internet!

:phil evil: OMG, I just spent the last hour watching sick-ass C6R on-car race videos at this website for the Corvette Racing junkie: Bad Boy Vettes :cfdeadagain

Click on the videos section and you can pick from several tracks you wanna see the C6R shred, it's awesome! I watched the lap of LeMans 2007 twice! :burnout2

You're still on dial-up??? :smilelol:smilelol That's too funny. :cfdeadagain

No, you bonehead. I have cable, I'm tellin' anyone with dial-up that those vids would take them days.....

BTW, crank the freakin' volume on those vids. That's how I want my 'vette to sound. :rockon2:

You're still on dial-up??? :smilelol:smilelol That's too funny. :cfdeadagain

Guess I better wait til we get back home then.....takes forever for just the smilies to load!!!